Victims of "Microaggressions"

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Re: Victims of "Microaggressions"

Postby bismarck » 12 May 2012, 22:27

Muzha Man wrote:
bismarck wrote:...How can I be more interesting to a guy than someone with nice legs (in short pants/skirt), a nice bum and boobs?


Recently, at the Mogao caves outside Dunhuang I made a similar observation to my travelling companions. How is it that at a site with 1500 year old frescoes and statues made by some outrageously talented artisans, how is it that WE are what the locals are most excited to see? :lol:

Ha! Indeed! I can picture it now. :D

touduke wrote:I had to involuntarily burp when I came to the "courteous" part. But then I regained my composure. Sure, when you write "foreigner" you mean white skinned humans who look like they come from America, right? If, then I agree with you. But the majority of foreigners are treated as servants by people and the country's law and, as observed many times, the politeness and courtesy of Taiwanese towards those shows often (not always) the hallmarks of a master-servant relationship.
I agree with you that many Taiwanese in many situations are nice to me (the white / blond human).

But I do think Taiwanese, in general, are nicer to foreigners than they are to fellow Taiwanese.

The politeness towards "us" is different, I would agree on that. Isn't this a little disturbing?

Man, you and your non-white foreigner deal. What's up with that?
Was at a 小北百貨 yesterday to buy a cooler box. There were five very dark Filipinos or Thais in the store and the staff were very accepting of them and chatting up a storm. Very friendly and "micro aggressive". Shit. I hardly got a "how do you do"?
Image
World Champions 1995, 2007; Tri-Nations champions 1998, 2004, 2009; Grand Slam Champions 1912/13, 1931/32, 1951/52, 1960/61; Defeated British & Irish Lions 1903, 1924, 1938, 1962, 1968, 1980, 2009
Image
Super 14 Champions 2007, 2009, 2010
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Second of all, as in all honeymoons, all is well until it is not. It is until the unexpected happens that you will see all grievances surface -ask anyone in any relationship. The girl can chew with her mouth open, that if you love her, you do not care. If you do not lover her, if her pinkie toe is half an inch deviant, the relationship is doomed. - Icon
Forumosan avatar
bismarck
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)
 
Posts: 11605
Joined: 07 Jan 2005, 04:44
Location: Tainan City 台彎, 台南
150 Recommends(s)
143 Recognized(s)



Re: Victims of "Microaggressions"

Postby touduke » 12 May 2012, 22:40

Ginger Man - seems to me that you misread mike29 post and missed the point. He was not saying that his Chinese is amazing, he was talking about his experience, that people will use exaggerated term to applauded his Chinese, a form of micro-aggression, if you so will.

Bismarck, I hope you have noticed that there are 2 big groups of foreigners in Taiwan.
What is it with you and your anecdotal evidence?

there is no micro-aggression cause you just had a "normal" conversation with a Taiwanese.
there is no hardship for blue-collar workers cause you just saw some Filipinos having a chat with some Taiwanese.
smoking is not bad for your health, I know a old lady who smokes for 60 years.
Forumosan avatar
touduke
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
 
Posts: 604
Joined: 03 Jun 2008, 23:25
67 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)



Victims of "Microaggressions"

Postby headhonchoII » 12 May 2012, 22:41

Confuzius wrote:
touduke wrote:
Confuzius - the "events" you listed have nothing to do with you being white - rather with somebody helping you. Is your point "people in Taiwan are more polite to me than to my Taiwanese friend"?


My point was microagressions against foreigners is pretty much a myth.

But I do think Taiwanese, in general, are nicer to foreigners than they are to fellow Taiwanese. They are more helpful, more polite and courteous. Maybe its a cultural hospitality ideal or perhaps just they are generally good people who want to help others. Being a foreigner, one is more often in need of assistance than a native is.


You mean to Westerners right? Because blue collar foreigners have almost no rights here.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)
 
Posts: 12622
Joined: 26 Aug 2002, 10:40
Location: Taipei
1719 Recommends(s)
622 Recognized(s)



Re: Victims of

Postby Deuce Dropper » 12 May 2012, 22:49

headhonchoII wrote:
Confuzius wrote:
touduke wrote:
Confuzius - the "events" you listed have nothing to do with you being white - rather with somebody helping you. Is your point "people in Taiwan are more polite to me than to my Taiwanese friend"?


My point was microagressions against foreigners is pretty much a myth.

But I do think Taiwanese, in general, are nicer to foreigners than they are to fellow Taiwanese. They are more helpful, more polite and courteous. Maybe its a cultural hospitality ideal or perhaps just they are generally good people who want to help others. Being a foreigner, one is more often in need of assistance than a native is.


You mean to Westerners right? Because blue collar foreigners have almost no rights here.


Sadly you are right, but I think to be fair, TWnese are generally less friendly to Southeast Asians because they assume someone else is 'handling' them and they become a nuisance to others. They are often looked at with suspicion because it is assumed they should be somewhere doing something for someone else. Whitey on the other hand is someone who can mill about freely and to be fair, and someone they want to have a positive impression of this island when they leave it. Of course some people just don't have time for people from elsewhere, but you will find that anywhere, ironically in Taiwan I've experienced that the dislike is not as much from the 'Taike' set (though some thuggish elements won't hesitate to sort 'adogah' out, especially in smaller cities) but more from the educated local professors. Not sure what they teach here, but people with local PhDs seem to have a lot of preconceived notions about foreigners.
Forumosan avatar
Deuce Dropper
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
 
Posts: 3831
Joined: 30 Nov 2008, 16:09
Location: 北市
93 Recommends(s)
466 Recognized(s)



Re: Victims of "Microaggressions"

Postby bismarck » 12 May 2012, 22:54

touduke wrote:Bismarck, I hope you have noticed that there are 2 big groups of foreigners in Taiwan.
What is it with you and your anecdotal evidence?

there is no micro-aggression cause you just had a "normal" conversation with a Taiwanese.
there is no hardship for blue-collar workers cause you just saw some Filipinos having a chat with some Taiwanese.
smoking is not bad for your health, I know a old lady who smokes for 60 years.

Evidence? Evidence of what? What are you on about??

And only "two" groups of foreigners? So you agree with the locals then? White in one corner and everyone else in another? I think you're being a bit microagressive. :2cents:
Image
World Champions 1995, 2007; Tri-Nations champions 1998, 2004, 2009; Grand Slam Champions 1912/13, 1931/32, 1951/52, 1960/61; Defeated British & Irish Lions 1903, 1924, 1938, 1962, 1968, 1980, 2009
Image
Super 14 Champions 2007, 2009, 2010
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Second of all, as in all honeymoons, all is well until it is not. It is until the unexpected happens that you will see all grievances surface -ask anyone in any relationship. The girl can chew with her mouth open, that if you love her, you do not care. If you do not lover her, if her pinkie toe is half an inch deviant, the relationship is doomed. - Icon
Forumosan avatar
bismarck
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)
 
Posts: 11605
Joined: 07 Jan 2005, 04:44
Location: Tainan City 台彎, 台南
150 Recommends(s)
143 Recognized(s)



Re: Victims of "Microaggressions"

Postby touduke » 12 May 2012, 23:07

Bismarck - I don't understand your post. Seems to me you have not read mine properly or we are just on a completely different wave length that we just can't comunicate. This is not the first time I have this feeling, so I think it is a genuinely tricky situation, Sorry I pass.
Forumosan avatar
touduke
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
 
Posts: 604
Joined: 03 Jun 2008, 23:25
67 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)



Re: Victims of "Microaggressions"

Postby Mick » 12 May 2012, 23:10

A while back the person who collects money in my local parking lot always would exchange a few words, perhaps a few here might consider a Microaggression. No wicked stares, or frowning on my part, I would patiently exchange a few words before having my ticket stamped.

Roll forward a couple of weeks, the guy has a set of dvd's, music and movies to give to me, and still on occasion will wave my parking fee. I'm still happy to smile and exchange a few words. Or call this type of behavior a Microaggression and upset him and yourself, up to you.
Forumosan avatar
Mick
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
 
Posts: 3025
Joined: 13 Aug 2006, 18:36
Location: Taipei
56 Recommends(s)
98 Recognized(s)



Re: Victims of "Microaggressions"

Postby touduke » 12 May 2012, 23:15

Sadly you are right, but I think to be fair, TWnese are generally less friendly to Southeast Asians because they assume someone else is 'handling' them and they become a nuisance to others. They are often looked at with suspicion because it is assumed they should be somewhere doing something for someone else.


I don't understand the "to be fair" bit. I can't imagine a more grotesque way of justifying or making excuses for someone for acting in a certain way than I find in this quote.


Roll forward a couple of weeks, the guy has a set of dvd's, music and movies to give to me, and still on occasion will wave my parking fee. I'm still happy to smile and exchange a few words. Or call this type of behavior a Microaggression and upset him and yourself, up to you.

who on earth would call this type of behavior "microaggression"?

look
A says "I don't like apples! They taste bad"
B to A "I can't understand why you don't like oranges - They taste well!"
A "huh?"
Forumosan avatar
touduke
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
 
Posts: 604
Joined: 03 Jun 2008, 23:25
67 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)



Re: Victims of

Postby Confuzius » 13 May 2012, 01:43

headhonchoII wrote:
Confuzius wrote:
touduke wrote:
Confuzius - the "events" you listed have nothing to do with you being white - rather with somebody helping you. Is your point "people in Taiwan are more polite to me than to my Taiwanese friend"?


My point was microagressions against foreigners is pretty much a myth.

But I do think Taiwanese, in general, are nicer to foreigners than they are to fellow Taiwanese. They are more helpful, more polite and courteous. Maybe its a cultural hospitality ideal or perhaps just they are generally good people who want to help others. Being a foreigner, one is more often in need of assistance than a native is.


You mean to Westerners right? Because blue collar foreigners have almost no rights here.


Ya, just talkin 'bout whitey
"Knowledge alone is transitory, the outcrop subsequent to 'I desire all things'". - A. O. Spare
Confuzius
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
 
Posts: 1525
Joined: 05 Jun 2011, 08:09
113 Recommends(s)
76 Recognized(s)



Re: Victims of "Microaggressions"

Postby Petrichor » 13 May 2012, 07:20

touduke wrote:who on earth would call this type of behavior "microaggression"?

look
A says "I don't like apples! They taste bad"
B to A "I can't understand why you don't like oranges - They taste well!"
A "huh?"


I think the difference between your take on your experience in Taiwan and others here is that others see the 'hello!' in the street and the gift of CDs as part and parcel of the same thing. Some special treatment for being a foreigner is more enjoyable than others, but you have to take the rough with the smooth and the smooth far outweighs the rough. You acknowledge whiteys get privileges but don't like it when the 'hello!' annoys you. Others accept the 'hello!' as mildly annoying but an extension of the gift of CDs. What's apples and oranges to you is just apples to me, and I think the people who disagree with you here.
Use what talents you possess: The woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best.

http://talesfromthebeautifulisle.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Petrichor
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)
 
Posts: 1446
Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 04:30
Location: Muzha
86 Recommends(s)
90 Recognized(s)



FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext




Proceed to Living in Taiwan



Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: No Forumosans and 3 visitors

If you don't want anyone to know, don't do it -- CHINESE PROVERB