uber-loud spam trucks

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Re: uber-loud spam trucks

Postby PigBloodCake » 14 May 2012, 09:13

tomthorne wrote:
touduke wrote:You know those who drive slowly around your block advertising something, like during weekends at 9AM.
Recently trucks get louder, they make kids cry and wake up ten-thousands of sleepers.
For some reason, this is the one thing here in Taiwan among all other annoyances that I'd love to confront for my personal satisfaction. No doubt you can imaging me yelling at a driver to STFU, but I'd like to find a more sophisticated (and more successful) way.
So far I have spoken politely to 2 drivers who where stopping on the road - of course to absolutely no avail. Both seems so unbelievably callous and indifferent - all they did was compliment me on my Chinese :D.

It is tricky. We can't report them (like a very loud scooter with illegal tail pipe or a obstructing car) cause AFAIK these trucks and their loud audio are legal. As a first step I'd like to let them know that they are a unwelcome nuisance.

Do you know that they deliberately turn up the volume if they know that a whitey is in the local area?

Now THAT'S micro-aggression :wink:
Life is a bitch and death is her sister.

I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.
PigBloodCake
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

9 Recommends(s)
27 Recognized(s)

Postby touduke » 14 May 2012, 14:03

Taiwan Luthiers wrote:
PigBloodCake wrote:I'm surprised we don't have an "uber-loud temple trucks in tandem" thread yet :ponder:

I am wondering if paint bombs are in order... or perhaps just run up to a truck and toss a smoke grenade in the cab...

Taiwan Luthiers, ha! Well I'm not after urban warfare. Basically I'd just like to get through to those guys that they are a nuisance.
Forumosan avatar
touduke
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

ORIGINAL POSTER
67 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby Nuit » 14 May 2012, 14:22

I was thinking about these only an hour or so ago. I accept and embrace them, and welcome them as they drive past. But how can they drive around all day, all week, all year, with the same damn refrain? You'd think at some point Mr Wang would get home and say to his wife:
"You know, I'm TIRED of listening to that same old stuff. Let's record something new. Something different."

But no, they're going to drive around for the next 20 years with the same old, same old.

Just like my baba (taiwan baba) who drove us to and from the train station this weekend (40 mins each way) with the same CD in the player, with 1 track on constant repeat. Doesn't he NOTICE that the same song is playing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again? Because I sure did.
It's raining again here. I'm rising up like a beautiful bubble to the surface.

A wicked wind whips up the hill, a handful of hopeful words.
I was what you would call seriously strung out.
Forumosan avatar
Nuit
Mando-pop Singer (Guóyǔ liúxíng gēshǒu)

73 Recommends(s)
89 Recognized(s)

Postby touduke » 14 May 2012, 16:06

as much as I agree on the topic of dull monotony, and for me it's the question if they are just 麻木 or rather 麻木不仁, I can't agree on the 'embracing them' part, I think these trucks are (at least sometimes) so loud, it's like someone is shooting at me and my family. drive by shooting.
Forumosan avatar
touduke

ORIGINAL POSTER
67 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby Taiwan Luthiers » 14 May 2012, 16:17

Another way to deal with them...

Break into army base/get military officer relatives to pull strings/whatever and get a Javelin missile launcher and a few missile tubes.

Wait for sound truck to come.

Arm missile, wait for lock, pull the trigger

No more sound trucks
Cat-gut strings are made from kitten guts, stretched out to near breaking point and then hardened with grue saliva. As a result these give a feeling of Pain and anguish whenever played, and often end up playing themselves backwards as part of satanic rituals.

Typhoon Guitars
http://www.typhoonguitars.com
Taiwan Luthiers
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

1 Recommends(s)
80 Recognized(s)

Postby touduke » 14 May 2012, 17:25

Taiwan Luthiers wrote:Another way to deal with them...

Break into army base/get military officer relatives to pull strings/whatever and get a Javelin missile launcher and a few missile tubes.

Wait for sound truck to come.

Arm missile, wait for lock, pull the trigger

No more sound trucks

with one shot?
Forumosan avatar
touduke

ORIGINAL POSTER
67 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby antarcticbeech » 14 May 2012, 17:28

touduke wrote:as much as I agree on the topic of dull monotony, and for me it's the question if they are just 麻木 or rather 麻木不仁, I can't agree on the 'embracing them' part, I think these trucks are (at least sometimes) so loud, it's like someone is shooting at me and my family. drive by shooting.

I see many Taiwanese working very hard for very little money touduke. Like this guy, who walks around on his knees collecting recycling for a crust. He does this all through summer and I can't imagine how hot it must be walking around on the streets all day on your knees, right down next to the asphalt.

The guys driving the uber-loud spam trucks may be quite happy just to have a job, especially one that is so easy. I know that if I was among the ranks of the recyclers I'd jump at the chance.
X
Forumosan avatar
antarcticbeech
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

151 Recommends(s)
132 Recognized(s)

Postby EddieG » 14 May 2012, 21:17

I was thinking about reporting them under the noisy vehicle law just the other day. Is it really not possible? Has anyone tried? I could stand them when living in Taipei but here in Yilan it's just awful.
-
EddieG
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

4 Recommends(s)
7 Recognized(s)

Postby Taiwan Luthiers » 14 May 2012, 21:30

EddieG wrote:I was thinking about reporting them under the noisy vehicle law just the other day. Is it really not possible? Has anyone tried? I could stand them when living in Taipei but here in Yilan it's just awful.

I don't see much of them around Tianmu, there must be a reason for this...
Cat-gut strings are made from kitten guts, stretched out to near breaking point and then hardened with grue saliva. As a result these give a feeling of Pain and anguish whenever played, and often end up playing themselves backwards as part of satanic rituals.

Typhoon Guitars
http://www.typhoonguitars.com
Taiwan Luthiers

1 Recommends(s)
80 Recognized(s)

Postby Nuit » 14 May 2012, 21:32

I suspect the 'noisy vehicle law' may one of the harder Taiwanese laws to get enforced. The Taiwanese thrive off noise, IMO. I've realised that if my local neighbourhood is still quiet, come around 10am, it's the duty of someone to go out and make some noise.

Perish the thought that there's peace and quiet all day. Quick, can someone do some sanding or light drilling?!
It's raining again here. I'm rising up like a beautiful bubble to the surface.

A wicked wind whips up the hill, a handful of hopeful words.
I was what you would call seriously strung out.

This post was recommended by Icon (15 May 2012, 15:03)
Rating: 5.88%
Forumosan avatar
Nuit

73 Recommends(s)
89 Recognized(s)

PreviousNext

Return to Living in Taiwan