Hsuehshan tunnel fire

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Re: Hsuehshan tunnel fire

Postby Taiwan Luthiers » 08 May 2012, 21:19

Belgian Pie wrote:I wonder how it's possible that a bus, driving on diesel can go up in flames like that ... you can hold a flame to diesel and even than it won't burn. :ponder:

Perhaps it got hot enough where the fuel just vaporized enough that it can catch on fire. Vegetable oil won't burn if you hold a fire to it but if you left it on a stove on high too long it will spontaneously catch on fire.

I mean if they won't burn then it wouldn't make a very good fuel...
Cat-gut strings are made from kitten guts, stretched out to near breaking point and then hardened with grue saliva. As a result these give a feeling of Pain and anguish whenever played, and often end up playing themselves backwards as part of satanic rituals.

Typhoon Guitars
http://www.typhoonguitars.com
Taiwan Luthiers
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

1 Recommends(s)
91 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 08 May 2012, 23:26

Didnt the bus rear-end a car? I think the car caught fire and the fire spread to the bus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD29yQnM ... re=related

pretty scary
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

618 Recommends(s)
382 Recognized(s)

Postby Battery9 » 09 May 2012, 00:19

I was going through the tunnel by Muzha once, when a scooter crashed and caught fire, the whole tunnel was filled with smoke. We got out using the little tunnel that leads to the other 'leg' of the tunnel. It was scary because everyone was panicking and it was impossible to breathe. For the past month they have been closing one leg of the tunnel and only one side gets used...I HATE going through there..only one lane.
Battery9

27 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 09 May 2012, 10:45

tommy525 wrote:Didnt the bus rear-end a car? I think the car caught fire and the fire spread to the bus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD29yQnM ... re=related

pretty scary

That is not clear to me yet. I've seen accounts that say that the two people who died were in a smaller car that got sandwiched between the buses. Then, there are reports that the bus driver did not die.

What is clear is that the blue truck had a blowout, the driver slammed on teh brakes, the bus behind him swerved to avoid collision with other smaller vehicles, but the bus behind it slammed into it/into the smaller car between them. Big exlosion, people running to the shelter, trapped for like 3 hours...
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
759 Recommends(s)
592 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 09 May 2012, 10:54

Taiwan Luthiers wrote:
Belgian Pie wrote:I wonder how it's possible that a bus, driving on diesel can go up in flames like that ... you can hold a flame to diesel and even than it won't burn. :ponder:

Perhaps it got hot enough where the fuel just vaporized enough that it can catch on fire. Vegetable oil won't burn if you hold a fire to it but if you left it on a stove on high too long it will spontaneously catch on fire.

I mean if they won't burn then it wouldn't make a very good fuel...

Last night the news were saying -and take this with a pound of salt- that the temperatures inside teh tunnel got up to 1000 degrees, as the ceiling is designed to withstand 800-900, and it melted. The carnage of the buses looks pretty scary.

Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
759 Recommends(s)
592 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 09 May 2012, 11:33

Battery9 wrote:I was going through the tunnel by Muzha once, when a scooter crashed and caught fire, the whole tunnel was filled with smoke. We got out using the little tunnel that leads to the other 'leg' of the tunnel. It was scary because everyone was panicking and it was impossible to breathe. For the past month they have been closing one leg of the tunnel and only one side gets used...I HATE going through there..only one lane.

Interestingly, the double decker buses that go into the tunnel have a compartment with special fireproof head masks that allow people to breathe like 40 minutes in smoky conditions, plus oxygen tanks and even hand powered torches. Howwever, in the rush to get out, the passengers and driver forgot and they were unable to escape any further because they couldn't see their way.

Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
759 Recommends(s)
592 Recognized(s)

Postby Super Hans » 09 May 2012, 11:55

I still don't get how this happened.

All vehicles were travelling at the same speed. The car between the two buses had a blowout, and whether or not the the driver lost control, the car would have slowed down. It is understandable that the bus behind hit the car that had the blowout, but how did the bus behind then ram the car into the bus in front. If the car slowed down, which it would have done, and the bus in front continued at the same speed, how did the bus behind end up catching up with the bus in front thereby sandwiching the car in the middle?

It makes absolutely no sense.
The bones got the wrong detail I hoped it would have for you
Safe for a shin bone or even a hand
It's such a lonely ride...
Forumosan avatar
Super Hans
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

42 Recommends(s)
149 Recognized(s)

Postby Taiwan Luthiers » 09 May 2012, 12:11

Like I said probably they were tailgating.
Cat-gut strings are made from kitten guts, stretched out to near breaking point and then hardened with grue saliva. As a result these give a feeling of Pain and anguish whenever played, and often end up playing themselves backwards as part of satanic rituals.

Typhoon Guitars
http://www.typhoonguitars.com
Taiwan Luthiers

1 Recommends(s)
91 Recognized(s)

Postby Super Hans » 09 May 2012, 16:23

Yep, but that still comes nowhere near to explaining the accident. The bus would have had to have sped up in order to push the slowing car into the bus in front - and it would have had to have sped up a lot and very rapidly.
The bones got the wrong detail I hoped it would have for you
Safe for a shin bone or even a hand
It's such a lonely ride...
Forumosan avatar
Super Hans

42 Recommends(s)
149 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 09 May 2012, 16:34

I guess it is just the overall weight of the bus, I mean, it's like a six-wheeler. Those things can't just stop when they hit the brakes. But still, it seems so violent, surely they were too close and going too fast.

Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
759 Recommends(s)
592 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Living in Taiwan