Kaohsiung vs. Hsinchu vs Taichung

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Postby chris1234 » 08 May 2012, 03:29

I wanted to work in Taipei this coming year, but it looks like that isn't going to work out. I have some other options in the other cities.

What do you think about Kaohsiung vs. Hsinchu vs Taichung for quality of life (e.g. nightlife, entertainment, and eating out). I am single and like to be active.

I heard a lot of people root for Kaohsiung because of the weather, so any other factors you can list besides weather would be appreciated. Also, I heard there was some kind of bar or music venue closing issue in Taichung, but I wasn't sure if that was a current or old issue..

It might be helpful to factor in that the Kaohsiung position pays less than the other options and is with English Village, so there are trade offs involved.

Thanks!
chris1234
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 08 May 2012, 07:35

Do a search.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1304 Recommends(s)
504 Recognized(s)

Re: Kaohsiung vs. Hsinchu vs Taichung

Postby the bear » 08 May 2012, 09:20

Hsinchu has no nightlife, except for the crickets. But you can get to Taipei easy enough.
I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.
Forumosan avatar
the bear
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

25 Recommends(s)
86 Recognized(s)

Postby Feiren » 08 May 2012, 10:12

Either Taichung or Kaohsiung will be much better than Hsinchu.
Feiren
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)

4 Recommends(s)
185 Recognized(s)

Postby BigJohn » 08 May 2012, 10:54

Taichung has had its nightlife decimated.

Kaohsiung is close to Kending and Tainan.

I'd say Kaohsiung would be more fun, overall.
Forumosan avatar
BigJohn
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

97 Recognized(s)

Postby touduke » 08 May 2012, 11:34

If you like sunshine - Taichung has the best weather, hands down - at night it's dark everywhere.
Forumosan avatar
touduke
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

67 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 08 May 2012, 12:28

The year 1986 that i spent in Taichung was pure magic. I heard its all gone south now tho. So aim for the Ktown ! Just like taipei almost but sunnier .

Hsinchu? You will hate yourself more then before you arrived in Taiwan.
the driveller - tommy525
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

477 Recommends(s)
316 Recognized(s)

Postby Meadows » 09 May 2012, 00:33

Kaohsiung is amazing. The nightlife is the best in TW (except Taipei obviously) and the weather is better. The beaches are great too! Kaohsiung also has a pretty decent MRT/Bus system - not as good as Taipei obviously but serviceable.

I've never been to Hsinchu other than to see the historic temple market-y thing. It seemed alright I guess, I dunno, a bit more gloomy than Kaohsiung. It's hard to say but IMO Kaohsiung/Taichung are better.

Taichung is pretty cool, the museum is good and...I dunno really it's like Birmingham in the UK, it's in the middle, and there are a lot of people, but nothing really seems to happen. There's obviously a bit of a problem with the nightlife there too, I'd steer clear. (Oh, and from what I remember, the public transport was crap).

I'd say Kaohsiung, the people are the friendliest I've met in Taiwan and it's got a slightly more Polynesian feel to it than the rest of Taiwan, which makes a change. But it's up to you really. For me, the only places I'd live in Taiwan are Taipei or Kaohsiung, but it's subjective.
Meadows
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

2 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 09 May 2012, 06:06

Kaoshiung (Gaoxiong) has a Polynesian feel to it.

Classic.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1304 Recommends(s)
504 Recognized(s)

Postby Meadows » 09 May 2012, 07:04

Yeah, a slightly more 'Pacific Island' feel than the more hustle bustle North. And as I said, that's just my opinion, so you can keep the snark to yourself.
Meadows
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

2 Recognized(s)

Next

x

Return to Living in Taiwan