US Dollar

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

US Dollar

Postby yusuf » 30 Apr 2012, 03:57

Hi, Just wanna ask something. Does in Taiwan often use US Dollar or just use Taiwan Dollar? Will they accept if I use US Dollar? Thank you.
yusuf
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: US Dollar

Postby jp_mtl » 30 Apr 2012, 04:18

People just use Taiwan Dollar.
jp_mtl
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")

3 Recognized(s)

Postby Rabidpie » 30 Apr 2012, 15:54

yusuf wrote:Hi, Just wanna ask something. Is in Taiwan often use US Dollar or just use Taiwan Dollar? Will they accept if I use US Dollar? Thank you.

No one will take the US dollar but it's something easy enough to exchange at any bank. Make sure you bring your passport!
My anti Drug is Taiwan
Rabidpie
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

1 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)

Postby PigBloodCake » 30 Apr 2012, 16:54

Rabidpie wrote:
yusuf wrote:Hi, Just wanna ask something. Is in Taiwan often use US Dollar or just use Taiwan Dollar? Will they accept if I use US Dollar? Thank you.

No one will take the US dollar but it's something easy enough to exchange at any bank. Make sure you bring your passport!

Not really. Almost all will only accept Franklins (and not the North Korea ones).

There is only 1 bank that I know that'll accept non-Franklins.
Life is a bitch and death is her sister.

I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.
PigBloodCake
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

9 Recommends(s)
27 Recognized(s)

Postby California » 30 Apr 2012, 17:07

Pre-1997 100 US dollar bills wont be accepted in Taiwan due to excessive North Korean counterfeiting.

Fubon Bank will take American 20s though and post-1997 100 dollar bills.
Forumosan avatar
California
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

2 Recommends(s)
3 Recognized(s)

Postby yusuf » 01 May 2012, 20:33

I think I want to bring US dollar with me in Taiwan. Then I can exchange with Taiwan dollar at the bank there. Nvm, I got what did you say. Thnx.
yusuf

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Abacus » 02 May 2012, 00:40

just use an ATM.
Abacus
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

87 Recommends(s)
97 Recognized(s)

Postby Pingdong » 05 May 2012, 01:34

taiwan isnt as picky as some SE Asian countries, but damaged bills (ripped, written on etc) will be charged a fee to exchange. if its really bad they wont. also old style bills you need to pay a fee to exchange. so if you are bringing them, bring the new style without much damage. i never had troubles, but i never tried exchanging old 100s.
Pingdong

20 Recommends(s)
51 Recognized(s)

Postby nonredneck » 05 May 2012, 05:49

California wrote:Pre-1997 100 US dollar bills wont be accepted in Taiwan due to excessive North Korean counterfeiting.

Fubon Bank will take American 20s though and post-1997 100 dollar bills.

I've only had series 2006 or later 100 dollar bills are accepted.

I had no problems with exchanging series 2006 or later 100 dollar bills but I've had pre-2006 100 dollar bills flat out rejected (even series 2003).
nonredneck
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

3 Recommends(s)
7 Recognized(s)

Postby djkonstable » 05 May 2012, 16:01

Exchange while you can because based on the data I am looking at if the US Federal Reserve Bank decides to print more money. 1-2 more times of quantitative easing i.e. "American citizens footing the bill" your are going to be looking at USD to NTD rates that have never been seen before (less NTD for your USD). My wife and I have been discussing how we can take our money in NTD and other Asian currencies, sit on them, wait for the USD to fall along with even lower housing prices and we will buy that dream house we want in Santa Fe, NM. The primary indication to me that the USD is past the point is that when European data comes out, the USD doesn't get stronger, it continues to flat line or get weaker. Based on previous times it should become stronger. It is advantageous or worrisome depending on you knowledge and perspective.
I don't want to live in the fear of what could happen.
Forumosan avatar
djkonstable
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

2 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Next

x

Return to Living in Taiwan