Do you ever think of other places and things you could be doing?

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Do you ever think of other places and things you could be doing?

Postby headhonchoII » 01 May 2012, 14:58

I sometimes daydream about other places I could be living and working

- Adelaide on the beachfront just to live in a small but pleasant city for a while
- Nantucket island in an old whaler house or maybe lighthouse for a year to see what it's like on the island in the off season and when it snows, when it gets hit by a hurricane or winter storm and when they are harvesting the cranberries
- Living in a remote cabin on the Newfoundland coast for a year like 'the shipping news' to experience all the seasons and proper solitude but without the murder bit ( never even been to Canada!)
- living on a ranch Montana cowboy style for a year, rounding up them steers in the Rockies but strictly one man tenting only!
- Hanging out in French Polynesia on my own yacht (never mind that I get seasick)

It's fun to daydream, anybody got places they would like to go or things they would like to do?
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1314 Recommends(s)
504 Recognized(s)

Re: Do you ever think of other places and things you could be doing?

Postby Icon » 01 May 2012, 15:24

A lot. Especially lately. :(
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

534 Recommends(s)
416 Recognized(s)

Postby Baas Babelaas » 01 May 2012, 15:38

Back in South Africa, nice house on Northcliff Hill, view over the city, and into the Magaliesburg Mountains, producing music videos on a tight budget, thus getting to give the finger the film industry bitches (and yes, they are in every country).

Forumosan avatar
Baas Babelaas
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

9 Recommends(s)
13 Recognized(s)

Postby Taiwan Luthiers » 01 May 2012, 16:35

Back in Austin, TX, still involved with the NRA, National Association of Rocketry, etc. probably working either as a gunsmith, luthier at a guitar repair shop (there are many in Austin), or a machinist (it depends on how each markets turn out, no way of knowing really).

I would probably be out launching high powered rockets, going to a shooting range every now and then (and possibly hunting), and have about $40,000+ of debt...
Taiwan Luthiers
KTV Is My Life (jiùshì ài chàng KTV)

1 Recommends(s)
74 Recognized(s)

Postby finley » 01 May 2012, 16:51

Great thread topic HH. Yes, all the time, and for some reason there always seems to be something "more important" to do. I don't feel like just lounging around doing nothing, but there are a lot of projects on the back burner that I don't want to see still there in ten years' time, when it'll be too late to do anything with them. On my to-do list: Sierra Leone and Guyana.

TaiwanLuthiers, not sure if you've ever seen this. Immensely cool.

"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
finley
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)

670 Recommends(s)
545 Recognized(s)

Postby Taiwan Luthiers » 01 May 2012, 17:00

No, but I seriously doubt I'd get that big, because as you double the rocket size, its costs will increase in logarithmic proportions. Unless I am insanely rich or have government backing, its doubtful I can get above a M type rocket engine on my own. Plus when you get larger you start having to deal with calculus which I just completely suck at.
Taiwan Luthiers

1 Recommends(s)
74 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 01 May 2012, 17:36

headhonchoII wrote:I sometimes daydream about other places I could be living and working

- Adelaide on the beachfront just to live in a small but pleasant city for a while
- Nantucket island in an old whaler house or maybe lighthouse for a year to see what it's like on the island in the off season and when it snows, when it gets hit by a hurricane or winter storm and when they are harvesting the cranberries
- Living in a remote cabin on the Newfoundland coast for a year like 'the shipping news' to experience all the seasons and proper solitude but without the murder bit ( never even been to Canada!)
- living on a ranch Montana cowboy style for a year, rounding up them steers in the Rockies but strictly one man tenting only!
- Hanging out in French Polynesia on my own yacht (never mind that I get seasick)

It's fun to daydream, anybody got places they would like to go or things they would like to do?

Forget Proulx and Theroux. Choose a writer whose name doesn't end in an x. Enid Blyton. A secret castle on an island off the Dorset coast. Swarthy smugglers of dubious European origin. Egg sandwiches and lashings of ginger beer. That's what you need.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
196 Recognized(s)

Postby OpelCali » 01 May 2012, 20:04

finley wrote:Great thread topic HH. Yes, all the time, and for some reason there always seems to be something "more important" to do. I don't feel like just lounging around doing nothing, but there are a lot of projects on the back burner that I don't want to see still there in ten years' time, when it'll be too late to do anything with them. On my to-do list: Sierra Leone and Guyana.

TaiwanLuthiers, not sure if you've ever seen this. Immensely cool.

I just spent four months in Sierra Leone and Liberia altogether last year. Definitely not the places u wanna go live in. I was in Freetown most of the time, but I also stayed a couple of days on Banana Islands and Ricketts. If there is anything u wanna know feel free to ask.
Taiwan ICDF (Mission Technique de Taiwan au Burkina Faso)

http://www.icdf.org.tw/mp.asp?mp=2
OpelCali
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

Postby Mucha Man » 01 May 2012, 21:06

Newfoundland? Jesus, I'd rather kiss a cod on the lips. Oh yeah, they like to do that there for fun.

Newfoundland was where my Catholic school did exchanges just to show us how easy a life we had in Vancouver.

The Gulf Islands. Now there's a place to dream about.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

636 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 01 May 2012, 22:17

When I daydream about living somewhere the word "working" does NOT enter into it. IF you gonna daydream why have to work? I aint working in my dream !

WORK is a 4 letter word. I do it cuz I have ta, not cause i really wanta you get my drift?

On the other hand, a lot of people who retire after a lifetime of WORK die soon after, so WORK must be a good thing.
the driveller - tommy525
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

477 Recommends(s)
315 Recognized(s)

Next

x

Return to Living in Taiwan