"Apologizing" with one's face covered

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

"Apologizing" with one's face covered

Postby headhonchoII » 13 May 2012, 15:17

I don't like the idea of paying money for restitution. That's too easy for them. Still the mother is making some effort and it must be very humiliating for her to appear in this cultural context, after all it was not her who did this.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1719 Recommends(s)
622 Recognized(s)

Re: "Apologizing" with one's face covered

Postby Hamletintaiwan » 13 May 2012, 15:29

Hamletintaiwan wrote:Those are minors after all and should not be forced to do anything publicly.
Showing their faces could jeopardise their future.
I don't know why Taiwanese are so into public humiliation as a resolve. It doesn't accomplish anything.
It also contradicts all the rules put on us teachers in our daily life.

No corporal punishment of any kind.
Can't kick a student out off class.
Can't have them stand up.
Too many students.
Teachers have so many students that they even don't know their names etc.

But picking now three students and publicly humiliating them is going to solve it all or what?

I'd say fill a big bucket with urine and feces and pour it over them and post it on youtube. I do not like the idea of people like that having a future.
Seconded.

I don't like the idea of anyone throwing around with feceses. It's just ugly and low.
Forumosan avatar
Hamletintaiwan
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

7 Recommends(s)
57 Recognized(s)

Postby Battery9 » 14 May 2012, 08:07

There's no way that they are sorry , they are just sorry they got caught. And now one wants to help the homeless? I wouldn't allow them near homeless people. If someone smacks a kid you're not going to let him volunteer at a kindy now are you? Weird
Battery9
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

27 Recognized(s)

Postby Steviebike » 20 May 2012, 13:12

When I first saw this and found out what they had done, I had a mixture of feelings, from anger to pity. Anger at how these children (I know how old they are) and pity on the homeless people who had to suffer this indignity at the hands of spoilt selfish people.

It brings up the question of humanity and what sort of state it is in. These kids did this for kicks, filmed it for amusement and with a detachment from the 'reality of the consequences'. How does it get like that? I know their parents took some public responsibility. But they had been allowed to get that way, the lack of compassion for those more unfortunate is simply lacking in a lot of society. I'm not talking about Taiwan I'm talking about the whole world.

Sure homeless people pose risks not only to themselves but to others. Yes, their own existence has become a default, some took themselves there others ended up there. The truth is there is still a human inside these people, there is a level of worth and respect (no matter how low or distorted). They feel hurt and pain, more than you or I perhaps. How would I feel? And that is the point and the option these children need to face.

This would be the perfect example of where victim and criminal should meet. I suggest these children spend many many hours in the company of the gentlemen they hurt (under supervision). Find out the terrible truths of their lives. A fine and an apology to the video camera means very little and is swallowed up in an instance to be quickly forgotten and the loss of face is easy to handle.

Rehabilitation of offender should also be the main goal.
Just checking but you're a South African Engrish Teachur right? No. I'm a Russian nuclear physicist.

This post was recommended by 2 Forumosans: Super Hans (20 May 2012, 13:23), urodacus (20 May 2012, 13:35)
Rating: 8%
Forumosan avatar
Steviebike
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

70 Recommends(s)
80 Recognized(s)

Postby Confuzius » 21 May 2012, 00:41

Steviebike wrote:When I first saw this and found out what they had done, I had a mixture of feelings, from anger to pity. Anger at how these children (I know how old they are) and pity on the homeless people who had to suffer this indignity at the hands of spoilt selfish people.

It brings up the question of humanity and what sort of state it is in. These kids did this for kicks, filmed it for amusement and with a detachment from the 'reality of the consequences'. How does it get like that? I know their parents took some public responsibility. But they had been allowed to get that way, the lack of compassion for those more unfortunate is simply lacking in a lot of society. I'm not talking about Taiwan I'm talking about the whole world.

Sure homeless people pose risks not only to themselves but to others. Yes, their own existence has become a default, some took themselves there others ended up there. The truth is there is still a human inside these people, there is a level of worth and respect (no matter how low or distorted). They feel hurt and pain, more than you or I perhaps. How would I feel? And that is the point and the option these children need to face.

This would be the perfect example of where victim and criminal should meet. I suggest these children spend many many hours in the company of the gentlemen they hurt (under supervision). Find out the terrible truths of their lives. A fine and an apology to the video camera means very little and is swallowed up in an instance to be quickly forgotten and the loss of face is easy to handle.

Rehabilitation of offender should also be the main goal.

They just need it done back to them.

What risks did these particular homeless people pose to others? People with homes are just as dangerous. Serial killers, rapists, gangsters, thugs, thieves...many have homes.

BEING homeless poses a risk to one one but the homeless person. Now, there are of course shady homeless people who do awful things..but simply BEING homeless does not pose a risk to people. There is no crime in being homeless (or is there here? is this the PRC or some facist state?)

Just smear shit and urine all over these kids..on camera, upload it to youtube. There, problem solved.
"Knowledge alone is transitory, the outcrop subsequent to 'I desire all things'". - A. O. Spare
Confuzius

113 Recommends(s)
76 Recognized(s)

Postby Puppet » 22 May 2012, 05:38

Hamletintaiwan wrote:
I don't like the idea of anyone throwing around with feceses. It's just ugly and low.

You're right. Now, STINKY TOFU.........
Forumosan avatar
Puppet

60 Recommends(s)
31 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Living in Taiwan