Children of Enlightenment

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Children of Enlightenment

Postby crystaleye » 21 May 2012, 09:36

http://cinefugue.com/coe/about.html

Japan, known only decades ago as a society of buttoned-down workaholics, is in the midst of a social revolution. “Japan, Inc.” – the old conservative system in which corporations ruled people’s lives from cradle to grave – is in decline, and in its place is a world of uncertainty. And so Japan’s young people are walking away from corporate serfhood by the millions. Much like their Western counterparts in the 1960s, 70s, and 80s, they are seeking fulfillment in more creative, individualistic pursuits, and challenging the social conventions of an older time.

Children of Enlightenment will bring you face-to-face with Japan's own Flower Children: underground musicians, starving artists, and the world's most colorful fashion maniacs. You will feel the quiet revolution in the bars, galleries, and coffee shops where young people meet to talk. You will see it on the street and in the amazing styles on display. You will find it in the city parks and hip neighborhoods that have become exhibition halls for the latest ideas. And you will experience it in the epic music festivals, art fairs, and fashion shows where the counterculture comes together.

You will see how Japanese kids are tuning in, turning on, and dropping out.

History


In the 1980s, Japan was known as a nation of hard-driving, suit-wearing businessmen and their picture-perfect apron-clad housewives, ready to dominate the world with hard work and rigid obedience. The few socialists and other malcontents who strayed from the beaten path were sneered at and forgotten. But a funny thing happened on the way to corporate nirvana. In the 1990s, crony capitalism and poor leadership helped send Japan’s economy into a tailspin from which it has yet to fully recover. Suddenly, entrance exams and a college degree were no longer the fast track to success. Millions of young Japanese people began to question the straight and narrow path. They began to abandon the corporate climb and look for a life with more fulfillment, self-expression, freedom, and human interaction. Slowly but surely, a vibrant and colorful new Japan was born from the ashes of the old.
These days, Japan is already “big” in the West, and getting bigger. Japanese pop-culture mainstays like anime and manga are household words, subcultures like "cosplay" and "lolita" culture are gaining an overseas following, and American and European designers and artists are beginning to take inspiration from the colorful, intricate Japanese styles visible in books like Fruits. But relatively few Westerners are yet aware of the full magnitude of the youth culture revolution that is bubbling in the neon urban mazes of Japan itself. The purpose of Children of Enlightenment is to deliver the direct experience of Japan’s wild, untamed bohemian underground to the American living room for the first time.

The Film

Children of Enlightenment is an immersive documentary feature film that will depict Japanese counterculture in its raw, lush, colorful reality, focusing on the worlds of art, music, and fashion, and on the new lifestyles explored by pioneering youth. Inspired by music documentaries like Woodstock and arthouse films like Slacker and Sans Soleil, Children of Enlightenment will immerse the audience in the world of its subjects.

You will have a chance to witness the amazing spectacles of iconic events like the Fuji Rock festival (three days, 250,000 attendees) and the Tokyo Design Festa (100,000 attendees); these pageants of chaos and creativity are where the riot of Japan’s youth counterculture reaches its pinnacle of energy. In addition, the film will cover a vast number of smaller events: vocational fashion school graduation shows (usually involving music and dance routines); underground rock concerts; art shows; a “Yosakoi” college dance festival; a cosplay parade; and dance parties in urban and rural settings.

We will also explore places frequented by the counterculture, including trendy neighborhoods like Shimokitazawa, Kichijoji, and Ura-hara in Tokyo, Ame-mura and Nishi-Umeda in Osaka, and others in Fukuoka. You will get a chance to explore the “furugi-ya” (“remade”) fashion stores, cafes and bars frequented by Japanese artists, “live houses” used for rock and fashion shows, skate parks, and vocational schools for fashion, drawing, and film.

And we will follow the “Children” to their hangouts and homes. You will learn what these young people talk about, how they party, how they form relationships and fall in love. We believe that you will be thrilled by the openness of the Children’s experience; the ease with which Japanese music, art, and fashion fans mingle and accept newcomers can be astonishing. Finally, we will explore the social issues surrounding Japan’s art generation – the failure of the corporate/government system to support creative industries, the rigidly segmented labor market that keeps creative employees from earning high incomes, and the regulations that inhibit entrepreneurship.

Children of Enlightenment will show you what it is like to be an “alternative” youth in modern Japan.
The war is mine!

這局我贏定了!
crystaleye
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
 
Posts: 303
ORIGINAL POSTER
Joined: 06 Sep 2009, 16:29
34 Recommends(s)
3 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: Children of Enlightenment

Postby crystaleye » 21 May 2012, 09:44

As mentioned in my previous threads, I had the opportunity to live in more than one country in my life. A few of those countries have significant chinese populations.

One thing which always irks me about the Chinese/Taiwanese/HKese is that the Chinese/Taiwanese/HKese youths are too bloody obedient to their parents. An obedience and subservience which results in the retarded growth of too many Chinese/Taiwanese/Hkese youths whom I know in my life.

When a human allows other humans to dictate the direction of his or her own life, the growth and maturity of that particular human will be stunted. It is like forcing a plant or a flower to grow sideways by tying it down with a string instead of letting the plant or flower grow straight into the sky which is its true destiny.

An example of bloody idiotic Chinese/Taiwanese/HKese youths' blind obedience to their parents is exemplified by this thread where the OP of that thread had to get a fake boyfriend in order to appease the incessant nagging of her parents who are out in arms to get her married off.

http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi ... 2&t=109135

Cases like this are dime a dozen in the chinese/taiwanese/hkese culture, i kid you not.
The war is mine!

這局我贏定了!
crystaleye
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
 
Posts: 303
ORIGINAL POSTER
Joined: 06 Sep 2009, 16:29
34 Recommends(s)
3 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: Children of Enlightenment

Postby crystaleye » 21 May 2012, 09:55

crystaleye wrote:As mentioned in my previous threads, I had the opportunity to live in more than one country in my life. A few of those countries have significant chinese populations.

One thing which always irks me about the Chinese/Taiwanese/HKese is that the Chinese/Taiwanese/HKese youths are too bloody obedient to their parents. An obedience and subservience which results in the retarded growth of too many Chinese/Taiwanese/Hkese youths whom I know in my life.

When a human allows other humans to dictate the direction of his or her own life, the growth and maturity of that particular human will be stunted. It is like forcing a plant or a flower to grow sideways by tying it down with a string instead of letting the plant or flower grow straight into the sky which is its true destiny.

An example of bloody idiotic Chinese/Taiwanese/HKese youths' blind obedience to their parents is exemplified by this thread where the OP of that thread had to get a fake boyfriend in order to appease the incessant nagging of her parents who are out in arms to get her married off.

http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi ... 2&t=109135

Cases like this are dime a dozen in the chinese/taiwanese/hkese culture, i kid you not.


There are a lot of delusional chinese men who fantasize about chinese culture taking over the world.

I feel that unless the Chinese/Taiwanese/HKese youths find the strength in them to prevent their own parents from telling them what to do with their own lives, China/Taiwan/HK will never exceed the accomplishments of the Japanese, much less take over the world.

Because a nation of subservient children will never grow up to become a nation of leaders. A nation of subservient children will always remain a nation of subservient slaves, always kowtowing to other races or nations.

One of the reasons why Japan had flourished in the past, why the Japanese culture had dominated the world, is because there is an army .. yes you heard it right.. an army of japanese counter-culturalists right now.

What's happening in Japan is that the counter-culture in Japan is the mainstream instead. So you are having the majority of Japanese youths identifying themselves with the counter-culture scene instead of listening to their parents like some obedient pets.

Revolution and rebellions can be accomplished without bloodshed. Just look at Japan and watch the movie "Children of Enlightenment".
The war is mine!

這局我贏定了!
crystaleye
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
 
Posts: 303
ORIGINAL POSTER
Joined: 06 Sep 2009, 16:29
34 Recommends(s)
3 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: Children of Enlightenment

Postby Steviebike » 21 May 2012, 10:13

I'm sure you are a lovely person. But what are you talking about? There are no mystic answers in the world and there is certainly not one singular path. For some the parent-child relationship is fine (in any given culture) for others it is not. But we can't escape the parent-child relationship. For centuries it has worked and produced an ever growing population – this is the only purpose of any life-form. I understand the need to find 'a path'. To know what the hell is going on. But preaching to others with half cooked ideas is not the way. Enlightenment is a singular path and you can not offer your own enlightenment to others for they need to seek there own, if any at all. Don't expect anyone to listen, follow or understand. Don't waste your time posting quack messages on here. Tuning in and dropping out is lazy and far from solving the worlds problems. When did any esoteric movement heal the world? The world (as in a metaphor) is locked in a constant battle of light and dark, this is the balance, it won't change. The Ying and Yang if you like, although to me it's just the struggle of life (in the personal sense).

Magic is magic, it's not real. Don't let magic reflect on your real life.

Grand Wizard Steve in the kingdom of bikes
Just checking but you're a South African Engrish Teachur right? No. I'm a Russian nuclear physicist.

This post was recommended by darienpeak (21 May 2012, 10:25)
Rating: 5.88%
Forumosan avatar
Steviebike
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
 
Posts: 1504
Joined: 12 Oct 2011, 16:26
Location: Taipei
70 Recommends(s)
80 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: Children of Enlightenment

Postby crystaleye » 21 May 2012, 11:14

Steviebike wrote:I'm sure you are a lovely person. But what are you talking about? There are no mystic answers in the world and there is certainly not one singular path. For some the parent-child relationship is fine (in any given culture) for others it is not. But we can't escape the parent-child relationship. For centuries it has worked and produced an ever growing population – this is the only purpose of any life-form. I understand the need to find 'a path'. To know what the hell is going on. But preaching to others with half cooked ideas is not the way. Enlightenment is a singular path and you can not offer your own enlightenment to others for they need to seek there own, if any at all. Don't expect anyone to listen, follow or understand. Don't waste your time posting quack messages on here. Tuning in and dropping out is lazy and far from solving the worlds problems. When did any esoteric movement heal the world? The world (as in a metaphor) is locked in a constant battle of light and dark, this is the balance, it won't change. The Ying and Yang if you like, although to me it's just the struggle of life (in the personal sense).

Magic is magic, it's not real. Don't let magic reflect on your real life.

Grand Wizard Steve in the kingdom of bikes


Most parents in the world today, regardless of their race, nationality or age, are miserable failures as human beings.

So if a generation of youths is to obey their parents blindly like how the chinese/taiwanese/hkese youths blindly obey their parents, that generation of youths will turn out to be just as big a failure as their parents' generation thus churning out generation after generation of miserable wage slaves.

For humanity, for any nation to truly evolve, a generation of youths must find the courage and conviction to overthrow their parents for good, to strip away the bad and improve on the good.

I dare say Japan is on the verge of a EVOLUTIONARY RENAISSANCE never seen before in history.
The war is mine!

這局我贏定了!
crystaleye
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
 
Posts: 303
ORIGINAL POSTER
Joined: 06 Sep 2009, 16:29
34 Recommends(s)
3 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: Children of Enlightenment

Postby GuyInTaiwan » 21 May 2012, 11:37

What the hell does "evolutionary renaissance" even mean, and why capitalise it?

Also, you are aware that Japan is screwed economically, right? It's demographics are also insane. That place is going to collapse under the weight of all those oldies getting socialised medicine, and all those weirdo urban hipsters who aren't having children because that's what their square parents did. Japan is not moving in the right direction. It's driving off a cliff.

That's not to say the Chinese speaking world is where it's at either, merely to say that Japan is definitely not where it's at.
And you coming in to scold us all like some kind of sour-puss kindie assistant who favors olive cardigans and lemon drinks without sugar. -- Muzha Man

One sometimes gets the impression that the mere words "Socialism" and "Communism" draw towards them with magnetic force every fruit-juice drinker, nudist, sandal-wearer, sex-maniac, Quaker, "Nature Cure" quack, pacifist, and feminist in England. -- George Orwell
GuyInTaiwan
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)
 
Posts: 7231
Joined: 10 Jun 2008, 23:01
341 Recommends(s)
269 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: Children of Enlightenment

Postby tomthorne » 21 May 2012, 12:16

crystaleye wrote:
Because a nation of subservient children will never grow up to become a nation of leaders. A nation of subservient children will always remain a nation of subservient slaves, always kowtowing to other races or nations.



by definition a leader requires followers. Therefore, how could there ever be a nation of leaders?

Also, some people like following orders. That may be their "destiny" and, if so, it's, like, destined. Anyway, I don't believe in destiny and even if I did there's nothing I could do about it.
tomthorne
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
 
Posts: 4562
Joined: 20 Jun 2007, 22:55
Location: NanKan
217 Recommends(s)
178 Recognized(s)

6000

Children of Enlightenment

Postby headhonchoII » 21 May 2012, 12:55

Crystaleye has got a very good point here. Unless people start thinking for themselves and at least trying new things how can there be real change. Where I am from we have completely changed our society, mostly for the better, due to the new generations throwing off religion and old conservative ideas.

But not only that, many of the older people themselves changed their ideas. You don't see that so much in Chinese societies where material change is fast but social change very slow.

Most Ethnic Chinese kowtow to their parents for inheritance, not for BS ideas about filial piety. They live their lives according to their parents wishes, marrying the right people, doing the right jobs, forced to stay nearby and babied so they don't become independent, often bought a house and a car by the inlaws (nice but controlling). They end up completely confused loving and hating their parents at the same time and never feeling like they gave their a life a full shot at things.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)
 
Posts: 11668
Joined: 26 Aug 2002, 10:40
Location: Taipei
1314 Recommends(s)
504 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: Children of Enlightenment

Postby sandman » 21 May 2012, 14:00

Most parents in the world today, regardless of their race, nationality or age, are miserable failures as human beings.

That IS scary! Thank Christ my parents aren't "most parents." Thank Christ I'm not "most parents." :roll:
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)
 
Posts: 30176
Joined: 04 Jun 2001, 16:01
28 Recommends(s)
196 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: Children of Enlightenment

Postby crystaleye » 21 May 2012, 14:25

GuyInTaiwan wrote:What the hell does "evolutionary renaissance" even mean, and why capitalise it?

Also, you are aware that Japan is screwed economically, right? It's demographics are also insane. That place is going to collapse under the weight of all those oldies getting socialised medicine, and all those weirdo urban hipsters who aren't having children because that's what their square parents did. Japan is not moving in the right direction. It's driving off a cliff.

That's not to say the Chinese speaking world is where it's at either, merely to say that Japan is definitely not where it's at.


See all these misconceptions are what caused the world to be in its current straits today.

Why do we have to measure the worth of a country by its economics? or its demographics? Are you saying the citizens of any particular country can only be happy if that country has one of the highest GDP in the world? or if that country is constantly producing new babies?

Your benchmarks are not the benchmarks for happiness. Instead, your benchmarks are the benchmarks to measure how successful a nation of slaves is at managing and producing slaves.You sound like one of those farmers I know in NZ who is always measuring the efficiency of his farm by showcasing how much young his animals have produced or how much milk his cows have churned out for that day.

To tell you the truth, I think the Chinese speaking countries have gotten very successful at producing and managing a nation of slaves. Just take tour to those industrial areas in China and see with your own eyes how the Chinese are HAPPILY slaving away in factories at minimum wages while the elites of China live out in style in multi-level mansions.
The war is mine!

這局我贏定了!
crystaleye
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
 
Posts: 303
ORIGINAL POSTER
Joined: 06 Sep 2009, 16:29
34 Recommends(s)
3 Recognized(s)

6000

Next




 
 
 x

Return to Living in Taiwan



Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: sunberry, taiwanlovescoffee and 11 visitors

Life, if well lived, is long enough -- SENECA, De Ira