Wayyy Too Expensive?!

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Wayyy Too Expensive?!

Postby jc.rocketfingers » 19 May 2012, 10:45

Hi everybody, I've got a small request for some numbers re: living expenses in Taiwan.

Currently I'm living in Taipei but am considering a move to Kaohsiung. One of the big factors is cost of living expenses. So, I'm hoping some people with experience could help me fill in the blanks here.

For instance, how much is rent (on average) in KS - for an apartment downtown, for a house on the fringe, etc? Any info you can provide is helpful but please clarify what kind of dwelling you're talking about. Other figures would be useful too, like food and bar prices, transit, taxis... anything, really.

Thanks a million!
Forumosan avatar
jc.rocketfingers
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)

Re: Wayyy Too Expensive?!

Postby creztor » 19 May 2012, 13:15

Kaohsiung is light years cheaper in terms of rent. You'll pay around 8k - 10k for a 2 or 3 bedroom apartment, and it may or may not be furnished depending on where in KHH you are living. Can't comment on the price of a house. I don't take taxis and haven't gone to any bars in years, so maybe someone else can chime in with that information.
Lost in Kaohsiung :D
creztor
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

89 Recommends(s)
18 Recognized(s)

Re: Wayyy Too Expensive?!

Postby navillus » 19 May 2012, 23:07

Rent is certainly where you'll find the big difference. Taxis start at 85NT. If you live somewhere near the center of town you should rarely spend upwards of 200NT on a cab. Most people get a scooter. Most foreign hang-outs have beer in the 100-120NT range. The price of food can take a broad range depending on what you prefer. I rarely go to western style restaurants so I spend very little on food. I usually eat at home. You can eat at the local places for as little as 50 to 70 a meal. The few times I've been up to Taipei I didn't really notice drastic differences on the price of most things other than what my friends were paying for rent.
"collective madness is called sanity"
Paulo Coelho, Veronika Decides to Die
Forumosan avatar
navillus
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)

6 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Living in Taiwan