Victims of "Microaggressions"

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Victims of "Microaggressions"

Postby headhonchoII » 07 May 2012, 14:38

In the end we have to do what makes us happy, and the good thing about Taiwan is we have the freedom to reinvent ourselves as we wish. Don't want to integrate and live in your bubble, and play your xbox360, I respect that. Want to chew betelnut and go shrimp fishing and drinking Taiwan pijiu, I respect that too.

Just got to take a deep breath and go all zen on their ass or explode in furious justice and then go get yourself a Taiwan beer.

Do what you can to keep sane and happy, no judgments , no advice.

Only one caveat, people drinking brown bottles of Taiwan beer, you know the one that tastes like they added chemical ethanol?

Yes you dude. Don't ask me how much I like Taiwan beer and offer me a glass from your brown bottle. That is serious aggression right there. Shengpi or Asahi all the way, you should know better!
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.

This post was recommended by Tomas (07 May 2012, 14:46)
Rating: 4%
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1718 Recommends(s)
622 Recognized(s)

Re: Victims of "Microaggressions"

Postby superking » 07 May 2012, 14:43

touduke wrote:let's measure the aggression level of your post - I give it something between micro and mezzo aggression.

but seriously - I think your whole post was something of a awkward landing - especially comparing the reaction to us Western foreigners with the one to an autoimmune desease on the skin was kind of bumpy.

about "go home for a month" and "reading again" - I'd like to help you with this. You wrote:
YOU guys can get on a plane and go home and it will all be over for you. But you insist on staying.

Ok, you carry on seeing what you want to see. :D
There are millions of people in the world. And none of those people is an extra. They're all leads in their own stories.

If you lose one sense, your other senses are enhanced. That's why people with no sense of humour have an increased sense of self-importance.
superking
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

93 Recommends(s)
338 Recognized(s)

Postby BigJohn » 07 May 2012, 14:43

Wow! 7 pages so soon! This thread definitely hit a nerve.

The word micro-aggression - I'm not sure if it is really accurate. In many cases I am sure there is absolutely no aggression intended. In some cases it feels like, "you're on MY turf boy."

Nevertheless, it is strange and somewhat uncomfortable to be stared at or chatted up. But I think the problem with it is a lack of empathy. That is, the starer or chatter upper (upchatter?) is apparently not thinking about how the staree or chattee is feeling.

A man is at a river in a park with his kids, playing in the (clean) water. A foreigner (me) walks by. The man stares, thinking: "Huh! A foreigner! Wooowwee!" But he apparently is not thinking, "I'm staring at someone, maybe they feel it is strange." I stare back, unsmiling. He waves, grinning. He might be thinking, "I want to interact with this guy because he is a foreigner." But he is not thinking why I would want to interact with him. Because I am a foreigner? Because he is Taiwanese?

So I ignore the wave and smile and go about my business. The guy looks away and stops staring. In the end, he probably thinks I'm a dickhead for being so unfriendly. Too bad, but I am not going to interact with him on the basis that "I am a surprising, entertaining foreigner".

Was this guy micro-aggressive? I'd say so, a bit. He was in my face.
Forumosan avatar
BigJohn
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

1 Recommends(s)
118 Recognized(s)

Postby Petrichor » 07 May 2012, 14:54

Ah well, some foreigners manage to be happy here, enjoy their lives, Taiwan, the Taiwanese, raising their kids, the whole shebang, despite the fact that they're living in the same place and having the same experiences as those who complain. I think that says something and I know who I'd rather be.
Use what talents you possess: The woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best.

http://talesfromthebeautifulisle.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Petrichor
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

86 Recommends(s)
90 Recognized(s)

Postby Formosa Fitness » 07 May 2012, 15:19

Petrichor wrote:Ah well, some foreigners manage to be happy here, enjoy their lives, Taiwan, the Taiwanese, raising their kids, the whole shebang, despite the fact that they're living in the same place and having the same experiences as those who complain. I think that says something and I know who I'd rather be.

I'm glad you got a chance to feel superior.

For me, it isn't about being a victim or whining because people are being mean to my kids. It's about finding a coping strategy to deal with the problem and teaching my kids to stand up to it.
We are a foreign owned and operated full service gym in Taipei specializing in serious fitness. Check us out: http://formosafitness.com/
Forumosan avatar
Formosa Fitness
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)

96 Recommends(s)
33 Recognized(s)

Postby California » 07 May 2012, 15:21

I was at the Mcdonalds the other day with an ABC girl (one who clearly looked foreign) out in the boonies of Taipei city (Wanfang) and a small boy was who was next to us said "meiguoren." The girl I was there with was upset and asked me why he was saying that.

There are basically two courses of action here.

1) Start pointing at him and going "taiwanren, taiwanren, taiwanren" and be a jerk

2) laugh and go "nihao" with a wave

I chose the latter, because not only is it not the complete asshole thing to do but clearly someone who says out loud "meiguoren" right next to a foreigner doesnt see many very often. What is the point being a jerk to this kid, he is just going to remember it as "how foreigners act".

I don't play cultural representative much but I was drunk. And I guess that is the point. If you cannot handle yourself politely when in a situation that quite frankly happens every day then you need to be drunk all the time. Whiskey sells for under 200NT at 7-11 so you have no excuse, buy a flask today and start enjoying a happy life.
Forumosan avatar
California
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

2 Recommends(s)
3 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 07 May 2012, 15:36

TAiwan is a different Planet in so many ways. Takes one 3 years to come to grips with the place. But then if you can take it for 3 years you may end up staying 30 before finally you have built up quite the energy (cuz you just cant take it no more , no more) to blast yourself back OUT of Taiwans gravitational pull.
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

607 Recommends(s)
376 Recognized(s)

Postby BigJohn » 07 May 2012, 16:29

Most of the long timers I know about like to bitch sometimes. They would largely agree about these micro aggressions, sometimes called "subtle racism".
Forumosan avatar
BigJohn

1 Recommends(s)
118 Recognized(s)

Postby Petrichor » 07 May 2012, 16:36

Formosa Fitness wrote:
Petrichor wrote:Ah well, some foreigners manage to be happy here, enjoy their lives, Taiwan, the Taiwanese, raising their kids, the whole shebang, despite the fact that they're living in the same place and having the same experiences as those who complain. I think that says something and I know who I'd rather be.

For me, it isn't about being a victim or whining because people are being mean to my kids. It's about finding a coping strategy to deal with the problem and teaching my kids to stand up to it.

This isn't about being superior or not. What I said is true, and it isn't just people on these boards, it's other parents I've met in my time here. As I said, I do know exactly what you mean and not only that I've had it a lot worse. If you really want to find coping strategies to deal with the problem then look to those people who have found them, that's all I'm saying.
Use what talents you possess: The woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best.

http://talesfromthebeautifulisle.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Petrichor
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

86 Recommends(s)
90 Recognized(s)

Postby BigJohn » 07 May 2012, 16:38

Petrichor wrote:
Formosa Fitness wrote:

This isn't about being superior or not. What I said is true, and it isn't just people on these boards, it's other parents I've met in my time here. As I said, I do know exactly what you mean and not only that I've had it a lot worse. If you really want to find coping strategies to deal with the problem then look to those people who have found them, that's all I'm saying.

Complaining to your peers IS a coping strategy!
Forumosan avatar
BigJohn

1 Recommends(s)
118 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Living in Taiwan