Hsuehshan tunnel fire

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Hsuehshan tunnel fire

Postby Icon » 07 May 2012, 16:38

Double decker bus caught fire, 3 dead, 21 hurt. Correction: 22 hurt, 2 dead.

edit:
early English version: http://focustaiwan.tw/ShowNews/WebNews_ ... 1205070014
Scary.

Chinese version: http://tw.news.yahoo.com/雪隧車禍-2客運相撞起火-083010464.html

Apparently, a small car had a blowout and got rear-ended by the bus, which exploded. Ugh.

EDIT: correction on who hit who
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
769 Recommends(s)
593 Recognized(s)

Re: Hsuehshan tunnel fire

Postby Super Hans » 07 May 2012, 18:20

Nasty stuff, and I'm surprised that a more serious event hasn't happened already. However, considering how highway 9 took it's toll on drivers over the years, this tunnel has technically saved many lives already.
The bones got the wrong detail I hoped it would have for you
Safe for a shin bone or even a hand
It's such a lonely ride...
Forumosan avatar
Super Hans
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

42 Recommends(s)
149 Recognized(s)

Postby Taiwan Luthiers » 07 May 2012, 18:32

Super Hans wrote:Nasty stuff, and I'm surprised that a more serious event hasn't happened already. However, considering how highway 9 took it's toll on drivers over the years, this tunnel has technically saved many lives already.

Well it looks like the driver in the rear was too close to the bus in front of him. For some reason bus drivers here loves tailgating.

Isn't the tunnel rather strict regarding speed?
Cat-gut strings are made from kitten guts, stretched out to near breaking point and then hardened with grue saliva. As a result these give a feeling of Pain and anguish whenever played, and often end up playing themselves backwards as part of satanic rituals.

Typhoon Guitars
http://www.typhoonguitars.com
Taiwan Luthiers
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

1 Recommends(s)
91 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 07 May 2012, 20:32

Yes, very much. But accidents still may happen. What is important to see is what measures were taken and how was the rescue implemented... which I am trying to discern from all the noise the "news" are making...

Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
769 Recommends(s)
593 Recognized(s)

Postby Super Hans » 07 May 2012, 20:46

There are chevrons on the road surface which denote the minimum distance you should be to the car in front. The speed limit is 90 but you can drive to 100 without getting a ticket - strangely enough, the electronic LED signs encourage this (Speed limit 90! No exceeding 100). Also, strangely, is that the limit on the freeway before entering the tunnel and after un-entering it is only 80, and this seems to be very strictly enforced.
The bones got the wrong detail I hoped it would have for you
Safe for a shin bone or even a hand
It's such a lonely ride...
Forumosan avatar
Super Hans

42 Recommends(s)
149 Recognized(s)

Postby Gilgamesh » 07 May 2012, 21:01

Actually, on the Yilan side of the tunnel, the speed limit is 90 but on the other side it does drop down to 80. I have to admit that I don't recall seeing the chevrons. I'll have to check that out next time we go through the tunnel.
Gilgamesh
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

3 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 07 May 2012, 23:17

IM claustrophobic and i didnt enjoy going thru the tunnel. The thing I fear is getting stuck in there. Fires are especially dangerous. ITs amazing not more people died. THe smoke can kill hundreds if not thousands, the vent system must be pretty good.

IS this the first tunnel fire? Tunnel fire is one thing that I hope they built in protection for. Because it does happen. Cars catch fire in collisions and all that.

sounds like they need to reduce speed again . The cars should be able to stop in time without going over to the next lane. This accident wouldve been avoided if the vehicles need not have changed lanes. Lower speed wouldve allowed them to stop in their lane.

Looks like speed needs to be reduced back down to 70kph which it was before. Now raised to 90kph (at least when I was in it).
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

619 Recommends(s)
389 Recognized(s)

Postby Taiwan Luthiers » 08 May 2012, 00:25

tommy525 wrote:IM claustrophobic and i didnt enjoy going thru the tunnel. The thing I fear is getting stuck in there. Fires are especially dangerous. ITs amazing not more people died. THe smoke can kill hundreds if not thousands, the vent system must be pretty good.

IS this the first tunnel fire? Tunnel fire is one thing that I hope they built in protection for. Because it does happen. Cars catch fire in collisions and all that.

sounds like they need to reduce speed again . The cars should be able to stop in time without going over to the next lane. This accident wouldve been avoided if the vehicles need not have changed lanes. Lower speed wouldve allowed them to stop in their lane.

Looks like speed needs to be reduced back down to 70kph which it was before. Now raised to 90kph (at least when I was in it).

They need to deal with people tailgating. People getting rearended only happens because someone is tailgating. If the distance rule is correctly followed then the driver should have enough time to brake if the driver in front of him is having problems.

When I was in drivers ed the instructor told us to follow a 2 second following distance, that means if a sign passed a car in front of you it needs to take a minimum of 2 seconds in order to reach you. That's IF the conditions are good (dry road, good tire and brake). If the conditions are worse then the following distance has to be doubled. The problem is no one in Taiwan, particularly bus drivers follows that rule. Tailgating is the norm here which is why accidents like this happened.
Cat-gut strings are made from kitten guts, stretched out to near breaking point and then hardened with grue saliva. As a result these give a feeling of Pain and anguish whenever played, and often end up playing themselves backwards as part of satanic rituals.

Typhoon Guitars
http://www.typhoonguitars.com
Taiwan Luthiers

1 Recommends(s)
91 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 08 May 2012, 15:45

One of the guys on the bus was with his GF, they had been engaged two years. She lost conciousness in the collision, but he managed to get her out of the bus, she woke up after they got out of the bus, and he got her to the safety island. His promise to her: as soon as this is over, we get a civil marriage!

http://tw.news.yahoo.com/濃煙中狂奔-過了這關-我們就結婚-190900932.html;_ylt=At5_Ct33SE7FpRNWBmHjEUmVBdF_;_ylu=X3oDMTNtcDc2NnBjBG1pdANKdW1ib3Ryb24gRlAEcGtnAzU4YTFhMzYxLTkyOGMtMzY2NC05ZjA0LTE1ZDdhYTk2Yzc1YQRwb3MDMQRzZWMDanVtYm90cm9uBHZlcgM1NGI1MDY2OC05OGMzLTExZTEtYmZmZi04NjQ4MzdlMTllOGY-;_ylg=X3oDMTFucXJnOGdpBGludGwDdHcEbGFuZwN6aC1oYW50LXR3BHBzdGFpZAMEcHN0Y2F0A2hvbWUEcHQDc2VjdGlvbnM-;_ylv=3

Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
769 Recommends(s)
593 Recognized(s)

Postby Belgian Pie » 08 May 2012, 20:12

I wonder how it's possible that a bus, driving on diesel can go up in flames like that ... you can hold a flame to diesel and even than it won't burn. :ponder:
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

2 Recommends(s)
86 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Living in Taiwan