Living in Jiayi

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Living in Jiayi

Postby Firedracax » 15 Jun 2012, 07:58

I've done much research on Jiayi, and it seems like a nice place to live in Taiwan. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me how it is from a person's perspective, rather than some travel article.
Firedracax
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Living in Jiayi

Postby funkymonkey » 15 Jun 2012, 11:49

I've been in Jiayi for about 11 years. If you like nightlife, it isn't the place for you. I'll be happy to answer any specific questions you have.
Being in politics is like being a football coach. You have to be smart enough to understand the game, and dumb enough to think it's important.

- Eugene McCarthy
Forumosan avatar
funkymonkey
Combat Zone Mama-san (zhànqū māma sāng)

32 Recognized(s)

Postby tsukinodeynatsu » 16 Jun 2012, 05:31

Apparently there's a turkish restaurant there. I love Turkish food, so I want to try it.

Not much else in Jiayi. Turkey rice. Nice weather. Good people.

A bit more convenient than Tainan, I think. Tainan's a bigger city, but everything we have here you have there (apart from the pubs..and even then there's a couple of foreigner places). But you're one hour away from Taichung, close to Alishan and close to Guanziling. If you wanna go anywhere but Kaohsiung or Tainan, Tainan is not the place to be.
tsukinodeynatsu
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

57 Recommends(s)
65 Recognized(s)

Postby jimipresley » 16 Jun 2012, 13:37

I go to Jiayi frequently to umpire cricket. The first time was a bit of a shock. I had to walk 2 miles to find a convenience store. I couldn't find an ATM. If you're at one of the two pubs late, you have to CALL for a taxi. :eek:

Sleepy hollow.

I'm not knocking the village, mind. Some of my good friends have friends who know people who live there.
You can live here and have a great life and not be the least bit into living the local life. Clowns will try to diss you for it saying you gotta get down with the program, but fuck em, treat this place like a buffet and yous be on a diet. Take what you want and nothing extra, slam those oysters, but leave the bread sticks and dinner rolls behind. - Deuce Dropper

I'm much more of a nasty rotter in real life, especially with vapid or vacuous verbiage from the ill read & intellectually challenged. - TheGingerMan

Don't be a cheap cunt. - Deuce Dropper
Forumosan avatar
jimipresley
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1024 Recommends(s)
387 Recognized(s)

Postby funkymonkey » 16 Jun 2012, 15:42

tsukinodeynatsu wrote:Tainan's a bigger city, but everything we have here you have there...

Except for a Costco! :fume:
Being in politics is like being a football coach. You have to be smart enough to understand the game, and dumb enough to think it's important.

- Eugene McCarthy
Forumosan avatar
funkymonkey

32 Recognized(s)

Postby Tigerman » 16 Jun 2012, 16:14

The best papaya milkshakes in the entire world are made and sold in downtown Jiayi. Near the circle... right next to the famous chicken rice shop, there is a little hole in the wall place with no signage other than one that indicates the size of their shakes are 500cc. I've been buying those papaya shakes since 1985. Sublimely ambrosial perfection in every 500cc cup.
As it is, we seem to regard it as a positive objection to a reasoner that he has taken one side or the other. We regard it (in other words) as a positive objection to a reasoner that he has contrived to reach the object of his reasoning. We call a man a bigot or a slave of dogma because he is a thinker who has thought thoroughly and to a definite end.

Tigerman
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

261 Recommends(s)
195 Recognized(s)

Postby trubadour » 16 Jun 2012, 16:26

I've heard the food is better in the sticks
trubadour
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

114 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby jimipresley » 16 Jun 2012, 16:31

There's more to life than turkey rice and papaya milkshakes! :grandpa:
You can live here and have a great life and not be the least bit into living the local life. Clowns will try to diss you for it saying you gotta get down with the program, but fuck em, treat this place like a buffet and yous be on a diet. Take what you want and nothing extra, slam those oysters, but leave the bread sticks and dinner rolls behind. - Deuce Dropper

I'm much more of a nasty rotter in real life, especially with vapid or vacuous verbiage from the ill read & intellectually challenged. - TheGingerMan

Don't be a cheap cunt. - Deuce Dropper
Forumosan avatar
jimipresley
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1024 Recommends(s)
387 Recognized(s)

Postby tsukinodeynatsu » 16 Jun 2012, 22:01

trubadour wrote:I've heard the food is better in the sticks

FAR better. Every time I go to Taipei I'm like...'What's this? And why is it so expensive?'

Unless it's Western food. You can get EVERYTHING in Taipei.

funkymonkey wrote:
tsukinodeynatsu wrote:Tainan's a bigger city, but everything we have here you have there...

Except for a Costco! :fume:

Oh yeah! But that's new, so I forgot about it. To be far, you have your pick of Tainan Costco or Taichung Costco.
tsukinodeynatsu

57 Recommends(s)
65 Recognized(s)

Postby almas john » 17 Jun 2012, 22:16

I don’t post on here much these days and the main reason is that I was viciously ridiculed for my love of Jiayi Turkey Rice (and its variant Jiayi Chicken Rice). Okay, I’m naming names – Sandman! That bastard (and I don’t care if I’m banned) has a pathological hatred of Jiayi. How often have you heard him say anything good about Jiayi? He is a Mocker of all things Jiayi! Bastard!
Ha ha ha - I have the last laugh.
The great thing about Jiayi Turkey Rice is that it has spread throughout the island, as any great food spreads, so you don’t need to actually reside in Jiayi to enjoy its culinary contribution to world culture. You can get Jiayi's culinary delight from Taipei to Taidong because its deliciousness can not be suppressed. To paraphrase Mel Gibson in Braveheart, FOOD FREEDOM!!

Now, where did I put my bootle, bot, bo, f**k it, my live-giving beverage!
almas john
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)

24 Recommends(s)
60 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Living in Taiwan