Do you ever think of other places and things you could be doing?

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Re: Do you ever think of other places and things you could be doing?

Postby tommy525 » 02 May 2012, 23:20

sometimes I do think of other places I could be and other people i could be doing.
the driveller - tommy525
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

477 Recommends(s)
315 Recognized(s)

Postby Abacus » 03 May 2012, 00:09

Charlie Jack wrote:I'd like to hike the Appalachian Trail one day. I guess I'd have to quit smoking for that one.

I saw a few smokers when hiking the Pacific Crest Trail 5 years ago but it would be better if you weren't. I also think the PCT is better although I haven't hiked the AT yet. Perhaps I'm partial but the AT is hot, muggy and rainy while the PCT is only hot(ter). The PCT also offers fantastic views almost every minute of every day and is less traveled. Here are my galleries from my trip (the Sierras were the best). http://www.pbase.com/kabeiser/pacific_crest_trail__2007 The next trail that I want to hike is the Continental Divide Trail thru the Rockies but I'm not leaving Asia for a few years.

I'm trying to get setup to just spend my time traveling endlessly. I think I have a plan but I will be very busy this year making it happen.

This post was recommended by 2 Forumosans: Charlie Jack (16 May 2012, 20:45), zender (03 May 2012, 07:36)
Rating: 11.76%
Abacus
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

88 Recommends(s)
100 Recognized(s)

Postby divea » 03 May 2012, 00:24

I'd like a job in some snooty exclusive club of like 30 members, no kids allowed, where I'm the lifeguard and all I'm supposed to do is drink those fancy drinks with umbrellas and say hello and goodbye to people who don't even see me. I can swim, lounge, and go home.
"It is the weak who are cruel. Gentleness can only be expected from the strong. "
- Leo Roston
divea
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

321 Recommends(s)
97 Recognized(s)

Postby Super Hans » 03 May 2012, 02:13

I guess it's pointless to think about what and where you could be, because unless you have a lot of money, it's impossible to change where you are and what you are doing. I try to change the perspective a little. Instead of : I could be a millionaire, sipping wine on my yacht in Monaco, I change it to: I will be a millionaire, sipping wine on my yacht in Monaco.
It doesn't work, of course, and it never will. But thinking like this at least gets me motivated enough to get up and feed the dog. Then I make every effort to fill my day, which is why I have just got back home - it's 0211 now and I haven't been in that long.

Then there is the other problem of Taiwan. Taiwan is like quicksand. You can sit there and be perfectly OK, but any attempt to move seems to swallow you even more. I think it is too easy to be comfortable here and not worry about too much. The trouble is, as you get older your options run out and you get left thinking things like: Do you ever think of other places and things you could be doing?
I have a plan anyway, and I'll try to stick to it. For once.
The bones got the wrong detail I hoped it would have for you
Safe for a shin bone or even a hand
It's such a lonely ride...

This post was recommended by 2 Forumosans: Icon (03 May 2012, 09:27), tommy525 (03 May 2012, 03:22)
Rating: 11.76%
Forumosan avatar
Super Hans
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

42 Recommends(s)
149 Recognized(s)

Previous

x

Return to Living in Taiwan