"Maria" The domestic female worker

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

"Maria" The domestic female worker

Postby Dangergyrl » 01 May 2012, 22:05

Has anybody else noticed this recently? A lot of my adult students and now even the kids are using this term. Or name if you wish. "Maria" . If the girl is from the Philippines, Malaysia, Indonesian or wherever in SE Asia local people are using this to describe domestic helpers. It seems to be popular now.

Actual quotes

Her "Maria" was looking for the dog.
My family hired a new "Maria" but she is pretty.
The "Marias" take the grandfathers to Da'an Park.
The other "Maria" told her to run away.

It kind of irks me. Like my redneck uncle calling every black guy with a blue collar job Tyrone or every other Asian person Jackie Chan or Sue Wong or etc. I have not said much in class but it rubs me the wrong way.
Is that a rocket in your pants or are you just glad to see me.
Forumosan avatar
Dangergyrl
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

ORIGINAL POSTER
3 Recognized(s)

Re: "Maria" The domestic female worker

Postby Indiana » 01 May 2012, 22:11

Dangergyrl wrote:Has anybody else noticed this recently? A lot of my adult students and now even the kids are using this term. Or name if you wish. "Maria" . If the girl is from the Philippines, Malaysia, Indonesian or wherever in SE Asia local people are using this to describe domestic helpers. It seems to be popular now.

Actual quotes

Her "Maria" was looking for the dog.
My family hired a new "Maria" but she is pretty.
The "Marias" take the grandfathers to Da'an Park.
The other "Maria" told her to run away.

It kind of irks me. Like my redneck uncle calling every black guy with a blue collar job Tyrone or every other Asian person Jackie Chan or Sue Wong or etc. I have not said much in class but it rubs me the wrong way.

They have been doing that for years in Taiwan...they were using 'Maria' when I arrived in 2000. In fact, a lot of TW families call their maid 'Maria' even if it isn't her real name. They use it to substitute for maid / nanny / domestic helper. :eh:
Forumosan avatar
Indiana
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

5 Recommends(s)
39 Recognized(s)

Postby Enigma » 02 May 2012, 02:25

Life sucks. Dirty Americans and now Dirty Taiwnese.
The gardner is Pedro, regardless of his name.
The nanny is Maria, regardless of her name.
The Driver is Hugo, regardless of his name.
The student is . . . . . regardless of her name.
Do you perpetuate?
Why do students seem to have a NEED to have a Western name?
What's wrong with their name? Ever ask? Ever try?
So many beutiful people with beutiful names and yet we go on asking and accepting Western Names as the norm.
Why wouldn't students accept a standard name for a station in life. Don't you?
JMHO
Enigma
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)

15 Recommends(s)
10 Recognized(s)

Postby fh2000 » 02 May 2012, 11:22

In LA, all dish-washers, busboys, landscape workers, handy-man are called "Amigo" by Chinese.
fh2000

10 Recognized(s)

Postby tango42 » 02 May 2012, 11:45

The culture tends to use general somewhat standard terms in many situations for those above and below in status or situation no? And they use the terms as a form of familiarity and friendliness and sometimes makes the person addressed feel happy. I can only recall a few, but I hear different ones in different situations even when talking to strangers.

Maid is Maria.
Older man might be da ge.
Older woman might be da jia.
Mei mei, etc.
Laoban, etc.

So is "Maria" really considered a negative term by those using it? Or one of these general terms used for familiarity?
“Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson
tango42

6 Recommends(s)
41 Recognized(s)

Postby Halo » 02 May 2012, 16:20

Hmmm I didn't know it had been around since 2000 or so. They could just say the maid or the girl I guess. In the USA I find when people do it they seem to think using a sterotypical name is OK, but they don't like using their brains either. I don't do it and I think in a place like Taiwan they just say it and don't care. Maybe this is true in the USA and elsewhere. But my mother would never allow my family to use terms like "Maria." so I do not. I'm on the fence though, there are worse problems.

My question is I wonder how domestic helpers in TW feel about it. :ponder:
Forumosan avatar
Halo
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

1 Recommends(s)
6 Recognized(s)

Postby dahsiung » 02 May 2012, 21:56

As an aside, this reminds me of my grandmother. She grew up in New England and all the neighborhood families would universally refer to Irish maids as "Bridgett." As in, "Oh, could you send your Bridgett over to help mop the floor?" or "My Bridgett really needs to learn to polish the silver better."

tango42 wrote:The culture tends to use general somewhat standard terms in many situations for those above and below in status or situation no? And they use the terms as a form of familiarity and friendliness and sometimes makes the person addressed feel happy. I can only recall a few, but I hear different ones in different situations even when talking to strangers.

I'd have to roundly disagree with this point, though. Though not many would take offense to being called "Da Ge" or "Da Jie" and yes it is a term of familiarity. However, I don't believe any maids (Filipina or otherwise) would enjoy being called Maria, especially if her name was Constance or Josephine or Betty.
tango42 wrote:So is "Maria" really considered a negative term by those using it? Or one of these general terms used for familiarity?

It's not the majority culture that gets to define whether or not a term applied to a minority is offensive. White people in America can't decide that it's okay to call Jeremy Lin a "chink" any more than Taiwanese people can decide that it's okay to call all maids "Mary" or all white people "Ah Dok a." It's offensive if the person being addressed feels offended.
** Try to Laugh **
** Try to Smile **
** Try not to Cry **
** And enjoy your life **
*** Oh, and drink some tea ***
dahsiung
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

4 Recommends(s)
8 Recognized(s)

Postby touduke » 02 May 2012, 22:03

My question is I wonder how domestic helpers in TW feel about it. :ponder:

in tears.. they called me Maria again.. sniff..

my guess many of them don't mind, cause they have other hardship to deal with, like working 7/11, like having no own room, like not being able to leave the house alone, like getting abused, like having their lives depend on the good will of their 'owners', like not being able to have a boy/girlfriend/partner/spouse, like getting completely exploited and little money, like having no life.
But at least they are kicked out of the country once in a while so there's no danger they might end up staying permanently.
Forumosan avatar
touduke
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

67 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby Lili » 02 May 2012, 22:06

Anyone try to figure out if there is a meaning in Chinese?

"Ma Li A"

Anyone?
"I wanted to be puzzled and charmed, to experience the endless, beguiling variety of a continent where you can board a train and an hour later be somewhere where the inhabitants speak a different language, eat different foods, work different hours, live lives that are at once so different and yet so oddly similar. I wanted to be a tourist," Bill Bryson.
"...But I ended up in Taiwan," Lili.

Never underestimate how much assistance,
how much satisfaction,
how much comfort,
how much soul and transcendence there might be
in a cold bottle of beer.
-Tom Robbins
Forumosan avatar
Lili
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)

21 Recommends(s)
23 Recognized(s)

Postby Taffy » 02 May 2012, 22:48

Lili wrote:Anyone try to figure out if there is a meaning in Chinese?

There is none. It's from the Christian name Maria, reasonably common among Filipinas. Many Taiwanese are at least aware of the Virgin Mary too (mali'a).

By the way, the name "Ah-Huang" is often used on these boards in a similar generic fashion for a working class Taiwanese male.
Taffy
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

104 Recommends(s)
49 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Living in Taiwan