YoYo Card reader slant or flat, what say you?

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Re: YoYo Card reader slant or flat, what say you?

Postby sandman » 04 Jun 2012, 14:19

superking wrote:
sandman wrote:You DO see them around the MRT stations. I have four of the green student ones. One had NT$4,000 on it.

Are these cards in no way linked to a person? People just blindly stick money on a bit of plastic and then leave them lying about? The Oyster card in London is something you have to swipe. People seem happy enough with that. Plus they are linked to you by your name. Is there nowhere in the MRT station to hand these cards in Sandman? :lol:

Of course you can hand them in. That way, the clerk can get the 4k. Me? Personally? I'd prefer it to stay firmly with MOI!
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby superking » 04 Jun 2012, 14:23

Chip and pin them then. Anyone can top up a card without a pin number, but you need one to use the money on the card...
There are millions of people in the world. And none of those people is an extra. They're all leads in their own stories.

If you lose one sense, your other senses are enhanced. That's why people with no sense of humour have an increased sense of self-importance.
superking
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

93 Recommends(s)
343 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 04 Jun 2012, 14:24

This must be the most boring question ever asked on Forumosa!
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1734 Recommends(s)
623 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 04 Jun 2012, 14:25

The taiwan cards are fully usable for rides on buses/ MRT and purchases at many stores. No PIN needed. NO ID needed.

fully transferable between holders of the card. Therefore i never have more then 200 nt on mine in taipei.
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
608 Recommends(s)
379 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 04 Jun 2012, 14:27

headhonchoII wrote:This must be the most boring question ever asked on Forumosa!

Its not a question. Its an attempt to "warn" you of the "great" danger of using one of these slanted card readers :lol: Admittedly the news has been slow since the whats her name beat up of the cab driver.

( I forgot her name already, shes had her 11 ...less then 15 minutes)
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
608 Recommends(s)
379 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 04 Jun 2012, 14:33

sandman wrote:
superking wrote:
sandman wrote:You DO see them around the MRT stations. I have four of the green student ones. One had NT$4,000 on it.

Are these cards in no way linked to a person? People just blindly stick money on a bit of plastic and then leave them lying about? The Oyster card in London is something you have to swipe. People seem happy enough with that. Plus they are linked to you by your name. Is there nowhere in the MRT station to hand these cards in Sandman? :lol:

Of course you can hand them in. That way, the clerk can get the 4k. Me? Personally? I'd prefer it to stay firmly with MOI!

Problem with the student ones is that anyone over 30 is not supposed to be using them. Rats and double rats.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

732 Recommends(s)
570 Recognized(s)

Postby superking » 04 Jun 2012, 14:38

headhonchoII wrote:This must be the most boring question ever asked on Forumosa!

I dunno fella, you just asked a cracker yourself...

you wouldn't be angling for Jeffrey Mindich's job would you?

:lol:
There are millions of people in the world. And none of those people is an extra. They're all leads in their own stories.

If you lose one sense, your other senses are enhanced. That's why people with no sense of humour have an increased sense of self-importance.
superking

93 Recommends(s)
343 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 04 Jun 2012, 15:58

Icon wrote:
sandman wrote:
superking wrote:

Problem with the student ones is that anyone over 30 is not supposed to be using them. Rats and double rats.

Mine stays in my wallet. Nobody sees it.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby PigBloodCake » 04 Jun 2012, 16:30

sandman wrote:
Icon wrote:
sandman wrote:
superking wrote:

Mine stays in my wallet. Nobody sees it.

Yeah and a triple beep will alert the bus driver/MRT operator to ask you for your senior ID card :lol:
Life is a bitch and death is her sister.

I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.
PigBloodCake
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

9 Recommends(s)
27 Recognized(s)

Postby antarcticbeech » 04 Jun 2012, 17:08

I just used a tilted reader but it had a plastic strip glued along the bottom of its face to stop the card slipping off. :bravo:
X
Forumosan avatar
antarcticbeech
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

162 Recommends(s)
163 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Living in Taiwan