Prison in Taiwan- computer and internet access

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Re: Prison in Taiwan- computer and internet access

Postby pgdaddy1 » 27 May 2012, 00:39

Chris wrote:
pgdaddy1 wrote:Two boys, two different mothers, one will very likely want our son to be able to spend significant time with me, the other is doubtful at the moment but situation may improve.

Sounds like no arrest threat originating from Mom #1; I assume the threat originates from Mom #2? Is it possible to negotiate with her (i.e. your lawyer talk to hers) and remove any threat of arrest?

Chabuduo dui. Tried everything, unfortunately Mom 1 is not ready yet to make total peace and drop the charges. Have offered to increase the maintenance allowance or even a lump sum agreement but she is not interested. Mom 2 would like me to return to Taiwan, she would sure appreciate some help looking after our son ....

NC Surfer, I read that guy's blog before, doesn't sound pleasant at all, didn't see where it said "no internet/ laptop" though, but I will assume that there isn't unless someone can prove otherwise !

CV, I am definitely in a dodgy business: accountant, never trust 'em- almost as bad as lawyers .....[/quote][/quote]
Forumosan avatar
pgdaddy1
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

ORIGINAL POSTER
108 Recommends(s)
46 Recognized(s)

Postby Northcoast Surfer » 27 May 2012, 01:21

pgdaddy1 wrote:Tried everything, unfortunately Mom 1 is not ready yet to make total peace and drop the charges. Have offered to increase the maintenance allowance or even a lump sum agreement but she is not interested.

How about putting it into terms that a Taiwanese can understand and appreciate. "Honey, I'm coming back to Taiwan. If you press charges against me, I'll be jailed, I'll lose my job, and after my prison sentence I'll be deported never to return to Taiwan. I'm alright with that, but you might not be because that would mean that there WON'T BE ANY MONEY EVER AGAIN! So, let's do what's right for our son and not press charges against me. I'll come back, be able to help you with a greater amount of financial stability. You only have two choices to consider. 1. - much better conditions with much, much more MONEY 2. - bad conditions, NO MONEY AT ALL EVER AGAIN!"

pgdaddy1 wrote:NC Surfer, I read that guy's blog before, doesn't sound pleasant at all

Pussy, whimpy jail time. You could do it standing on your head! It's no big deal!

pgdaddy1 wrote:didn't see where it said "no internet/ laptop" though, but I will assume that there isn't unless someone can prove otherwise!

No. None. Sorry. After all, it isn't a country club. You can have books, but unfortunately no notebook computers. I will be glad to bring you all kinds of books to comfort you while you are incarcerated. :cool:

pgdaddy1 wrote:I am definitely in a dodgy business: accountant, never trust 'em- almost as bad as lawyers

Alright pal, no books for you! :raspberry:
Forumosan avatar
Northcoast Surfer
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

175 Recommends(s)
142 Recognized(s)

Postby PigBloodCake » 27 May 2012, 10:38

Northcoast Surfer wrote:
pgdaddy1 wrote:NC Surfer, I read that guy's blog before, doesn't sound pleasant at all

Pussy, whimpy jail time. You could do it standing on your head! It's no big deal!

Indeed. It's not like you're gonna be someone's girlfriend in there :wink:
Life is a bitch and death is her sister.

I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.
PigBloodCake
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

9 Recommends(s)
27 Recognized(s)

Postby jimipresley » 27 May 2012, 10:45

Taiwan prisons are no walk in the park. Don't be mistaken. The regimen is fierce and grinding. There may not be as much rape as in prisons in other countries, but it still happens. :2cents:
You can live here and have a great life and not be the least bit into living the local life. Clowns will try to diss you for it saying you gotta get down with the program, but fuck em, treat this place like a buffet and yous be on a diet. Take what you want and nothing extra, slam those oysters, but leave the bread sticks and dinner rolls behind. - Deuce Dropper

I'm much more of a nasty rotter in real life, especially with vapid or vacuous verbiage from the ill read & intellectually challenged. - TheGingerMan

Don't be a cheap cunt. - Deuce Dropper
Forumosan avatar
jimipresley
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

941 Recommends(s)
354 Recognized(s)

Postby TheGingerMan » 27 May 2012, 12:25

jimipresley wrote:Taiwan prisons are no walk in the park. Don't be mistaken. The regimen is fierce and grinding. There may not be as much rape as in prisons in other countries, but it still happens. :2cents:

Indeed. I wonder how much jail time certain posters have actually done themselves, or even come in contact with via proxy?
:ponder:
"Turne ye to the strong hold, ye prisoners of hope,
even to day do I declare that I will render double unto thee:"

~~~ZECHARIAH 9:12

"Or fill high hawkfell of my hand,
with skalds reward for skilled word?"

~~~Egill Skallagrimssøn, c.974

"Opinion is underrated since it is too difficult for most and not understood by the rest."
~~~elektronisk
Forumosan avatar
TheGingerMan
Bureaucrat of the Underworld (cóng dìyù lái de guānliáo)
Bureaucrat of the Underworld (cóng dìyù lái de guānliáo)

3 Recommends(s)
211 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 27 May 2012, 12:54

They got any Jail HOuse Rock?

but seriously to OP. MIghty big chance you taking. PUtting it ALL on the line like that.

Kudos to that ninja spirit. But Id probably stay outa the rock till the threat is not imminent.

CAnt help your brood if you is in the jailhouse can ya?
CATS ROCK !
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

522 Recommends(s)
338 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 27 May 2012, 13:22

I hope he's getting advice from foreign lawyers and not from local ones. Or if foreign, knowledgeable ones. I find it strange that the lawyers would actually suggest him to do the time. :eh:
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

595 Recommends(s)
468 Recognized(s)

Postby Northcoast Surfer » 27 May 2012, 13:47

Nobody is saying he should volunteer to do jail time. I'm saying that if he absolutely needs to be with his kids, come back to Taiwan and damned be the consequences. If he has to do time, then do it like a man and put it behind him. But, he should first exhaust all avenues available to him to avoid doing time. This of course includes getting a Taiwanese lawyer, having proper counsel and finding out the worse case scenario that could befall him. Also, knowing that he won't be able to take his notebook computer, have WIFY access and conduct his business on the outside from the inside of Taiwan's prison system seems to be an important point to understand.

That's why I think a good course of action would be to illustrate to the ex-wife that if she insists on pressing charges for the email hack allegation, that she would end up worse off and ultimately their son would suffer based on her actions. It would be much more advantageous to all concerned for the ex-wife to bury the hatchet (not in his head) and take all the money she can get and let pgdaddy return to Taiwan. Now, if she's a psycho xiao-jie and she can' see the wisdom in dropping the charges, then there's not much he can do except come back to Taiwan, face the music and let the chips fall where they may.

I hope pgdaddy is able to come back to Taiwan and that his ex-wife follows the best course of action, drop the ridiculous charges.

It's been so long since I've seen a "happy ending story" in Taiwan and pgdaddy's could be the one to brighten my day! :bow:
Forumosan avatar
Northcoast Surfer

175 Recommends(s)
142 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 27 May 2012, 13:52

Yep, it is atough spot. Hope it does work out in the end, for the kids' sake. bet of luck, PG.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

595 Recommends(s)
468 Recognized(s)

Postby finley » 27 May 2012, 14:35

That's why I think a good course of action would be to illustrate to the ex-wife that if she insists on pressing charges for the email hack allegation, that she would end up worse off and ultimately their son would suffer based on her actions. It would be much more advantagous to all concerned for the ex-wife to bury the hatchet (not in his head) and take all the money she can get and let pgdaddy return to Taiwan. Now, if she's a psycho xiao-jie and she can' see the wisdom in dropping the charges, then there's not much he can do except come back to Taiwan, face the music and let the chips fall where they may.

I dunno. I doubt logic comes into it when negotiating with ex-wives. And then, as tommy says, if you're in jail then you're not much use to your kids. He would also have compounded the problem by (a) jeopardizing his source of income (b) demonstrating to his children that bad people always win and (c) acquiring a criminal record which will ensure he will not be able to do anything in Taiwan (should he find a way to stay) except become a taxi driver or a politician. I think it would be better to stay away, maintain whatever contact he can (email/phone) with the kids until they're old enough to understand his side of the story and make their own life plans (and travel arrangements). :2cents:
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
finley
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

752 Recommends(s)
586 Recognized(s)

PreviousNext

x

Return to Living in Taiwan