Lifetips for tall people?

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Lifetips for tall people?

Postby pobro » 26 May 2012, 20:56

I'm 6'7" (last measured, possibly taller now), and although I spend most of the year in the States, I'm here for part of the summer every year. With my ridiculous height, it has become increasingly difficult to live/find stuff here. I wear size 14 shoes, my pants inseam is 38", and I bump my head everywhere I go. Any tips on living in Taiwan with my proportions? (places to buy stuff to fit)
pobro
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Lifetips for tall people?

Postby tomthorne » 26 May 2012, 21:11

If you're only here for part of the summer you're obviously bringing stuff you need from the states. What things are you forgetting to bring that you then need to buy here?
tomthorne
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

217 Recommends(s)
179 Recognized(s)

Postby Chris » 26 May 2012, 21:17

I'm only 6'2", shoe size 12-1/2, and I buy my clothes and shoes during my annual visits to the US.

I find that Taiwan is designed for short people so I have to hunch over a lot. Wonderful for my posture... So try to stand tall and stretch out when you can so you don't end up a hunchback. I feel for you, especially when flying on airplanes.

Even at home, I'm sure you've had more than your fill of "Wow, you're so tall. You must play basketball." Well, it doubles in Taiwan. (Though at least for me, I rarely hear it anymore in Taipei.)
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

82 Recommends(s)
175 Recognized(s)

Postby pobro » 26 May 2012, 21:26

I said I was 6'7", but I think I forgot to mention that I'm also Taiwanese. My parents are local, but I was raised overseas. Home is technically here.

I need a pair of slacks and a nice dinner jacket or blazer.

The past week has basically been "Oh hey you're taller than Jeremy Lin. Why aren't you in the NBA, huh?" Hopefully this fad will pass and I can go back to just being awkwardly stared at.
pobro

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby skoster » 27 May 2012, 00:47

pobro wrote:I said I was 6'7", but I think I forgot to mention that I'm also Taiwanese. My parents are local, but I was raised overseas. Home is technically here.

I need a pair of slacks and a nice dinner jacket or blazer.

The past week has basically been "Oh hey you're taller than Jeremy Lin. Why aren't you in the NBA, huh?" Hopefully this fad will pass and I can go back to just being awkwardly stared at.

Tell 'em you're on the pro fishing circuit and don't have time for basketball.
skoster
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

125 Recommends(s)
97 Recognized(s)

Postby fh2000 » 27 May 2012, 07:01

I have to look it up and see that you are really tall for a Taiwanese. Jeremy Lin is "only" 6'3".

Quote from Google:
"6' 7'' is 79 inches, so, remember 2.54 centimeters = 1 inch.
79 inches (2.54 centimeters/1 inch)
= 200.66 centimeters"
fh2000
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

10 Recognized(s)

Postby cranky laowai » 27 May 2012, 10:03

My father is 6' 8". He was able to find shirts that fit in some of the remainder stores in Tianmu on Zhongshan North Road section 7.

There's the "Big" store. But better would probably be the two stores in the same area with wood floors. I don't remember the name. I think this is one.

He didn't try to buy pants here, so I don't know if you could get appropriately sized slacks there. But there's always the Pants Kingdom (?) chain -- the one whose motto boasts "Even the biggest bird can fit in our pants." They also sell shirts and maybe jackets. Things there probably won't be cheap.

If those places don't have what you need, you might want to consider going to a tailor.

This post was recommended by jimipresley (27 May 2012, 10:08)
Rating: 5.88%
Forumosan avatar
cranky laowai

37 Recommends(s)
41 Recognized(s)

Postby Enigma » 28 May 2012, 20:09

My life tip is "duck".
On a more serious note, you need a good tailor. There are many posts on here about that but if you get agitated, pm me. I get all mine tailored because of XXX size. Actually, I have found him cheaper than most off the rack stuff.
Enigma
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)

15 Recommends(s)
10 Recognized(s)

Postby Deuce Dropper » 28 May 2012, 20:47

Down in the garment district (deep into Nanjing West Road) they do high quality tailored suits (better than most other countries in the region) for reasonable prices (south of 300USD with quality materials per suit).
Forumosan avatar
Deuce Dropper
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

81 Recommends(s)
408 Recognized(s)

Postby ehophi » 30 May 2012, 03:31

Wear a helmet.

I saw a 7-foot-tall French guy here a long time ago (when Hook was still open). I asked him how he could live in this city since he was so tall. He just had to duck a lot.
Study Chinese at your leisure.
(Disclaimer: There's no moneyback guarantee because it's already free. You're welcome.)
ehophi
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

49 Recommends(s)
63 Recognized(s)

Return to Living in Taiwan