One Way Ticket Visa Question

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

One Way Ticket Visa Question

Postby CanadianTeacher » 13 May 2012, 11:29

So I came across a thread a while back which was saying one could have issues gaining a visitors visa with a one-way ticket, and wanted to know if anyone on the boards could clarify this with any certainty.

I won't bore you with the details, but I cannot get return ticket, and my only option is going with a one way ticket. Will I be left at the airport, and not be allowed a visitors visa without a ticket back? I checked the Taiwanese embassy here in Canada, and they didn't mention anything about needing a return ticket to gain a visitors visa. Also when I tried to call I got that annoying prick of a robot trying to wade me through my question...not fun.

So I would love to hear if any Forumosians have an answer to my question, or any advice that could help me obtain my visa with little difficulties.

Thank you in advance!!! :notworthy:
Forumosan avatar
CanadianTeacher
38 Posts? I'm a bimbo, baby!

ORIGINAL POSTER
5 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Re: One Way Ticket Visa Question

Postby Steviebike » 13 May 2012, 11:41

Whilst I can't compare you to me. I came here on a one-way ticket. I was slightly concerned because I had heard it might pose a problem. No one asked me anything.

If you think about it as another scenario, you could come here on a 90 day visiting visa, but not know where you are going next. So why would you want/need a return ticket?
Just checking but you're a South African Engrish Teachur right? No. I'm a Russian nuclear physicist.
Forumosan avatar
Steviebike
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

70 Recommends(s)
80 Recognized(s)

Postby Hamletintaiwan » 13 May 2012, 11:48

I think you don't need a return ticket.
You need a ticket leaving the island.
This can be HK or Japan or anywhere else.
Forumosan avatar
Hamletintaiwan
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)

6 Recommends(s)
49 Recognized(s)

Postby CanadianTeacher » 13 May 2012, 12:05

Steviebike wrote:Whilst I can't compare you to me. I came here on a one-way ticket. I was slightly concerned because I had heard it might pose a problem. No one asked me anything.

If you think about it as another scenario, you could come here on a 90 day visiting visa, but not know where you are going next. So why would you want/need a return ticket?

Exactly. On my way home I plan on backpacking Europe, but don't know where I'm going to start, so a return ticket is impossible. My travel agent told me an open return ticket is only good for one year, which is impossible for me since I will be signing a one year contract when I find a job.

Thanks a million for the response. Makes me feel more at ease haha. On a side note however, do I need to gain a 90 visiting visa before I depart, or can that be done at the airport?? From what I've read, all that can be done at the airport, but I would love to hear if I am misinformed.

Thanks again for the help!
Forumosan avatar
CanadianTeacher

ORIGINAL POSTER
5 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Postby Ryan the third » 13 May 2012, 12:50

CanadianTeacher wrote:
Steviebike wrote:Whilst I can't compare you to me. I came here on a one-way ticket. I was slightly concerned because I had heard it might pose a problem. No one asked me anything.

Exactly. On my way home I plan on backpacking Europe, but don't know where I'm going to start, so a return ticket is impossible. My travel agent told me an open return ticket is only good for one year, which is impossible for me since I will be signing a one year contract when I find a job.

Thanks a million for the response. Makes me feel more at ease haha. On a side note however, do I need to gain a 90 visiting visa before I depart, or can that be done at the airport?? From what I've read, all that can be done at the airport, but I would love to hear if I am misinformed.

If you do not arrive with a visa I'd bet they want to see the ticket with which you leave Taiwan before they grant you the visa at the airport.
Forumosan avatar
Ryan the third
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

2 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Postby Steviebike » 13 May 2012, 15:47

Ryan the third wrote:
CanadianTeacher wrote:

If you do not arrive with a visa I'd bet they want to see the ticket with which you leave Taiwan before they grant you the visa at the airport.

I didn't have a visa on arrival, just filled in the landing card. You will need and address and a to tick a box on why you're here. I'm English not sure how it is for Canadians... No one even looked at my ticket! But I did land at Kaohsiung on this arrival. Last time it was Taipei and I had a return ticket, guess what, no one looked at my ticket.
Just checking but you're a South African Engrish Teachur right? No. I'm a Russian nuclear physicist.
Forumosan avatar
Steviebike

70 Recommends(s)
80 Recognized(s)

Postby Taiwan Luthiers » 14 May 2012, 10:28

I have heard that airlines will check them and won't let you board unless you have a return ticket if you're going without a visa, because the airline has to return you at their expense if you have been denied entry or something.
Cat-gut strings are made from kitten guts, stretched out to near breaking point and then hardened with grue saliva. As a result these give a feeling of Pain and anguish whenever played, and often end up playing themselves backwards as part of satanic rituals.

Typhoon Guitars
http://www.typhoonguitars.com
Taiwan Luthiers
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

1 Recommends(s)
82 Recognized(s)

Postby Puppet » 14 May 2012, 12:42

Taiwan Luthiers wrote:I have heard that airlines will check them and won't let you board unless you have a return ticket if you're going without a visa, because the airline has to return you at their expense if you have been denied entry or something.

Immigration tends to not give a rat's ass. It's the airline you need to worry about. You might not be able to get on board.

You might be able to book a ticket, and cancel it immediately after you print it out.
Forumosan avatar
Puppet
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

59 Recommends(s)
30 Recognized(s)

Postby CanadianTeacher » 15 May 2012, 00:06

So after many hours on the phone I have found out what will happen.

I most likely will not be able to board my plane without a return ticket. This is a piss off since I specifically asked my travel agent who booked my ticket about issues with one-way tickets, and she said it would not be an issue. It seems like I will have to buy a return ticket at the airport, then cancel it and get a refund when I land. Anyways, I just really wanted to thank Puppet and Taiwan Luthiers, for bringing this to my attention. Otherwise, there would have been a massive freakout by yours truly in the airport. Airport + freakouts + airport security = a bad start.

Thank you both for your resposes!! :notworthy: If we ever meet, there will be many drinks bought for you. But since that probably won't happen, I hope my 'thank yous' will suffice.
Forumosan avatar
CanadianTeacher

ORIGINAL POSTER
5 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Postby Taiwan Luthiers » 15 May 2012, 00:23

Get an outbound ticket to Hong Kong, then cancel it when you get here.
Cat-gut strings are made from kitten guts, stretched out to near breaking point and then hardened with grue saliva. As a result these give a feeling of Pain and anguish whenever played, and often end up playing themselves backwards as part of satanic rituals.

Typhoon Guitars
http://www.typhoonguitars.com
Taiwan Luthiers

1 Recommends(s)
82 Recognized(s)

Next

Return to Living in Taiwan