Do you ever think of other places and things you could be doing?

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Re: Do you ever think of other places and things you could be doing?

Postby zender » 01 May 2012, 23:44

Good question.

In fact, I spend most of my waking hours daydreaming about other places and things.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
At the Tokyodome...
Guy at the mic: "Ah yoo ready to rahk?!"
Crowd: RAAAHWR!
Guy at the mic: "Get ready fow ZENDAH!"
Crowd: Raaaahwr!

At a Yankee Stadium postgame interview...
Tito Francona: Zender, people once thought no batter could hit over 61 home runs in a season. Now you have hit over 160, and single-handedly destroyed the Yankees once again. What is your secret?
Zender: Oh, it's nothing really. I'm just doin' my job. I gotta give a lotta credit to the other guys on the team... I couldn't have done it without them. I just feel like the luckiest guy in the world to be playin' a game I love. :cool:

On Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous...
Robin Leach: Zender, you are the richest man in the world EVER! How did you get here from your humble beginnings?
Zender: Oh, Robin, I'm just so fortunate that some of those old cyberpals of mine on Forumosa, had faith in me and lent me their money while others were laughing at my idea of the miniature-golf swimming pool. Of course, those original investors are all billionaires now... One of them is still my friend to this day.

At the Oscars...
Meryl Streep: And for best actor and all-time-greatest everything, the winner is ..."Zender!"
Cameras pan to a surprised Zender, and everyone can read his lips, "Who . . . me?"

This post was recommended by pgdaddy1 (02 May 2012, 18:41)
Rating: 4%
zender
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

85 Recommends(s)
119 Recognized(s)

Postby 914 » 01 May 2012, 23:57

Oh so humble in your imaginary replies, zender! Shucks! :thumbsup:
Messages are sent from my iPad so if you find any errors, you may keep them. Myspacebarhasissues.
Forumosan avatar
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

Location: YVR to SFO to TPE; Now in semi-retirement in Sky Mother
35 Recommends(s)
38 Recognized(s)

Postby zender » 02 May 2012, 00:21

And sometimes I picture myself living in Tristan da Cunha.

I'm the world's greatest writer. I don't have much to say, so I don't write novels; I write pamphlets. :neutral:

Each pamphlet is two sides of a single piece of dark glossy paper. And each one is better than the last.

Magazines and talk shows are devoted to what the next pamphlet will be about.

Religions are formed on individual sentences.

I am very camera shy. The only photos of me are of a handsome young man. Women carry this portrait in a locket, so they can get frequent inspiration.

Chewdawg and other boys wear me on T-shirts.

Whenever a dilemma or great philosophical question arises, the wisest of the wise ask, "What would Zender do?"

And all others hold their hands to their hearts and repeat, "Yes, what would Zender do?" :cry:
zender

85 Recommends(s)
119 Recognized(s)

Postby finley » 02 May 2012, 12:50

OpelCali wrote:I just spent four months in Sierra Leone and Liberia altogether last year. Definitely not the places u wanna go live in. I was in Freetown most of the time, but I also stayed a couple of days on Banana Islands and Ricketts. If there is anything u wanna know feel free to ask.

I'm amazed to find someone here who has actually done such a thing. Forumosa is bigger than I thought.

I wasn't anticipating any amusement value - it's just a half-baked idea at the moment. I'm sending you a PM.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
finley
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

887 Recommends(s)
668 Recognized(s)

Postby Halo » 02 May 2012, 16:33

Besides the dream I had in April about being interviewed because I was an X-rated movie star.
Back in Europe chilling all day on the coast or at at cafe, but some of the things we could all be doing are possible.
2009 in Milan sitting around cathedrals trying to look international/cool with my shades on. It kinda worked.
Forumosan avatar
Halo
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

1 Recommends(s)
6 Recognized(s)

Postby Taiwan Luthiers » 02 May 2012, 16:58

Getting a commission from great guitar players and being paid a LOT of money?
Cat-gut strings are made from kitten guts, stretched out to near breaking point and then hardened with grue saliva. As a result these give a feeling of Pain and anguish whenever played, and often end up playing themselves backwards as part of satanic rituals.

Typhoon Guitars
http://www.typhoonguitars.com
Taiwan Luthiers

1 Recommends(s)
91 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 02 May 2012, 17:06

You guys have very creative fantasies, LOL. Me, I am doing this as an exercise, trying to decide on my next career move.

I was thinking about finding a job in Philly, not bad. I'd like to live as my coworker did, in a huge, old house in the outskirts, with like 6 roommates. Funny thing is that they never saw each other, as they all had crazy schedules, and the second time they were all together at once was when I went to visit. :lol: Luv museums and a walkable city.

I'd also like to go back to my old airline job, but at a bigger airport, like ORD or DFW. Maybe as a trainer, like mine, who was British, and they flew her all over the world to do the trainings. Problem was she was based in Heathrow. I do not want that. :lol:

I see the pictures my friend sends me from Vancouver and I think that would be a nice place to live. A nice little house in Burnaby with a garden for Bobby and Toto, biking on weekends.

In summary, I want to live in a cool place with snow, no more hot summers for me please. :p
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

769 Recommends(s)
593 Recognized(s)

Postby Petrichor » 02 May 2012, 17:12

I work hard on being happy now. I think striving is part of the human condition and that dreams are pleasant distractions from the humdrum of daily life, but the secret of happiness is learning to be content with what you have.

Having said that, I do also put a lot of thought into where I'd like to be in five year's time, so maybe I'm just a big hypocrite. :)
Use what talents you possess: The woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best.

http://talesfromthebeautifulisle.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Petrichor
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

89 Recommends(s)
94 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 02 May 2012, 17:19

The reason I posted this, is that I'm afraid to lose sight of all the other great things in the world out there. It can be easy to do that when you are stuck on an island pinned down in the day to day struggle for existence!
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1795 Recommends(s)
644 Recognized(s)

Postby Charlie Jack » 02 May 2012, 21:11

headhonchoII wrote:I sometimes daydream about other places I could be living and working

- Adelaide on the beachfront just to live in a small but pleasant city for a while
- Nantucket island in an old whaler house or maybe lighthouse for a year to see what it's like on the island in the off season and when it snows, when it gets hit by a hurricane or winter storm and when they are harvesting the cranberries
- Living in a remote cabin on the Newfoundland coast for a year like 'the shipping news' to experience all the seasons and proper solitude but without the murder bit ( never even been to Canada!)
- living on a ranch Montana cowboy style for a year, rounding up them steers in the Rockies but strictly one man tenting only!
- Hanging out in French Polynesia on my own yacht (never mind that I get seasick)

It's fun to daydream, anybody got places they would like to go or things they would like to do?

Yeah, I had some ideas, but your list looks better than mine.

I'd like to hike the Appalachian Trail one day. I guess I'd have to quit smoking for that one.
Charlie Jack
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

1217 Recommends(s)
216 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Living in Taiwan