Too hot, too sunny, too humid ... the weather sucks 2012

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Too hot, too sunny, too humid ... the weather sucks 2012

Postby Icon » 23 May 2012, 18:09

As per title.

Welcome to the at least shower twice a day weather. Shower and arrive at work drenched in sweat weather. No air con in the office is cause to quit.

At least it is still breezy out there.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
724 Recommends(s)
568 Recognized(s)

Re: Too hot, too sunny, too humid ... the weather sucks 2012

Postby Deuce Dropper » 23 May 2012, 18:18

Never talk bad about the sun whilst on this cloudy wet island. NEVER!

This post was recommended by 2 Forumosans: tommy525 (23 May 2012, 23:43), 260020 (18 Jul 2012, 12:35)
Rating: 8%
Forumosan avatar
Deuce Dropper
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

93 Recommends(s)
466 Recognized(s)

Postby Baas Babelaas » 23 May 2012, 19:54

Weather aint bad here in Xiamen, 100 miles away. Lots of rain, and I love that.

35c+ still coming..
Forumosan avatar
Baas Babelaas
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

9 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)

Postby TheGingerMan » 23 May 2012, 22:13

Icon wrote:As per title.

Welcome to the at least shower twice a day weather. Shower and arrive at work drenched in sweat weather. No air con in the office is cause to quit.

At least it is still breezy out there.

It was more so last week.
Just you wait, Gonna get yours!
Meanwhile, enjoy the interlude.
"Turne ye to the strong hold, ye prisoners of hope,
even to day do I declare that I will render double unto thee:"

~~~ZECHARIAH 9:12

"Or fill high hawkfell of my hand,
with skalds reward for skilled word?"

~~~Egill Skallagrimssøn, c.974

"Opinion is underrated since it is too difficult for most and not understood by the rest."
~~~elektronisk
Forumosan avatar
TheGingerMan
Bureaucrat of the Underworld (cóng dìyù lái de guānliáo)
Bureaucrat of the Underworld (cóng dìyù lái de guānliáo)

4 Recommends(s)
242 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 0- 0-2114
Gruntleness: Fully Disgruntled

Postby Icon » 25 May 2012, 09:49

No AC in the office... :dance: :cookie: :taz: :shocker: :grrr: :no-no:

Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
724 Recommends(s)
568 Recognized(s)

Postby Taiwan Luthiers » 25 May 2012, 09:52

Icon wrote:No AC in the office... :dance: :cookie: :taz: :shocker: :grrr: :no-no:

I don't get how so many Taiwanese can wear full suits in an office without air conditioning. Is it that they don't feel the heat or they just don't complain about it?
Cat-gut strings are made from kitten guts, stretched out to near breaking point and then hardened with grue saliva. As a result these give a feeling of Pain and anguish whenever played, and often end up playing themselves backwards as part of satanic rituals.

Typhoon Guitars
http://www.typhoonguitars.com
Taiwan Luthiers
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

1 Recommends(s)
90 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 25 May 2012, 09:56

Dunno. I'm wearing shorts and low shoulder cut blouse. But I feel for my Englishee speaking colleagues: button shirts, tie and suit pants, on the sunny side of the building...

Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
724 Recommends(s)
568 Recognized(s)

Postby PapaAzucar » 26 May 2012, 14:48

For those that have been in Taiwan for a long time (like greater than 5 years), does your body eventually adapt to the weather so that you feel less of the heat or humidity?

Am I the only one who thinks that the thermostats for the indoors in Taiwan are set too high (even in the big department stores)?

I mean that I can set the A/C in my room to 23 degrees C with no clothes and I still sweat.

The locals tell me that they are used to the weather and humidity so they don't sweat as much.

Does the body eventually adjust to the local weather?
PapaAzucar
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

1 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Postby PapaAzucar » 26 May 2012, 14:51

sorry double post due to slow uploading.
PapaAzucar

1 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Postby Taiwan Luthiers » 26 May 2012, 14:58

PapaAzucar wrote:For those that have been in Taiwan for a long time (like greater than 5 years), does your body adapt to the weather so that you feel the heat or humidity less?

Am I the only one who thinks that the thermostats for the indoors in Taiwan are set too high (even in the big department stores)?

I mean that I can set the A/C in my room to 23 degrees C with no clothes and I still sweat.

The locals tell me that they are used to the weather and humidity so they don't sweat as much.

Does the body eventually adjust to the local weather?

It seems many Taiwanese are too cheap to use AC's so they won't use it, or if they do use it they leave it at like 28 or something. Otherwise they only use it when guests are over. So maybe because of that they are able to adapt better to the heat?

When I did my time in the military they did not have AC's at all and I can't sleep when its hot. I think I was able to use the AC at 26 degrees (before military I had to put it at 23 degrees), but heat really sucks even then. Cold showers help though, but I always felt like does the Taiwanese not feel the heat or they don't complain about it?

Fan will help a lot but without AC it doesn't do much. I've seen people run like 10 fans in the house when there are more people there, and I could have swore the electricity to run one AC is probably less than all the fans combined.
Cat-gut strings are made from kitten guts, stretched out to near breaking point and then hardened with grue saliva. As a result these give a feeling of Pain and anguish whenever played, and often end up playing themselves backwards as part of satanic rituals.

Typhoon Guitars
http://www.typhoonguitars.com
Taiwan Luthiers

1 Recommends(s)
90 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Living in Taiwan