"Apologizing" with one's face covered

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

"Apologizing" with one's face covered

Postby pritmimic » 13 May 2012, 08:09

"Apologizing" with one's face covered---does anyone else see a problem here?

http://taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2012/05/13/2003532711

The photo accompanying the above story shows two high-school students named Tseng and Chen kneeling beside Chen’s mother to make a public apology. Tseng and Chen, together with an accomplice, poured urine and feces on the faces of sleeping homeless people in Taipei, filmed the episodes, and posted videos to Youtube.

Does appearing in public (ostensibly) to subject oneself to the humiliation of making a public apology have ANY VALUE WHATSOEVER if one's face is masked so as to hide one's identity (thereby intentionally avoiding the majority of the potential sanctions that might result from admitting wrongdoing)?

I would argue that it does not.

Is such absurd posturing symptomatic of an insidious rot that has set in at the core of our society? I would say that it is.

A true apology entails willingness to accept the consequences of one's wrongful actions. Wearing a mask negates this, an bespeaks, instead, an unwillingness to do so.

Disgusting. Pathetic.
pritmimic
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

ORIGINAL POSTER
5 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Re: "Apologizing" with one's face covered

Postby jimipresley » 13 May 2012, 08:19

Whoever wrote that "article" has feces and urine on their keyboard. Yet another reason to bemoan the ineffective buxiban system.

And wtf is a "netizen"?

Morons. :roll:
You can live here and have a great life and not be the least bit into living the local life. Clowns will try to diss you for it saying you gotta get down with the program, but fuck em, treat this place like a buffet and yous be on a diet. Take what you want and nothing extra, slam those oysters, but leave the bread sticks and dinner rolls behind. - Deuce Dropper

I'm much more of a nasty rotter in real life, especially with vapid or vacuous verbiage from the ill read & intellectually challenged. - TheGingerMan

Don't be a cheap cunt. - Deuce Dropper
Forumosan avatar
jimipresley
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

977 Recommends(s)
366 Recognized(s)

Postby Hamletintaiwan » 13 May 2012, 08:27

Those are minors after all and should not be forced to do anything publicly.
Showing their faces could jeopardise their future.
I don't know why Taiwanese are so into public humiliation as a resolve. It doesn't accomplish anything.
It also contradicts all the rules put on us teachers in our daily life.

No corporal punishment of any kind.
Can't kick a student out off class.
Can't have them stand up.
Too many students.
Teachers have so many students that they even don't know their names etc.

But picking now three students and publicly humiliating them is going to solve it all or what?
Forumosan avatar
Hamletintaiwan
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)

6 Recommends(s)
51 Recognized(s)

Postby Feiren » 13 May 2012, 09:44

They are not minors. They are 20 and 22 years old. Their mother also wore a face mask. They probably don't want to be recognized for the same reasons most people wouldn't want to, but also because the one whose mother accompanied him is the son of an OTC-listed company's owner. They will be concerned about kidnapping.

Still, it's interesting that the public has questioned (as usual) the sincerity of their apology but no one has mentioned the face masks. I guess they are just such a part of 'public' life here that no one really thinks about it. The main problem with their apology seems to be that it was not made to the victims directly and also that they are not doing anything to make up for their sins. The 'old testament' crowd in Taiwan wants them to suffer what they inflicted on the street people.

To her credit, the mother is offering to compensate the victims. But it looks to a lot of Taiwanese people that the irresponsible rich are behaving outrageously and then just buying their way out of their problems. See Makiyo.

Hamletintaiwan wrote:Those are minors after all and should not be forced to do anything publicly.
I don't know why Taiwanese are so into public humiliation as a resolve. It doesn't accomplish anything.

Too many students.

But picking now three students and publicly humiliating them is going to solve it all or what?
Feiren
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)

4 Recommends(s)
198 Recognized(s)

Postby Hamletintaiwan » 13 May 2012, 10:03

Feiren wrote:They are not minors. They are 20 and 22 years old. Their mother also wore a face mask.

Sorry but the article doesn't say that or am I missing something?
They look like high-school kids to me.

Anyhow, if they are 22 and 23 as you say, then, what is the mother doing there?
She didn't do anything or did she?

Oh yes! She raised and breastfed those brats.
Forumosan avatar
Hamletintaiwan

6 Recommends(s)
51 Recognized(s)

Postby Feiren » 13 May 2012, 12:12

Check today's Apple Daily for the ages.

Taiwanese parents always consider their children to be children even when they are 20 years (or more) over the age of majority. If they have the means, they will baby their children for life unless the kids revolt.

I very much doubt that the wife of an OTC-listed company breastfed her children 20 years ago.

She has taken public responsibility for having failed to raise them right, made them apologize by kowtowing (literally) to the public (not sure what the point of that was, shame culture?), and offering to pay compensation. The last offer is revealing though. Mommy will buy off the victims. Granted they are high school students (at an advanced age) and don't have any money, but still....

Hamletintaiwan wrote:
Feiren wrote:They are not minors. They are 20 and 22 years old. Their mother also wore a face mask.

Sorry but the article doesn't say that or am I missing something?
They look like high-school kids to me.

Anyhow, if they are 22 and 23 as you say, then, what is the mother doing there?
She didn't do anything or did she?

Oh yes! She raised and breastfed those brats.
Feiren

4 Recommends(s)
198 Recognized(s)

Postby Ryan the third » 13 May 2012, 12:47

Hamletintaiwan wrote:Those are minors after all and should not be forced to do anything publicly.

Too many students.

I'd say fill a big bucket with urine and feces and pour it over them and post it on youtube. I do not like the idea of people like that having a future.
Forumosan avatar
Ryan the third
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

2 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Postby Battery9 » 13 May 2012, 13:47

wow. NT1500..that's it? You get in worse trouble for flippin the bird here!
Battery9
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

26 Recognized(s)

Postby touduke » 13 May 2012, 13:53

After the students uploaded at least 36 clips showing themselves abusing homeless people..

That unbelievable. They must have felt that their actions would be seen as an amusement by the larger public.
People do all kind of cruel&creepy and revolting stuff to other humans - but to make that stuff and themselves public on youtube is puzzling.
Forumosan avatar
touduke
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

67 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby TheGingerMan » 13 May 2012, 13:59

Ryan the third wrote:

Too many students.

I'd say fill a big bucket with urine and feces and pour it over them and post it on youtube. I do not like the idea of people like that having a future.

Seconded.
"Turne ye to the strong hold, ye prisoners of hope,
even to day do I declare that I will render double unto thee:"

~~~ZECHARIAH 9:12

"Or fill high hawkfell of my hand,
with skalds reward for skilled word?"

~~~Egill Skallagrimssøn, c.974

"Opinion is underrated since it is too difficult for most and not understood by the rest."
~~~elektronisk
Forumosan avatar
TheGingerMan
Bureaucrat of the Underworld (cóng dìyù lái de guānliáo)
Bureaucrat of the Underworld (cóng dìyù lái de guānliáo)

4 Recommends(s)
221 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Living in Taiwan