Moldy matresses

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Moldy matresses

Postby KPSeventy » 12 May 2012, 08:58

Big problem; likely due to the recent humid weather, both the mattresses in my rented apartment have developed a strong musty/moldy smell. Sheets placed on them quickly take on the same odor, pillows get similarly 'infected'. Pretty bad. At this point they certainly aren't safe to sleep on, and I've removed both mattresses to a spare room.

I've tried airing them out with fans, getting them in the sun, but with no success. I obviously need to talk to my landlord about this, but I'm not sure what approach to take. My apartment isn't exactly high-end, and I highly doubt he'll be willing to buy new mattresses. I also suspect I will meet resistance requesting they be removed and disposed of, which is what needs to be done at this point. I've only got three months left on the agreement for this place, but would rather avoid the hassle of moving out early. Place was sold as furnished, so in a sense I feel entitled to a clean mattress.

Any suggestions on how I should approach the landlord?
KPSeventy
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Re: Moldy matresses

Postby touduke » 12 May 2012, 09:43

my 2 cents
step1: throw them away (if you don't know how - ask the doorman about it)
step2: buy a new mattress you like (spend about 2-3000) enjoy!
step3: leave the mattress in the place when you leave
Forumosan avatar
touduke
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

67 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 12 May 2012, 11:23

Ask your landlord. He may surprise you.

If he won't buy a new one I suggest just putting it outside and sleeping on mats for the next few months. Not as comfortable but better for your health.

Disposing of the mattress is easy. Just call the EPA and they will come pick it up.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

636 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 12 May 2012, 12:55

moldy mattress? YUK< Chuck and solve the mold problem . Use a dehumidifier or keep windows open or something to control the mold.

Mold is a constant problem in always wet north Taiwan.
the driveller - tommy525
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

477 Recommends(s)
315 Recognized(s)

x

Return to Living in Taiwan