It's raining and flooding, but we still have internet

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Re: It's raining and flooding, but we still have internet

Postby Belgian Pie » 12 Jun 2012, 11:30

I got it again, rain came from the wrong direction ... living room flooded a little by water coming in through the ... fuse box ... yeah!

Big buildings have a 'utility shaft' running from the basement to the top floor ... well, our shaft has a duct going through for venting air from the basement in case of fire ... now these (2) ducts are right above our fuse box in the same shaft, probably as always 'cha bu duo' sealed so that when rain fals in an angle just seeps through the wall ... right on top of our fuse box ... :loco:
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

2 Recommends(s)
80 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 12 Jun 2012, 11:42

Belgian Pie wrote:I got it again, rain came from the wrong direction ... living room flooded a little by water coming in through the ... fuse box ... yeah!

Big buildings have a 'utility shaft' running from the basement to the top floor ... well, our shaft has a duct going through for venting air from the basement in case of fire ... now these (2) ducts are right above our fuse box in the same shaft, probably as always 'cha bu duo' sealed so that when rain fals in an angle just seeps through the wall ... right on top of our fus box ... :loco:

Fuse box. :eek: Now that's a new one. :loco:
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

721 Recommends(s)
566 Recognized(s)

Postby Impaler » 13 Jun 2012, 05:03

Icon wrote:But the office still feels like a furnace and I am sweating like a pig on a barbeque.

Pigs don't sweat. :)
It's amazing what getting out of the care of the Scottish National Health Service can do for your life expectancy.

"Mostly, nature looks after itself, if you let it. If you arrange things correctly, nature will do all the hard work for you, but it takes a lot of careful thought, planning, attention to detail, and a little experimentation. In other words, we're all doomed." -- finley
Forumosan avatar
Impaler
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

2 Recommends(s)
38 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 13 Jun 2012, 09:58

Impaler wrote:
Icon wrote:But the office still feels like a furnace and I am sweating like a pig on a barbeque.

Pigs don't sweat. :)

Rub it with salt, pepper and spices, add some chipotle sauce and throw in the barbie and you'll see how it sweats. :lol:

Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

721 Recommends(s)
566 Recognized(s)

Postby Belgian Pie » 13 Jun 2012, 12:44

Icon wrote:
Belgian Pie wrote:I got it again, rain came from the wrong direction ... living room flooded a little by water coming in through the ... fuse box ... yeah!

Big buildings have a 'utility shaft' running from the basement to the top floor ... well, our shaft has a duct going through for venting air from the basement in case of fire ... now these (2) ducts are right above our fuse box in the same shaft, probably as always 'cha bu duo' sealed so that when rain fals in an angle just seeps through the wall ... right on top of our fus box ... :loco:

Fuse box. :eek: Now that's a new one. :loco:

Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

2 Recommends(s)
80 Recognized(s)

Postby Pingdong » 13 Jun 2012, 22:51

damn i actually went somewhere and watched tv last night. looks bad up there with REAL flooding. my bridges were on the news which i found interesting because although it was a REALLY heavy rain, it wasn't anything to write home about. like a typhoon without bad wind. but man, the video on tv sure made it look massive, I hope you guys were not caught in any of that crazy stuff.

fuse box, nice. although I do find (in homes, not apts) that electrical boxes on outer walls always tend to leak a bit, and you can tell later one cause the pant around them flakes. 2 problems cause it so far as i can tell. first is lack of sealing, and second is real shitty concrete work, which is very common. they pout too much sand in and sometimes the concrete will actually grow and bubble under the paint. thankfully we didnt flood, but our stairs did all run down with water for a bit, which we baged and directed towards a drain.

I have never flooded from ground water, only from poor house design/constrtuction and flood from the sky haha.

belgian pie, if you bring that up to your land lord, can you tape it and post it? I would love to see what a landlord does when pressed on an issue that wont ever be looked at :)
Pingdong
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

ORIGINAL POSTER
20 Recommends(s)
52 Recognized(s)

Postby urodacus » 13 Jun 2012, 23:10

Icon, are you asking for someone to rub chipotle sauce over you?

I'm sure i could but it would take a few days to get over there and you'd probably have lost the urge by then.

Sorry about that.
The prizes are a bottle of f*!@#$% SCOTCH and a box of cheap f!@#$#$ CIGARS!

Too many people! Almost all of the world's problems are due to overpopulation. The rest are due to religion.

50% of the world's wild animals have disappeared in the last 50 years. Did you eat them, or eat their house?
Forumosan avatar
urodacus
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

208 Recommends(s)
266 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 14 Jun 2012, 09:33

urodacus wrote:Icon, are you asking for someone to rub chipotle sauce over you?

I'm sure i could but it would take a few days to get over there and you'd probably have lost the urge by then.

Sorry about that.

:doh: Not unless you want to be turned off. Chocolate, on the other hand...

I was looking at some carnitas someone had prepared in the ol' country. When the sauces start dripping, poor piggie is said to be "sweating". Then the meat falls off the bone.. just like mine right now, no need for sauce. So friggin' hot in this friggin' office...

Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

721 Recommends(s)
566 Recognized(s)

Postby Pingdong » 14 Jun 2012, 15:28

are you allowed to have a personal fan? it is simply amazing how far a small fan and a wet cloth can go. some days i just dont leave the fan or my cloth, unless going to rewet it.
Pingdong

ORIGINAL POSTER
20 Recommends(s)
52 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 14 Jun 2012, 15:36

Pingdong wrote:are you allowed to have a personal fan? it is simply amazing how far a small fan and a wet cloth can go. some days i just dont leave the fan or my cloth, unless going to rewet it.

Had 3. The boss had to borrow one, though, she was about to faint. The two I have are OK.

Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

721 Recommends(s)
566 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Living in Taiwan