Kaohsiung vs. Hsinchu vs Taichung

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Kaohsiung vs. Hsinchu vs Taichung

Postby headhonchoII » 09 May 2012, 07:12

Oh I agree it has a more tropical vibe and pleasant spots in between the industry and the smog and 6 million people. Polynesian wouldn't be the word I'd use personally.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1738 Recommends(s)
623 Recognized(s)

Re: Kaohsiung vs. Hsinchu vs Taichung

Postby Meadows » 09 May 2012, 11:02

headhonchoII wrote:Oh I agree it has a more tropical vibe and pleasant spots in between the industry and the smog and 6 million people. Polynesian wouldn't be the word I'd use personally.

slight·ly/ˈslītlē/
Adverb:
To a small degree; inconsiderably.
Meadows
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

2 Recognized(s)

Postby Deuce Dropper » 09 May 2012, 12:17

it all depends how you like your turds, fried, grilled or baked. this island takes a nosedive with respect to quality of life for foreigners the minute you leave central Taipei. If you are going to live outside Taipei, go full nature, don't live in a city that is in every way crappier than Taipei, with none of the benefits of being at nature's doorstep.

Its either Taipei or the XiangXia Hinterland. The rest of Taiwan is just dust, signboards and warehouses.

*braces himself for the flaming*
Forumosan avatar
Deuce Dropper
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

93 Recommends(s)
466 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 09 May 2012, 12:21

Grew up in TAipei but travelled a lot to Ktown over the last decade I was there. IF i ever live again on taiwan, id like to live in Ktown. And thats saying A LOT. IN the past I was TAipei or bust, but now im thinking Ktown is just right.
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

608 Recommends(s)
379 Recognized(s)

Postby Deuce Dropper » 09 May 2012, 18:31

tommy525 wrote:Grew up in TAipei but travelled a lot to Ktown over the last decade I was there. IF i ever live again on taiwan, id like to live in Ktown. And thats saying A LOT. IN the past I was TAipei or bust, but now im thinking Ktown is just right.

You're right, it does say a lot.
Forumosan avatar
Deuce Dropper

93 Recommends(s)
466 Recognized(s)

Postby touduke » 09 May 2012, 21:37

Deuce Dropper wrote:it all depends how you like your turds, fried, grilled or baked. this island takes a nosedive with respect to quality of life for foreigners the minute you leave central Taipei. If you are going to live outside Taipei, go full nature, don't live in a city that is in every way crappier than Taipei, with none of the benefits of being at nature's doorstep.

Its either Taipei or the XiangXia Hinterland. The rest of Taiwan is just dust, signboards and warehouses.

*braces himself for the flaming*

After 7 years in Taipei and about 7 now in Taichung I know both places well.
Taichung is better for things important to me.
Nature's doorstep is close here, even within city limits, Nantou and high mountains a stone throw away, weather is soooo much better, life, rent, immovables all much cheaper. (according to my calculations I spent 150.000 less a year)
I have nightlife at home or with friends at their homes. Jobwise it's the same for me (universities) - heard the air is bad - never ever felt it myself. And did I mention that in Taipei in one month it rains as much as in Taichung in a year.
Lots of culture, exhibitions, concerts (even stuff like Lady Gaga), good museums, good places for kids, good concert hall (walking distance for me) and it's much closer to Kending than Taipei.
I thank my wife that she hates Taipei.
Forumosan avatar
touduke
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

67 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 10 May 2012, 00:59

Deuce Dropper wrote:
tommy525 wrote:Grew up in TAipei but travelled a lot to Ktown over the last decade I was there. IF i ever live again on taiwan, id like to live in Ktown. And thats saying A LOT. IN the past I was TAipei or bust, but now im thinking Ktown is just right.

You're right, it does say a lot.

:raspberry:
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

608 Recommends(s)
379 Recognized(s)

Postby Confuzius » 10 May 2012, 01:07

I live in Taichung, a close friend of mine lives in Hsinchu (and we visited Kaohsiung together, lol).

Whenever he visits me, or we go anywhere, lets say, a coffee shop, or a restaurant, ANYTHING he always says "Boy, I wish we had places like this in Hsinchu" and we're not talking about super awesome nightclubs...just plain ole coffee shops and restaurants. This gives me the impression that Hsinchu is a blackhole of evil depression with nothing to do...night or day.

Taichung ain't too exciting I gotto admit, but its cheap, the weather is great, its super easy to get to the countryside ifya want. Its kinda like a big small town vs a small city. I like it, but there are some very particular things here for me that would not apply to anyone else.

So I would say Hsinchu should not be an option. Ifya wanna party, Kaohsiung may be better than Taichung.
"Knowledge alone is transitory, the outcrop subsequent to 'I desire all things'". - A. O. Spare
Confuzius
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

113 Recommends(s)
76 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 10 May 2012, 01:56

Let me say it again. Hsinchu will make you hate yourself more.

(except for the beef noodles, they got em, yummy, and the girls are prettttty cute too)
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

608 Recommends(s)
379 Recognized(s)

Postby grandfeller » 10 May 2012, 06:35

tommy525 wrote:Let me say it again. Hsinchu will make you hate yourself more.

(except for the beef noodles, they got em, yummy, and the girls are prettttty cute too)

Haha! I liked Hsinchu when I lived in Zhubei and Xinfeng (Hsinchu County) 13 years ago. But the main reasons I can think of were the beef noodles and the friends I had (still have) there. They had the prettiest binlang girls, too. But I never had to spend a winter there.

Kaohsiung certainly is nice for it's access to great mountains and coast.
grandfeller
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

12 Recommends(s)
4 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Living in Taiwan