Some people do stop to help

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Re: Some people do stop to help

Postby jdsmith » 06 May 2012, 12:54

tommy525 wrote:Thats just it, i cant sleep so I come to haunt YOU :D

by the way, are you going to be still on forumosa when you have reached yonder shores?

Will you haunt like I do ?

No.
Your warning level: [1]
Forumosan avatar
jdsmith
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

56 Recognized(s)

Postby Super Hans » 06 May 2012, 14:10

Taiwanese usually don't stop to help. My own eyes and personal experience confirms this; and so do the countless youtube clips from in car cameras of people lying in the middles of the road after accidents while cars edge slowly around them.

SomeTaiwanese do stop. My own eyes and experience confirms this, but I don't think it is the norm by any stretch of the imagination.
The bones got the wrong detail I hoped it would have for you
Safe for a shin bone or even a hand
It's such a lonely ride...
Forumosan avatar
Super Hans
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

42 Recommends(s)
149 Recognized(s)

Postby tomthorne » 06 May 2012, 14:12

tommy525 wrote:Yes it was my impression (from this forumosa) that people were convinced people were not stopping nowadays. And I was very alarmed by this and had stated that , it was not what i perceived when i did live there.

So the question is, is it the norm now to NOT stop or is it not?

:roflmao: You can't seriously be forming an impression of Taiwan based on the "I hate it and them, but I still live here." brigade, can you?

As for your question - that's just going to turn the thread into a predictable big anti-Taiwanese bust up (and you know it). Always amusing on a Sunday if one needs to kill some time. :popcorn:
tomthorne
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

217 Recommends(s)
179 Recognized(s)

Postby jdsmith » 06 May 2012, 14:20

Super Hans wrote:Taiwanese usually don't stop to help. My own eyes and personal experience confirms this; and so do the countless youtube clips from in car cameras of people lying in the middles of the road after accidents while cars edge slowly around them.

SomeTaiwanese do stop. My own eyes and experience confirms this, but I don't think it is the norm by any stretch of the imagination.

Ya, and most accidents aren't horrible like the ones shown on youtube. I've seen dozens of minor bumps and scrapes and bang ups and in nearly every case, someone has immediately gone to help.

If some guy is destroyed by a cement truck and you have your kids in the car, would YOU stop? :ohreally:
Forumosan avatar
jdsmith
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

56 Recognized(s)

Postby Taiwan Luthiers » 06 May 2012, 14:23

tommy525 wrote:It has become the norm it seems in Taiwan to NOT stop to assist those who are hurt in traffic accidents. This is very alarming. However some do indeed stop to help as this following news article stated. If not for these people coming forward this mans murderer (yes it was murder what he did) wouldve gotten away free.

I hope this guy gets the book thrown at him.

http://taipeitimes.com/News/front/archi ... 2003532105

The prosecutor seems to agree with you, he has been charged with murder.

Another case several years back of a drunk driver who ran over a soldier, dragged him for miles then dumped the body, he was also charged with murder and sentenced to life.
Cat-gut strings are made from kitten guts, stretched out to near breaking point and then hardened with grue saliva. As a result these give a feeling of Pain and anguish whenever played, and often end up playing themselves backwards as part of satanic rituals.

Typhoon Guitars
http://www.typhoonguitars.com
Taiwan Luthiers
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

1 Recommends(s)
90 Recognized(s)

Postby E04teacherlin » 06 May 2012, 16:52

jdsmith wrote:
Super Hans wrote:Taiwanese usually don't stop to help. My own eyes and personal experience confirms this; and so do the countless youtube clips from in car cameras of people lying in the middles of the road after accidents while cars edge slowly around them.

Ya, and most accidents aren't horrible like the ones shown on youtube. I've seen dozens of minor bumps and scrapes and bang ups and in nearly every case, someone has immediately gone to help.

If some guy is destroyed by a cement truck and you have your kids in the car, would YOU stop? :ohreally:

If he had kids he'd probably drop them off at the grandparents first. Maybe he'd like it if all the cars stop. That's what happens in the West right? Everyone immediately stops.
E04teacherlin
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

85 Recommends(s)
50 Recognized(s)

Postby Nuit » 06 May 2012, 18:25

jdsmith wrote:
tommy525 wrote:Thats just it, i cant sleep so I come to haunt YOU :D

by the way, are you going to be still on forumosa when you have reached yonder shores?

Will you haunt like I do ?

No. Yes.

fixed :bow:
It's raining again here. I'm rising up like a beautiful bubble to the surface.

A wicked wind whips up the hill, a handful of hopeful words.
I was what you would call seriously strung out.
Forumosan avatar
Nuit
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)

74 Recommends(s)
101 Recognized(s)

Postby Nuit » 06 May 2012, 18:32

I'm in the Hans camp - my experience is that most people here do not stop for accidents that don't involve their kith or kin. I've been witness to a few minor scooter mishaps, with no-one batting an eyelid or caring a tinker's cuss about the rider. And this is backed up by the majority of dash-cam videos, where the accident onlookers act with the same amount of concern that would be expected when seeing a rodent being turned into roadkill.

But possibly a foreigner being involved makes it more likely. When my scooter fell over the other day as I approached it (like a faithful dog rolling on the floor to welcome back its owner), I was beseiged with well-wishers, even though I was totally unharmed.
It's raining again here. I'm rising up like a beautiful bubble to the surface.

A wicked wind whips up the hill, a handful of hopeful words.
I was what you would call seriously strung out.

This post was recommended by urodacus (06 May 2012, 20:38)
Rating: 4%
Forumosan avatar
Nuit

74 Recommends(s)
101 Recognized(s)

Postby bumclouds » 06 May 2012, 19:27

I'm wondering when that guy E04TeacherTim or whatever is going to step in here and tell us we're all wrong.

You're all a bunch of ignoramuses and Taiwanese driving is very civilized.
Your warning level: [4]
Forumosan avatar
bumclouds
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

99 Recommends(s)
82 Recognized(s)

Postby jdsmith » 06 May 2012, 20:26

E04teacherlin wrote:
jdsmith wrote:

If he had kids he'd probably drop them off at the grandparents first. Maybe he'd like it if all the cars stop. That's what happens in the West right? Everyone immediately stops.

When I took driver ed many moons ago, the instructor taught us to not stop at the scene of a bad wreck, but to stop at the first house and call for help, this being rural NY. I guess that is easier now with cell phones. As for the kids, I wouldn't want my kid to see mangled bodies. We're talking about those videos of scooters exploding against cars and trucks, btw. :hand:
Forumosan avatar
jdsmith
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

56 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Living in Taiwan