One Way Ticket Visa Question

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Re: One Way Ticket Visa Question

Postby CraigTPE » 16 May 2012, 06:23

Taiwan Luthiers wrote:I have heard that airlines will check them and won't let you board unless you have a return ticket if you're going without a visa, because the airline has to return you at their expense if you have been denied entry or something.

Airlines are subject to enormous fines for carrying a passenger to a country for which they do not hold proper documents, which includes a "return or onward" ticket.

Passengers are routinely denied boarding if they don't have a "return or onward ticket". A visitor to every country I ever worked with in my 20 years in the travel business, not only Taiwan, needs a "return or onward ticket", according to their own laws. As a matter of business, airlines don't want that risk.

I've never, ever been asked to produce one by an immigration officer, nor have any of my clients ever reported to me they were asked by immigration, but airlines ask. I am always asked by the airline at check-in if they can not see the return ticket in their computer. I worked 5 years for AA in MIA, and it was their policy.

Are there cases when the airline won't ask/require it? Of course. A carrier based in the country to which you are traveling is more likely to let it slide because their own government is less likely to fine them. Airport agents sometimes overlook the rule.

Do you want to take the chance? Up to you, but understand the risk that the airline won't board you.
Forumosan avatar
CraigTPE
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

91 Recommends(s)
34 Recognized(s)

Postby CanadianTeacher » 19 May 2012, 13:30

So when all was said and done, they didn't check haha.

I quickly bought a ticket to Hong Kong before leaving, but neither Air Canada or the people at Taipei airport checked for any flight out. Went through and got my 90-day visa no problem.

Still happy I got the HK ticket just in case, because I would have been a nervous wreck not knowing if I would be allowed in the country. So I'll just get a refund on my HK ticket (with a 70$ refund fee, not a huge deal).

Just wanted to thank everyone again for the advice, and helping me out!!

This post was recommended by Puppet (20 May 2012, 19:10)
Rating: 5.88%
Forumosan avatar
CanadianTeacher
38 Posts? I'm a bimbo, baby!

ORIGINAL POSTER
5 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Postby California » 19 May 2012, 14:23

CanadianTeacher wrote:This is a piss off since I specifically asked my travel agent who booked my ticket about issues with one-way tickets, and she said it would not be an issue.

CanadianTeacher wrote:asked my travel agent who booked my ticket.

CanadianTeacher wrote:travel agent

What am I reading?
Forumosan avatar
California
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

2 Recommends(s)
3 Recognized(s)

Postby mike029 » 20 May 2012, 02:01

For future reference you can just sign a waiver form when you check in.

A few years back I went to Korea for a visa run but stupidly forgot my paperwork. On the way back, Asiana Airlines let me sign a waiver form to waive all responsibility for getting me out of TW for not having proper paperwork (fowarding ticket). That being said, never in the past when entering on a stamp have I even been checked. In my whole life while traveleing, I have only been checked once in Singapore and just said I was going by land to Malaysia afterward. Perhaps the same thing could work if you say you are crossing by ferry Jinmen -> Xiamen?

I highly doubt they are worried about a whitey staying illegally.
mike029
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

3 Recommends(s)
40 Recognized(s)

Previous

x

Return to Living in Taiwan