what makes taiwan different?

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Re: what makes taiwan different?

Postby akikaki1 » 01 May 2012, 02:03

tommy525 wrote:I think the OP has to get the award for "most posts before setting foot on taiwan"

I find myself wanting to bitch slap him too at times and say just get the flock over there already :)

im waiting for the threads hes gonna start when hes actually over on "the wan".

Month and a half before I get to beautiful Formosa. And learn the most important language of the 21st century to please our new overlords.

Wo3 shi4 may3 guo2 ren2 ni3 Na?
akikaki1
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

ORIGINAL POSTER
11 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Postby jimipresley » 01 May 2012, 02:09

akikaki1 wrote:

wǒ bú xiàng gè fēngzi yíyàng de měiguórén 。 zǒukāi 。
You can live here and have a great life and not be the least bit into living the local life. Clowns will try to diss you for it saying you gotta get down with the program, but fuck em, treat this place like a buffet and yous be on a diet. Take what you want and nothing extra, slam those oysters, but leave the bread sticks and dinner rolls behind. - Deuce Dropper

I'm much more of a nasty rotter in real life, especially with vapid or vacuous verbiage from the ill read & intellectually challenged. - TheGingerMan

Don't be a cheap cunt. - Deuce Dropper
Forumosan avatar
jimipresley
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1020 Recommends(s)
385 Recognized(s)

Postby akikaki1 » 01 May 2012, 02:15

jimipresley wrote:
akikaki1 wrote:

wǒ bú xiàng gè fēngzi yíyàng de měiguórén 。 zǒukāi 。

Du4buchi3 wo3 hui4 shuo1 e4dear3 pu3tong1hua4
akikaki1

ORIGINAL POSTER
11 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Postby jimipresley » 01 May 2012, 02:20

akikaki1 wrote:

They don't say "pu tong hua" in Taiwan, mate. They say "chung wen". :wink:
You can live here and have a great life and not be the least bit into living the local life. Clowns will try to diss you for it saying you gotta get down with the program, but fuck em, treat this place like a buffet and yous be on a diet. Take what you want and nothing extra, slam those oysters, but leave the bread sticks and dinner rolls behind. - Deuce Dropper

I'm much more of a nasty rotter in real life, especially with vapid or vacuous verbiage from the ill read & intellectually challenged. - TheGingerMan

Don't be a cheap cunt. - Deuce Dropper
Forumosan avatar
jimipresley
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1020 Recommends(s)
385 Recognized(s)

Postby akikaki1 » 01 May 2012, 02:27

jimipresley wrote:
akikaki1 wrote:

Xie4xie

Wo3 xiang3 jen4 ma ying jeou
akikaki1

ORIGINAL POSTER
11 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Postby Deuce Dropper » 05 May 2012, 12:54

akikaki1 wrote:
jimipresley wrote:
akikaki1 wrote:

Xie4xie

gan4 gan4 gan4 stop making so many gan4 threads already for gan4 sakes.
Forumosan avatar
Deuce Dropper
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

93 Recommends(s)
463 Recognized(s)

Postby akikaki1 » 05 May 2012, 13:34

Deuce Dropper wrote:
akikaki1 wrote:
jimipresley wrote:
akikaki1 wrote:

Xie4xie

gan4 gan4 gan4 stop making so many gan4 threads already for gan4 sakes.

wo3 bu2 hui4
akikaki1

ORIGINAL POSTER
11 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Postby superking » 05 May 2012, 13:43

akikaki1 wrote: Defiantly recommending

One lesson, just learn one lesson. DEFINITE. DEFINITELY.

Being defiant means you are angry.
Not being able to spell definitely means you are lazy.
There are millions of people in the world. And none of those people is an extra. They're all leads in their own stories.

If you lose one sense, your other senses are enhanced. That's why people with no sense of humour have an increased sense of self-importance.

This post was recommended by jimipresley (05 May 2012, 13:55)
Rating: 4%
superking
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

93 Recommends(s)
339 Recognized(s)

Postby akikaki1 » 05 May 2012, 14:12

superking wrote:

How were you able to understand what I wrote? I wrote defiant. How did your brain's frontal lobe come to this conclusion? We are quite insignificant beings in the universe. There are probally advanced other beings not interfearing with us for environmental purposes. We are just particles of blown up stars formed by evolution. There is no riding just another word for our atoms functioning in a certain way. We well die and root and bacteria we feast on us as we feasted on them giving back what we taken in order to preserve life. We well never die and this life is our only life that we well have self awareness. For the end of days for life on earth we well be everything. Be it bark on a tree, muscles of a spider, eye ball of a human. We are everything.
akikaki1

ORIGINAL POSTER
11 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Postby superking » 05 May 2012, 16:00

akikaki1 wrote:
superking wrote:

How were you able to understand what I wrote? I wrote defiant. How did your brain's frontal lobe come to this conclusion? We are quite insignificant beings in the universe. There are probally advanced other beings not interfearing with us for environmental purposes. We are just particles of blown up stars formed by evolution. There is no riding just another word for our atoms functioning in a certain way. We well die and root and bacteria we feast on us as we feasted on them giving back what we taken in order to preserve life. We well never die and this life is our only life that we well have self awareness. For the end of days for life on earth we well be everything. Be it bark on a tree, muscles of a spider, eye ball of a human. We are everything.

Ooh now wait. You can't just assign thought to the frontal lobes. When they finally kill off Wernicke's and Broca's area and burn Dejerines work on agraphia people can finally start to think properly about language processing. To be honest my eyes work like yours, badly. They saccade. I saw your sentence, with it's lack of punctuated ending and thought, "What ho, this is the chap who hates that our language is difficult to learn, he probably can't spell a word like, 'definitely,' I'll give him a clip round the ear." Seems I was wrong, and you wanted to write, 'Defiantly,' and so you did. Looks like the fool is me.
There are millions of people in the world. And none of those people is an extra. They're all leads in their own stories.

If you lose one sense, your other senses are enhanced. That's why people with no sense of humour have an increased sense of self-importance.
superking

93 Recommends(s)
339 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Living in Taiwan