Taiwan: land of the slap on the wrist

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Re: Taiwan: land of the slap on the wrist

Postby Isha » 10 May 2012, 14:46

In Nangang, bus drivers routinely speedup to cross through the red light, so does scooters and others vehicles. The idea of slowing down on public crossing is remote to locals. Instead of slowing down, they speed up at the public crossing. Here, you got to watch out for yourself in every possible direction.
Isha
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

22 Recommends(s)
7 Recognized(s)

Postby touduke » 10 May 2012, 15:01

Instead of slowing down, they speed up at the public crossing.

they want to leave this potentially dangerous spot as fast as possible :D
Forumosan avatar
touduke
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

67 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby plasmatron » 10 May 2012, 15:07

Driving the 'ring road' freeways, 74/3/1 around Taichung city pretty much any evening of the week, but especially Fridays and Saturdays there are literally dozens of vehicles weaving and swerving down their lanes, either way too fast or way too slow, clearly under the influence. In over 10 years in Taichung I've also never seen a road block that you couldn't opt out of, the cops make sure there's a convenient right turn available before the checkpoint for anyone who doesn't want to be pulled over. The 'police' in Taichung are the biggest joke in Asia, with the 'judges' and 'city government' a close second and third.
"freedom is allowed, but not encouraged." Teng Tien-yu, secretary-general, Taiwan central election comittee
Forumosan avatar
plasmatron
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)

3 Recommends(s)
20 Recognized(s)

Postby Belgian Pie » 10 May 2012, 15:18

Like TVBS ... A few stories make me almost cry. And they love to show the actual footage of crashes and injuries 10-15 even 20 times.

When you broadcast news in Taiwan 24/7 you have to get your footage somewhere, and this they have so they show that around the clock repeating every 30 seconds ... it's running a news channel as cheap as possible.
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

2 Recommends(s)
91 Recognized(s)

Postby Steviebike » 10 May 2012, 17:02

Belgian Pie wrote:
Like TVBS ... A few stories make me almost cry. And they love to show the actual footage of crashes and injuries 10-15 even 20 times.

When you broadcast news in Taiwan 24/7 you have to get your footage somewhere, and this they have so they show that around the clock repeating every 30 seconds ... it's running a news channel as cheap as possible.

Quantity over quality counts here.

Here are some interesting articles;

First from Australia and Taiwanese drivers
http://ozsoapbox.com/taiwan/culture/mem ... re-morons/

Here is one from Taipei Times
http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ ... 2003466349

The abstract is good reading
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1 ... 66#preview

Same old story been going on for years. We all know the answer, when will it change? Will it change?
Just checking but you're a South African Engrish Teachur right? No. I'm a Russian nuclear physicist.
Forumosan avatar
Steviebike
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

70 Recommends(s)
80 Recognized(s)

Postby shengou » 10 May 2012, 17:29

Isha wrote:In Nangang, bus drivers routinely speedup to cross through the red light, so does scooters and others vehicles. The idea of slowing down on public crossing is remote to locals. Instead of slowing down, they speed up at the public crossing. Here, you got to watch out for yourself in every possible direction.

I absolutely hate this. There's not a single intersection I go through without slowing down, now. Every time I go through an intersection I'm always insanely paranoid because so many idiots think it's perfectly normal to blow through red lights.

They also gun it the second the light turns green for them. I used to turn left at intersections, after seeing so many locals doing it, but now I don't for two reasons. One, there's always someone who goes through the intersection right after their light turns red. This makes it impossible to go immediately after your light turns green and then you get stuck going straight. Two, even if someone doesn't go through and block your way, the people in the opposite lane are gunning it and they're looking straight ahead, so they won't wait two seconds to let you turn unless you jumped the green light and gunned it too.

So now I turn right and then do a u-turn and wait at another red light. Two red lights just to turn left. Fucking hell I hate Taiwanese driving.
shengou
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

2 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

Postby bigduke6 » 10 May 2012, 17:31

I was reading a drunk driving thread earlier about the dude who knocked someone over and can back and drove over him again to make sure he was dead.

The wife was telling me that, someone could be hit by another car, be dead as they fly through the air, land in oncoming traffic, I drive over them through no fault of my own, and I am now also responsible.

Alternatively, a 96 year old jumps a red light, I hit her, and I am now also responsible.

Back home, if someone jumped a red and I drove into them (killed them or not), I would not be held responsible any anyway at all. Who in their right mind would? :loco: :loco: :loco: :loco: :loco: :loco: :loco: :loco:

Many times I have nearly sent a geriatric to an early, if not well deserved grave, because they jumped a light, made an illegal turn etc etc.
Jesus Quintana: Let me tell you something, pendejo. You pull any of your crazy shit with us, you flash a piece out on the lanes, I'll take it away from you, stick it up your ass and pull the fucking trigger 'til it goes "click."
The Dude: Jesus.
Jesus Quintana: You said it, man. Nobody
fucks with the Jesus.

Mr.Lahey: The shitabyss!
Randy: Mr. Lahey, not another night of the shitabyss, please?!
Mr.Lahey: Ah, fuck it.

If you talk to god, you're religious. If god talks to you, you're psychotic.
Gregory House

I got me a dog and named her Mybitchniggaeater.
2Pac
Forumosan avatar
bigduke6
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

72 Recommends(s)
132 Recognized(s)

Postby tsukinodeynatsu » 10 May 2012, 19:41

My husband tells me that the rule is 'if you hit somebody on their side, that means that they were in the intersection first and it's therefore your fault'.

:loco:
tsukinodeynatsu

57 Recommends(s)
65 Recognized(s)

Postby Belgian Pie » 10 May 2012, 20:33

Dead people are cheaper than invalid living ones ...
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

2 Recommends(s)
91 Recognized(s)

Taiwan: land of the slap on the wrist

Postby headhonchoII » 10 May 2012, 21:01

Get a vehicle cam, cheap and effective record in case of accidents.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1833 Recommends(s)
657 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Living in Taiwan