Annular Eclipse and tips on how to take photo

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Annular Eclipse and tips on how to take photo

Postby petrarch1603 » 15 May 2012, 21:04

So I found out there's going to be an annular solar eclipse visible from Taiwan next monday morning around 6am.

http://earthsky.org/tonight/annular-eclipse-of-the-sun-china-to-texas-on-may-20-or-may-21

Its pretty early, but its gonna be just after sunrise, so I was thinking it could be a cool chance to get a photo of it with Taipei 101 in front of it. I went to a website where you can calculate the bearing for the sunrise on google maps:

http://www.sunearthtools.com/dp/tools/pos_sun.php

According to this site, the sunrise will be behind Taipei 101 in roughly the southern Da'an park area. Here's a screenshot of the line:

You'll see that there is a yellow straight line coming from Taipei 101 going slightly down and to the left. Anywhere along the line is where the sunrise will intersect Taipei 101. The line could go further down and to the left even more, but the site is kinda clunky and hard to use. You get a rough idea though. The line would keep on going just south of the zhongzheng bridge and along the river to that other bridge...I think its huazhong bridge. If you had a good camera with a nice telephoto lens you could get something like this one

You might need a filter, I don't know, its pretty early around sunrise. Also hopefully the weather is nice. If anyone takes some photos of this please post them here.

The other problem is getting access to a roof on that line at 6am. One option is that bridge from Wanhua to Yonghe. It has a nice view of the city (I'm usually not looking at 101 from there as I don't want to crash while driving on those narrow lanes). And if you're serious about this you could do a few dry runs to get an idea of where to take the photo.

Hopefully the weather will be good and you won't end up like Guilaume Le Gentil http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guillaume_Le_Gentil
"Do something every day that you don't want to do; this is the golden rule for acquiring the habit of doing your duty without pain." -Mark Twain
petrarch1603
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

ORIGINAL POSTER
15 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

Re: Annular Eclipse and tips on how to take photo

Postby urodacus » 15 May 2012, 21:18

Le Gentil... Le poor unfortunate fucker. Thanks for that tidbit!
The prizes are a bottle of f*!@#$% SCOTCH and a box of cheap f!@#$#$ CIGARS!

Too many people! Almost all of the world's problems are due to overpopulation. The rest are due to religion.

50% of the world's wild animals have disappeared in the last 50 years. Did you eat them, or eat their house?
Forumosan avatar
urodacus
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

208 Recommends(s)
266 Recognized(s)

Postby petrarch1603 » 15 May 2012, 21:20

Also, this gif reminds me of the problems with how to frame the photo, its not easy!

"Do something every day that you don't want to do; this is the golden rule for acquiring the habit of doing your duty without pain." -Mark Twain
petrarch1603

ORIGINAL POSTER
15 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

Postby Taiwan Luthiers » 15 May 2012, 22:55

Any good rooftop area with a good view to the sun at this time near Tianmu? I live right by Yangming Shan but the clear sky faces west...
Cat-gut strings are made from kitten guts, stretched out to near breaking point and then hardened with grue saliva. As a result these give a feeling of Pain and anguish whenever played, and often end up playing themselves backwards as part of satanic rituals.

Typhoon Guitars
http://www.typhoonguitars.com
Taiwan Luthiers
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

1 Recommends(s)
90 Recognized(s)

Postby Typhun » 16 May 2012, 16:48

Given that it's that close to sunrise, I wonder if it won't be blocked by the mountains to the southeast.
Typhun
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

Postby cranky laowai » 16 May 2012, 17:24

The closest spot to Tianmu might be somewhere east of Chinese Culture University -- though I'm not sure what exact place would work.
Forumosan avatar
cranky laowai
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

37 Recommends(s)
41 Recognized(s)

Postby petrarch1603 » 21 May 2012, 07:21

I just got back from the river front park near Jiangzicui to take photos of the eclipse. I started out with a healthy McDonalds breakfast. The skies were touch and go. The west was very clear but the east, where the sun was rising, it was pretty cloudy. I even felt a few raindrops as I walked toward the 華江 bridge.

I was a little discouraged at this point as it took some will power to get out of the house so early in the morning. It was pretty cloudy although the sun was peeking through a few holes in the clouds. I think Neihu might have had some good visibility. Based on my perspective.

At about 6:05, 5 minutes before the 'maximum' of the eclipse a hole miraculously opens and some light appears. It was still shaded at my spot where the three rivers met. But further down toward the Xinzhuang/Sanzhong side I could see pure sunlight on the pillars and supports of the bridge. The light slowly made its way toward my location.

My first shot of the eclipse and a lucky one. I used an old Canon TX-1 which comes with 40x digital zoom. Keeping it steady and finding the sun was difficult. I took a couple of quick glances at the sun with my bare eyes, but it was much too bright to even contemplate staring at. The shadows actually were beneficial because a few times the clouds opened up and the naked sun illuminated my screen. However my camera was unable to take any pictures of that.

A few more:

All in all it was a pretty fun experience. Even if there was no eclipse the riverfront looked beautiful at that time of the morning. There were majestic billowy clouds over the Bali area and occasional rays of light illuminated the Grand Hotel and parts of Yangming Shan. I talked to a few other people who were taking photos but mostly it was old people and cyclists exercising. A few people stopped and didn't seem to realize what was going on.

Oh, and that advice about taking it from the Guting area was probably bad because that part of Taipei was cloudy for most of the eclipse.

petrarch1603

ORIGINAL POSTER
15 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

Postby dosvog2002 » 21 May 2012, 08:07

I took these from Da'an Park this morning. The clouds parted just at the right time. Right time and place, wrong photographer!

First few were taken with a haze filter at 210mm. Full annular shot were taken without a filter.

Nice way to start the week!
dosvog2002
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

Postby dosvog2002 » 21 May 2012, 08:09

Oh, and I had the same experience, nobody seemed to realize anything special was going on.
dosvog2002
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

Postby Taiwan Luthiers » 21 May 2012, 10:02

I didn't get up to see it because of the cloudy sky...

I was curious was there any noticeable darkening of the sky?
Cat-gut strings are made from kitten guts, stretched out to near breaking point and then hardened with grue saliva. As a result these give a feeling of Pain and anguish whenever played, and often end up playing themselves backwards as part of satanic rituals.

Typhoon Guitars
http://www.typhoonguitars.com
Taiwan Luthiers

1 Recommends(s)
90 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Living in Taiwan