Microaggressions, whitey's new source for manufactured outrage.

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Re: Microaggressions, whitey's new source for manufactured outrage.

Postby E04teacherlin » 12 May 2012, 23:51

pb wrote:
Deuce Dropper wrote:This new habit of tagging everything bad that happens in our life in Taiwan as a 'microaggression' is becoming ridiculous. I realize that guy in Japan wrote a compelling article that many of us can relate to, but I just can't buy into every stupid thing that happens here that I may not particularly like to be some nefarious plan to annoy or intimidate me by the collective masses.

FWIW the term "microaggresion" was proposed in article "Racial Microaggressions in Everyday Life" authored by Asian American
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/mic ... ryday-life

The gist of it is that there is no "nefarious plan". The "aggression" is subconscious.

BTW another view on it (another expat living in Japan)
http://kotaku.com/5907242/you-can-use-c ... ome-people

What I find ironic is that it somehow is valid for Asian Americans living in US but not for "whiteys" in Taiwan.

You should read the article and the research. Calling this scientific is like calling "The Outliers" and its pop psych a real contribution to understanding success.
E04teacherlin
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

85 Recommends(s)
50 Recognized(s)

Postby Deuce Dropper » 13 May 2012, 14:02

pb wrote:
Deuce Dropper wrote:This new habit of tagging everything bad that happens in our life in Taiwan as a 'microaggression' is becoming ridiculous. I realize that guy in Japan wrote a compelling article that many of us can relate to, but I just can't buy into every stupid thing that happens here that I may not particularly like to be some nefarious plan to annoy or intimidate me by the collective masses.

FWIW the term "microaggresion" was proposed in article "Racial Microaggressions in Everyday Life" authored by Asian American

The gist of it is that there is no "nefarious plan". The "aggression" is subconscious.

What I find ironic is that it somehow is valid for Asian Americans living in US but not for "whiteys" in Taiwan.

No, I don't give a fuck if it is a Martian complaining about the treatment he received on Pluto, it is whinging's finest hour, and it is most certainly not applicable in the way foreigners are dealt with by Taiwanese.
Interpersonal relations with strangers are often hostile, life is often hostile, and the only thing that keeps this hostility muted are the social graces we are taught (and these differ from culture to culture). We are in a hurry, we are in competition, we are looking out for number one, and many of the people we deal with are in the same boat. There will be friction, it is human nature, but what chaps my ass is the fact that we have gotten to a level where we take very benign behaviors and reactions by a very polite (although sometimes overtly direct) society, twist them and repackage them in a manner where we can feel offended. That is self-serving BS.

If someone calls you fat, be offended, if someone says you are ugly, be offended, if someone says you are good with chopsticks or speak good Chinese, smile and go on with your day.
Forumosan avatar
Deuce Dropper
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
93 Recommends(s)
466 Recognized(s)

Postby Dragonbones » 13 May 2012, 19:05

Deuce Dropper wrote:If someone calls you fat, be offended, if someone says you are ugly, be offended, if someone says you are good with chopsticks or speak good Chinese, smile and go on with your day.

:thumbsup: Seems like a no-brainer to me.
NEW! Better for you! This post is now carb-conscious, low-fat, and gluten-free!
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

39 Recommends(s)
112 Recognized(s)

Postby jimipresley » 13 May 2012, 19:12

Dragonbones wrote:
Deuce Dropper wrote:If someone calls you fat, be offended, if someone says you are ugly, be offended, if someone says you are good with chopsticks or speak good Chinese, smile and go on with your day.

:thumbsup: Seems like a no-brainer to me.

+1. :thumbsup:
You can live here and have a great life and not be the least bit into living the local life. Clowns will try to diss you for it saying you gotta get down with the program, but fuck em, treat this place like a buffet and yous be on a diet. Take what you want and nothing extra, slam those oysters, but leave the bread sticks and dinner rolls behind. - Deuce Dropper

I'm much more of a nasty rotter in real life, especially with vapid or vacuous verbiage from the ill read & intellectually challenged. - TheGingerMan

Don't be a cheap cunt. - Deuce Dropper
Forumosan avatar
jimipresley
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1024 Recommends(s)
387 Recognized(s)

Postby Tempo Gain » 13 May 2012, 19:14

I've come to the conclusion that "microaggression" bothers some people, and doesn't bother other people.
Forumosan avatar
Tempo Gain
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

320 Recommends(s)
314 Recognized(s)

Postby jimipresley » 13 May 2012, 19:19

Tempo Gain wrote:I've come to the conclusion that "microaggression" bothers some people, and doesn't bother other people.

That's such an aggressive thing to say! Shame on you! :no-no:

Now you've made me angry with your chabudouness! I've lost face! I challenge you to a duel at dawn with tea eggs!
You can live here and have a great life and not be the least bit into living the local life. Clowns will try to diss you for it saying you gotta get down with the program, but fuck em, treat this place like a buffet and yous be on a diet. Take what you want and nothing extra, slam those oysters, but leave the bread sticks and dinner rolls behind. - Deuce Dropper

I'm much more of a nasty rotter in real life, especially with vapid or vacuous verbiage from the ill read & intellectually challenged. - TheGingerMan

Don't be a cheap cunt. - Deuce Dropper
Forumosan avatar
jimipresley
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1024 Recommends(s)
387 Recognized(s)

Postby Tempo Gain » 13 May 2012, 19:26

I choose chopsticks. I can use them!
Forumosan avatar
Tempo Gain
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

320 Recommends(s)
314 Recognized(s)

Postby superking » 13 May 2012, 19:29

Tempo Gain wrote:I've come to the conclusion that "microaggression" bothers some people, and doesn't bother other people.

There is also the consideration that it may or may not actually exist (as a subset of aggression, if at all).

Until enough people get upset enough about this construct then it's just a microconstruct. :D
There are millions of people in the world. And none of those people is an extra. They're all leads in their own stories.

If you lose one sense, your other senses are enhanced. That's why people with no sense of humour have an increased sense of self-importance.
superking
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

93 Recommends(s)
340 Recognized(s)

Postby TheGingerMan » 13 May 2012, 19:47

Deuce Dropper wrote:
pb wrote:

No, I don't give a fuck if it is a Martian complaining about the treatment he received on Pluto, it is whinging's finest hour, and it is most certainly not applicable in the way foreigners are dealt with by Taiwanese.
Interpersonal relations with strangers are often hostile, life is often hostile, and the only thing that keeps this hostility muted are the social graces we are taught (and these differ from culture to culture). We are in a hurry, we are in competition, we are looking out for number one, and many of the people we deal with are in the same boat. There will be friction, it is human nature, but what chaps my ass is the fact that we have gotten to a level where we take very benign behaviors and reactions by a very polite (although sometimes overtly direct) society, twist them and repackage them in a manner where we can feel offended. That is self-serving BS.

If someone calls you fat, be offended, if someone says you are ugly, be offended, if someone says you are good with chopsticks or speak good Chinese, smile and go on with your day.

Yes, indeed!
"Turne ye to the strong hold, ye prisoners of hope,
even to day do I declare that I will render double unto thee:"

~~~ZECHARIAH 9:12

"Or fill high hawkfell of my hand,
with skalds reward for skilled word?"

~~~Egill Skallagrimssøn, c.974

"Opinion is underrated since it is too difficult for most and not understood by the rest."
~~~elektronisk
Forumosan avatar
TheGingerMan
Bureaucrat of the Underworld (cóng dìyù lái de guānliáo)
Bureaucrat of the Underworld (cóng dìyù lái de guānliáo)

4 Recommends(s)
240 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 0- 0-2114
Gruntleness: Fully Disgruntled

Postby Tiger Mountaineer » 13 May 2012, 20:01

pb wrote:What I find ironic is that it somehow is valid for Asian Americans living in US but not for "whiteys" in Taiwan.

Maybe because this 'microaggression' theory was developed in the context of multicultural U.S. society, with all its baggage of racial oppression, segregation, etc. Applying it to the largely 'monoracial' societies of Taiwan or Japan is misguided. Taiwan is something like 98% Han Chinese folks, so yes, whitey does stick out like a sore thumb, and there is no way you can realistically expect to integrate here like an immigrant or racial minority in North America. Your foreignness will always be the #1 thing people notice about you, and you will get approached by curious and (thankfully) friendly people because, guess what, they don't see your kind around these parts too often pardner. :cactus:
Forumosan avatar
Tiger Mountaineer
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

11 Recommends(s)
13 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Living in Taiwan