Page One in Sogo

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Page One in Sogo

Postby browny » 22 May 2012, 15:10

Does anyone know if the Page One bookstore located within the Sogo department store is still around? Someone told me that they thought that it had closed down but wasn't exactly sure.
Is it still open?
I would like to go to the Page One in Taipei 101 but it doesn't fit my time schedule. I really miss the size and the way that Page One looked like when it first opened at Taipei 101. Now it is just a shadow of its former self. Oh well.
browny
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Page One in Sogo

Postby AmoyMama » 22 May 2012, 16:47

Yeah, I think it's gone. Pity.
AmoyMama
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

13 Recommends(s)
14 Recognized(s)

Postby Feiren » 22 May 2012, 16:53

Yeah, well it was a pretty stupid idea to open a huge English-language bookstore in an expensive location in a non-english speaking country. What were they thinking?

I liked it too.
Feiren
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)

4 Recommends(s)
198 Recognized(s)

Postby ichbinjenny » 22 May 2012, 23:19

Feiren wrote:Yeah, well it was a pretty stupid idea to open a huge English-language bookstore in an expensive location in a non-english speaking country. What were they thinking?

I liked it too.

Right-o. :+) They should have opened a small one on a back alley in Taichung instead.
ichbinjenny
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

29 Recommends(s)
7 Recognized(s)

Postby Pingdong » 23 May 2012, 01:20

probably be in business still if they had :)

the one in taipei 101 is still there though right?
Pingdong
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

20 Recommends(s)
52 Recognized(s)

Postby lostinasia » 23 May 2012, 06:57

Pingdong wrote:probably be in business still if they had :)

It was still there a couple of months ago, but even smaller, and now hiding: you have to down a corridor near where its entrance used to be. It's hard enough to find now, and so much reduced, that I doubt it'll be there much longer; that floor (building!) is now basically reserved for high-end brand stores catering to Mainland Chinese tourists.
Forumosan avatar
lostinasia
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

43 Recommends(s)
74 Recognized(s)

Postby the bear » 23 May 2012, 08:44

lostinasia wrote:
Pingdong wrote:probably be in business still if they had :)

It was still there a couple of months ago, but even smaller, and now hiding: you have to down a corridor near where its entrance used to be. It's hard enough to find now, and so much reduced, that I doubt it'll be there much longer; that floor (building!) is now basically reserved for high-end brand stores catering to Mainland Chinese tourists.

I won't go near it now anyway because it is full of said mainland tourists bellowing at each other at the top of their lungs. Even the Jason's has switched its focus on to Asian snack foods. Might as well just stick a big red flag on top of yao-ling-yao.
I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.
Forumosan avatar
the bear
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

27 Recommends(s)
100 Recognized(s)

Postby naijeru » 26 May 2012, 06:27

Feiren wrote:Yeah, well it was a pretty stupid idea to open a huge English-language bookstore in an expensive location in a non-english speaking country. What were they thinking?

I liked it too.

I suppose it was inevitable. Page One was a great refuge when I was in Taiwan. At least it'll always be big in my memories. That said, it sucked as a bookstore, I only went there to look at magazines.
Forumosan avatar
naijeru

8 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Living in Taiwan