Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

ICRT

Moderator: Tempo Gain

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

skipping lightly around the topic

Postby Joesox » 02 Oct 2003, 22:58

Darkchild wrote:
enzo+ wrote:Didn't ICRT use to broadcast the BBC news between 6 and 7 am? Rather too early for most people, I'm sure.

Yup,but don't tell Sandman.It also airs on the weekend at the top of every hour.

Sandman are you from the UK by chance?Such discriminating taste can only be bred in the Queens neighborhood...

I thought Queens was in New York. If you mean the Queen's neighbourhood, Scotland is as far away as you can get from Buckingham Palace without stepping off the UK mainland. Politically, many Scots also steer far clear of the Queen although my father's family are among the 'loyalists' if you like; my uncle proposed a toast to her at my cousin's wedding.

The BBC World Service, especially the news is a cut above even the domestic consumption BBC channels, although it does include some of the better bits of that domestic consumption. A few years ago there was a big row when the Corporation wanted to merge domestic and World Service radio news production to cut costs. I certainly much preferred World Service news and found the domestic product rather parochial and crammed full of politics and politicking. I'm not sure whether the merger went ahead- I hope not.
Joesox
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

Postby Darkchild » 02 Oct 2003, 23:01

This was exactly what I was referring to.The BBC news is about as entertaining as watching grass grow.It's as dry as popcorn and,I'm not talking buttered.

Give me CNN anytime...
So,this horse comes into the bar and has a seat. The bartender comes over and says,
"Why the long face?"
Darkchild
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

Postby crisp » 03 Oct 2003, 02:31

Darkchild wrote:
Hakka,about an hour after arriving at my kindergarten class I was promoted so I missed that experience but,I'm sure you're in your own adorable way trying to attack my intelligence.

I'm assuming Ron and Darkchild are one and the same...if so, you must the genius that asked during your show who the president of Canada was. Not once in a slip of the tongue kinda way, but over and over in that endearingly repetitive way that acts as a theme for the rest of the show. It was a while back during some Canadian promo week but given that you obviously excelled at kindergarten, I can only wonder if at those giddy heights of educational excellence, you got promoted right out of the school system altogether.

I have the misfortune of having only a radio in the car and spend my return journey home with the last 15 minutes of Jeff "the complete twat" Locker followed by some rambling buffoon, who sounds as if he's trying to talk while chewing on a mouthful of chicken's foot. The utter banality of Ron "wacky funster" Stewart is bearable only by trying to guess what the f*@k he's talking about, and that he does signal the end of Jeffu's 15 minutes of pain. Blissfully the two shows are interupted by the BBC news, if only for a few well enunciated minutes.

In all honesty I still listen every night. I often think about turning off the radio, buying a CD player, chewing through my own spinal cord or on occassion, just walking the 20 kilometers to work. In the darkest moments of the unintelligble phone ins, whip cracking, canned laughter, I contemplate simply driving into the nearest concrete wall. If I thought my car was fast enough to end it all I probably would, but the thought of being left a mental cripple, a mindless vegetable is to much to bear, given that on waking from my coma I would undoubtedly be snapped up to DJ on ICRT. Thus my circle of shame would be complete. Ron, your show makes me laugh, I fear at you, not with you.

The only saving grace about your show, is its total lack of redeeming entertainment value. Meaning my few protesting brain cells are left to concentrate fully on my driving, thus ensuring a safe return journey home.

The blinding, nauseating migraine that follows each broadcast sends satanic fingers of white hot agony searing along my ganglia bringing blood dripping form my nose, the sight of which reminds me to thank you Ron for helping me not only to safely negotiate Taiwan's traffic, but also for helping me to realize that sadder, more boring, utterly incapable people do exist in the world, also doing jobs for which they have no right or reason to be doing. My own vast incompetencies seem to pale into insignificance.

Stated simply dear Ron, You help me think I'm a better person. For that peace, longevity and thanks.[/i]
crisp

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby chodofu » 03 Oct 2003, 03:00

sandman wrote:
Give me CNN anytime...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

CNN Sucks. Bunch of smarmy poppypoop. or did you expect to hear cock.

What did coroner say ... biased. not even.
poopy smarmycoop.

chou
chodofu

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

ICRT, Let's All Learn Chinese and English Together

Postby tango42 » 07 Sep 2010, 15:39

Wish ICRT would get rid of the Hakka learning and add Chinese learning. Quit advertising about English learning, when teaching Hakka. Some people spend months listening to the Hakka lessons, then realize it isn't Madarin.

Come up with a Chinese teaching concept, little bit of English, little bit of Chinese. This concept would be good for both English and Chinese learners to listen, and might help bring some people together who might just be listening to the same broadcast. I could imagine people walking around practicing something they had learned that day from ICRT, and then another person also practicing in the other language, and they both realize it. Taxi drivers would be in the learing loop also as many of them listen to ICRT to learn English. Call it "Let's All Learn Together" or something that everyone can relate to and tune into.

Market it to advertisers who will pay for english speaking market. English speakers just don't get enough information about Taiwan culture, food, etc. verbally and this concept might help.
“Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson
tango42
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)

Re: ICRT, Let's All Learn Chinese and English Together

Postby Dr. McCoy » 07 Sep 2010, 15:42

They have the Taxi Cab Chinese sometimes. It teaches you how to tell the taxi driver where you want to go.
Dr. McCoy
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

Postby sandman » 07 Sep 2010, 15:55

People LISTEN to ICRT? When did THAT happen? Plus, what ever happened to Crisp? That's classic post material for sure. Although I guess that Ron Stewart bloke is long since dead and gone. Or at least fired.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

Postby CraigTPE » 08 Sep 2010, 05:37

tango42 wrote:Wish ICRT would get rid of the Hakka learning and add Chinese learning. Quit advertising about English learning, when teaching Hakka. Some people spend months listening to the Hakka lessons, then realize it isn't Madarin.

I'm guessing they air the program because the Council of Hakka Affairs (not sure of the name) pays for it. They would probably air Chinese learning if someone wanted to pay for it.

I stopped listening to them when I put a new radio in my car with a USB plug. Now I can listen to my own MP3's or stream audio from the US over 3G with smart phone apps, although this latter system isn't very reliable as it looses the signal a lot.
CraigTPE
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

Re: ICRT

Postby Jonny Crisp » 08 Sep 2010, 10:07

Sandman wrote
People LISTEN to ICRT? When did THAT happen? Plus, what ever happened to Crisp? That's classic post material for sure. Although I guess that Ron Stewart bloke is long since dead and gone. Or at least fired.

I'm still here, as is Ron I believe. Now with ipod, I download BBC radio to listen to. Have you heard that Chris Evans? What a complete wan... :D
Jonny Crisp
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")

Re: ICRT

Postby Charlie Phillips » 08 Sep 2010, 13:53

:twisted: Nice little gravedig.

:wink: I heard the ICRT DJs all left years ago. The programming is an automated loop of the last few days of live broadcasting in 2003. Only the news is fresh - from the Internet, yesterday.

On and off over a few years, I had to edit transcripts of the ICRT news made from the audio-recording by a non-native speaker. He did a very good job considering the news was so badly read. No attention at all payed to enunciation and articulation. I had to replay pieces over and over sometimes to get the exact wording. On one or two occasions, I had to give up and write 'unintelligible'.

One doesn't articulate the news to a largely non-native language audience the same way you talk to your mates down pub.
OK, it's not a magazine. It's just shit that happens: here. http://news.thewildeast.net
Charlie Phillips
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)

In Taiwan since: 23 Mar 2003

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Return to Living in Taiwan