Street Market Hygiene Now Includes Dog Urine

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Street Market Hygiene Now Includes Dog Urine

Postby tango42 » 08 Jun 2012, 10:19

Was at the popular street market the other day with a friend to buy some vegtables.

Noticed a person walking a rather large dog around lunch time, which decided to raise his leg and urinate on the basket of vegtables from which vendors were selling and buyers were buying. Both people selling the items watched it, the dog owner watched it, the people standing there buying watched it, and people standing or passing on the street caught it.

No one did anything. They just kept selling and buying.

Have also watched street vendors within walking distance of Taipei 101 through their chicken and vegtables on the asphalt behind the shop and chop it up.

Late at night, have watched the standard evening process of blue trucks from outside the city, pull up with open racks, no cooling or climate control or covering, with sides and quarters of beef and pork, and dump and pile them on the parking lot pavement at the Dongyuen market near the bridge to Zhonghe. This market is where a huge majority of the meat comes from that is distributed throughout Taipei city on a daily basis.
“Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson
tango42
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER
6 Recommends(s)
41 Recognized(s)

Re: Street Market Hygiene Now Includes Dog Urine

Postby timmyjames » 08 Jun 2012, 10:41

nothing some ground tiger penis and boiled elephant testicles won't take care of...and if that fails, ghost money
timmyjames
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

1 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 08 Jun 2012, 11:26

If my dogs did that, we all would be chopped with a cleaver... it has come close to that once when they were scratching themselves about 10 meters away from the fish stand...

As to the hygine, if it is good for the rats it is good for me.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

759 Recommends(s)
592 Recognized(s)

Postby California » 08 Jun 2012, 16:35

Buy your food at Welcome or Carrefoure. :bow:
Forumosan avatar
California
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

2 Recommends(s)
3 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 08 Jun 2012, 16:45

California wrote:Buy your food at Welcome or Carrefoure. :bow:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Where do you think they get their food? :lol: :lol: :lol: All you get there is the exact same piss-stained produce, except its packed in a styrofoam box and wrapped in clingfilm.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby Belgian Pie » 08 Jun 2012, 16:49

tango42 wrote:Was at the popular street market the other day with a friend to buy some vegtables.

Noticed a person walking a rather large dog around lunch time, which decided to raise his leg and urinate on the basket of vegtables from which vendors were selling and buyers were buying. Both people selling the items watched it, the dog owner watched it, the people standing there buying watched it, and people standing or passing on the street caught it.

Have also watched street vendors within walking distance of Taipei 101 through their chicken and vegtables on the asphalt behind the shop and chop it up.

Late at night, have watched the standard evening process of blue trucks from outside the city, pull up with open racks, no cooling or climate control or covering, with sides and quarters of beef and pork, and dump and pile them on the parking lot pavement at the Dongyuen market near the bridge to Zhonghe. This market is where a huge majority of the meat comes from that is distributed throughout Taipei city on a daily basis.

That's why Taiwanese rinse everything before cooking ... meat (steak, lamb, really every kind of meat), fish, vegetables ... I have never seen anyone rinse meat in Belgium ... except for chicken ...

If all fails and people get sick they pray and burn some ghostmoney, than call the press ...
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

2 Recommends(s)
84 Recognized(s)

Postby Deuce Dropper » 08 Jun 2012, 18:22

tango42 wrote:Was at the popular street market the other day with a friend to buy some vegtables.

Its true, and the state of most small local restaurants is appalling, but what amuses me most is that the vast majority of locals are 'germaphobes' who think shaking hands is risky business.

I could give a fuck, Asia builds up the immune system (until it eventually shuts it down for good)
Forumosan avatar
Deuce Dropper
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

93 Recommends(s)
468 Recognized(s)

Postby Pingdong » 08 Jun 2012, 21:36

when has it ever not been like this? Same in the west as well, just they get all excited about hiding it and spray more shit to kill things.

there are 3 options for living in taiwan and food:

1. get over it and just realize you are going to be sent to emergency 1-3 times annually from some form of (probably nbacterial) contamination. I get ecoli, or something similar, a lot (couple times a year)

2. grow your own and cook your home (best bet worldwide in my opinion)

3. only eat at the finest of the fine and just pray to your gods that they are actually good quality and not jsut charging 10X more because they use 1/2 as much and dim the lights.

with all that said, even in places like North America/europe etc where many people assume better food practices, much is imported. especially processed food. I have been to processing plants, farms, and packing places and I can say i really try not to eat things that dont resemble the raw form anymore we are all eating bugs, rat shit, probably even actual rats.

the key word with food safety is sterilziation. wonder why most taiwanese food (meal type) is cooked, for good reason.
Pingdong
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

20 Recommends(s)
52 Recognized(s)

Postby archylgp » 08 Jun 2012, 22:11

Pingdong wrote: most taiwanese food (meal type) is cooked, for good reason.

Exactly. I could care less about dirt and piss -- it gets cooked out. What worries me is the heavy metals and chemicals that we ingest from crops grown in polluted soil, sneaky additives and what not...not to mention the air..
archylgp
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

150 Recommends(s)
30 Recognized(s)

Postby bumclouds » 09 Jun 2012, 20:57

Pingdong wrote:2. grow your own and cook your home

Dunno about that. I kinda like the place where I'm living.
Your warning level: [4]
Forumosan avatar
bumclouds

100 Recommends(s)
85 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Living in Taiwan