Taiwan: land of the slap on the wrist

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Postby LT » 10 May 2012, 00:44

I am on assignment in America and sometimes I am back in Taiwan to see my family. Well my relatives and friends always watch the TV news like a lot of people in Taipei. Like TVBS. Which I just get tired of. But what is worse is now that I have been abroad so musch I am going crazy when I watch local news.

The worst is how the authorities don't seem to punish people for drunk drivings. Men, women and especially children are hit by cars and scooters and are hurt severely. A lot of hit and runs, much more so than when I am in the USA. Bus drivers also drive like crazy people too. The fines and punishments are so light.The rich get away with more. The man in the Benz probably just paid someone off. I don't know when Taiwan is going to get serious and it makes me angry because I drive and have to get used the the driving style all over again. A few stories make me almost cry. And they love to show the actual footage of crashes and injuries 10-15 even 20 times.

I don't know what can be done. Just frustrating. I am sure a lot of you that post here may feel the same. Just ranting. I love Taiwan, but before the end of this month I will be back in California and it will be out of my system.
Forumosan avatar
LT
38 Posts? I'm a bimbo, baby!

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recognized(s)

Re: Taiwan: land of the slap on the wrist

Postby tomthorne » 10 May 2012, 00:51

LT wrote: A lot of hit and runs, much more so than when I am in the USA.

We're going to need a few stats to back that up.
tomthorne
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

217 Recommends(s)
179 Recognized(s)

Postby LT » 10 May 2012, 01:05

Well, maybe I just see it on TV more. But in L.A. they announce what kind of car they are looking for etc.
Forumosan avatar
LT
38 Posts? I'm a bimbo, baby!

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 10 May 2012, 02:01

I agree, this drunk driving causing deaths thing has to stop. Even if it takes executing a few perps !
Savage - what a nice performance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMCMjEb68ds
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

525 Recommends(s)
338 Recognized(s)

Postby Meadows » 10 May 2012, 10:24

tomthorne wrote:

Which Taiwan are you living in?!?!
Meadows
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

2 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 10 May 2012, 11:02

tomthorne wrote:

I can't be bothered looking for stats, but from a personal perspective, I see a few reported here a year. Looking at the Brit press, though, I seem to see them every other week.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby Impaler » 10 May 2012, 12:46

In the U.S., it took quite a lot of pressure by citizens to force the state legislatures and all the various police agencies to take drunk driving seriously. In the 1970s, driving drunk was mostly ignored, unless some innocent was killed, and even then the drunks only got short jail sentences.

If you want it to change in Taiwan, you will need to get grieving parents to harass your lawmakers into passing mandatory sentencing laws, removing any judicial discretion. Then you need to shame police into not taking bribes to let people go -- or set up incentives so that police get departmental funding or extra pay/vacation/whatever for catching drunks.
It's amazing what getting out of the care of the Scottish National Health Service can do for your life expectancy.

"Mostly, nature looks after itself, if you let it. If you arrange things correctly, nature will do all the hard work for you, but it takes a lot of careful thought, planning, attention to detail, and a little experimentation. In other words, we're all doomed." -- finley
Forumosan avatar
Impaler
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

2 Recommends(s)
37 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 10 May 2012, 12:57

Well the almost complete lack of enforcement on the highways would be a good place to start.

Taiwan is getting there, but slowly. Most people would not dare to drink drive now in Taipei, too many checkpoints. OutsideTaipei it's a different story.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1479 Recommends(s)
555 Recognized(s)

Postby creztor » 10 May 2012, 13:58

It's still the wild wild west outside of Taipei :)
Lost in Kaohsiung :D
creztor
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

89 Recommends(s)
18 Recognized(s)

Postby Nuit » 10 May 2012, 14:08

Drunk-driving is reasonably enforced at stage 1 in Hualian, using random late-night checkpoints. This normally gets you a fine (graded, according to just how drunk you are), plus a driving ban.

But then stage 2, the ban itself, is totally unenforced.
So the rule becomes, if you take a 1 year hit, just continue to drive as if nothing had happened :s.
It's raining again here. I'm rising up like a beautiful bubble to the surface.

A wicked wind whips up the hill, a handful of hopeful words.
I was what you would call seriously strung out.
Forumosan avatar
Nuit
Mando-pop Singer (Guóyǔ liúxíng gēshǒu)
Mando-pop Singer (Guóyǔ liúxíng gēshǒu)

73 Recommends(s)
89 Recognized(s)

Next

Return to Living in Taiwan