Victims of "Microaggressions"

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Victims of "Microaggressions"

Postby mike029 » 06 May 2012, 19:58

I came across this article today and I think it everyone should give it a read. Finally there's a word to describe the everyday monotonous conversations that wear us down. My favorite is the Simplified vs Traditional conversation. I've got that one down perfectly and don't have to think at all.

It's called "Yes, I can use chopsticks: the everyday 'microaggressions' that grind us down", and it hits the nail on the head. This article's about Japan, but the exact same things apply here, as well.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/text/fl20120501ad.html

Ironically, I found this article while sitting on the train in Yilan just after a group of Uni students "welcomed me" to Taiwan with some awkward group attempt in English, to which I replied in Chinese that I've lived here for three years, met with outrageous laughter from the group because omfg the "Indian" can speak Chinese. I wasn't gonna tackle the fact that I'm not Indian and just walked away, disgusted, yet again. It's not my job to teach geography and educate this whole damn island on appropriate social norms. It's our job as foreigners to deflower the locals, obviously. That's been our role for centuries.

This post was recommended by bob_honest (08 May 2012, 09:00)
Rating: 5.88%
mike029
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

ORIGINAL POSTER
3 Recommends(s)
40 Recognized(s)

Re: Victims of "Microaggressions"

Postby Indiana » 06 May 2012, 20:05

Interesting, insightful, and very true of experiences in Taiwan as well. It really does wear you down...it wore me down anyway. It was refreshing to move to the UAE where I NEVER get questioned / treated like that.
Forumosan avatar
Indiana
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

4 Recommends(s)
37 Recognized(s)

Postby Belgian Pie » 06 May 2012, 20:14

or leaving the only empty train seat next to them

That's because they don't want to bother you with their presence ... :roflmao:
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1 Recommends(s)
60 Recognized(s)

Postby tomthorne » 06 May 2012, 20:34

While Dr. Sue's suggestions are interesting, the major flaw with transferring the results to Taiwan is that the "cultural representatives of all Taiwan" are a handful of posters on forumosa.
tomthorne
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

218 Recommends(s)
179 Recognized(s)

Postby EddieG » 06 May 2012, 20:41

1. I live in Yilan at the moment. I get this kind of experience daily, not just on the train.

2. Wait until you marry a Taiwanese woman and eat with her extended family often. That takes the annoyance of the chopsticks thing to another level. You think they should know that after five years that I do know how to handle them sticks...
-
EddieG

4 Recommends(s)
7 Recognized(s)

Postby creztor » 06 May 2012, 22:12

Just don't eat with her extended family then. Problem solved :)
Lost in Kaohsiung :D

This post was recommended by tomthorne (06 May 2012, 22:14)
creztor
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

90 Recommends(s)
18 Recognized(s)

Postby tomthorne » 06 May 2012, 22:19

Don't take any more shit than you are prepared to deal with in your home country. Why is this so difficult?
tomthorne

218 Recommends(s)
179 Recognized(s)

Postby Confuzius » 06 May 2012, 22:21

:boo-hoo:

Seriously
"Knowledge alone is transitory, the outcrop subsequent to 'I desire all things'". - A. O. Spare

This post was recommended by bumclouds (07 May 2012, 01:08)
Confuzius
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

113 Recommends(s)
76 Recognized(s)

Postby mike029 » 06 May 2012, 22:44

tomthorne wrote:Don't take any more shit than you are prepared to deal with in your home country. Why is this so difficult?

Resistance is not futile; it is in fact counterproductive.

I think this line is interesting. I can't keep explaining to every single person that Americans don't have to look like Anglo-mix blonde hair, blue eyed lacrosse players and that it's a multi-ethnic society. I can't keep saying ABCs are not 回来ing TW because they are not Chinese/Taiwanese by nationality, just ethnicity. I now just say I'm from a country that I "look like" because trying to teach them about the world outside of TW takes too much of my energy and time and they really didn't care to learn in the first place otherwise they would have already known. Also, it makes that monotonous conversation I already had twice that day last longer than I wanted it to.

I don't treat a Chinese/Hispanic/Indian/not-white person in the United States with that amount of disrespect asking them why they are in America, how long they are staying, fumble at their 'native language' because there's no way they can speak mine, and be amazed they can use a fork every single time I see them just because I'm "curious to learn about them". It's just tiring to have to deal with the same shit all the time. I try to mix it up to keep from going crazy. Last week I was Italian, and this week I'm going to be Argentinian. Also, I'm a masters student at NTU studying....international relations or something.

Anyone who doesn't believe at least some part of this article is living in complete denial.

tomthorne wrote:While Dr. Sue's suggestions are interesting, the major flaw with transferring the results to Taiwan is that the "cultural representatives of all Taiwan" are a handful of posters on forumosa.

This doesn't make any sense. ??

Belgian Pie wrote:
or leaving the only empty train seat next to them

That's because they don't want to bother you with their presence ... :roflmao:

I wish they would have that same courtesy when they hold my food hostage to chat with me. :lol:

This post was recommended by nemesis (04 Jun 2012, 13:07)
mike029

ORIGINAL POSTER
3 Recommends(s)
40 Recognized(s)

Postby tomthorne » 06 May 2012, 22:50

mike029 wrote:
tomthorne wrote:While Dr. Sue's suggestions are interesting, the major flaw with transferring the results to Taiwan is that the "cultural representatives of all Taiwan" are a handful of posters on forumosa.

This doesn't make any sense. ??

Where else are you getting your representations of Taiwan from?
tomthorne

218 Recommends(s)
179 Recognized(s)

Next

x

Return to Living in Taiwan