Living in Jiayi

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Re: Living in Jiayi

Postby antarcticbeech » 18 Jun 2012, 17:36

I've always liked Turkey coffee.
X
Forumosan avatar
antarcticbeech
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
 
Posts: 1873
Joined: 21 Jun 2010, 00:35
151 Recommends(s)
132 Recognized(s)

6000

Living in Jiayi

Postby headhonchoII » 18 Jun 2012, 17:47

Muzha Man wrote:
headhonchoII wrote:
Muzha Man wrote:
headhonchoII wrote:You seen any turkeys in Taiwan?


Yes.

In an indication of the growing diversity of export opportunities in Taiwan, Rainbow Valley Turkeys from St Arnaud near Horsham Victoria have secured an important deal selling premium turkey eggs to a grower in the south-western Taiwanese city of Jiayi.

The eggs are then hatched and the turkeys bred for their succulent flesh, before arriving at dining tables in the form of signature Taiwanese dishes such as the local delicacy Jiayi ‘Turkey Meat Rice’.


http://www.austrade.gov.au/Aussie-expor ... fault.aspx


You really mean 'then mixed with bog standard chicken in many establishments before arriving on dinner tables'.

And the question was 'have you seen any turkeys in Taiwan'?
I have, but only in zoos.


I answered. Yes, I have seen turkeys on farms in Taiwan.


You mean tourist farms? I ain't never seen no goddang turkey round these ere parts.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)
 
Posts: 12173
Joined: 26 Aug 2002, 10:40
Location: Taipei
1480 Recommends(s)
556 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: Living in Jiayi

Postby Mucha Man » 18 Jun 2012, 18:25

headhonchoII wrote:
Muzha Man wrote:
headhonchoII wrote:
Muzha Man wrote:
headhonchoII wrote:You seen any turkeys in Taiwan?


Yes.

In an indication of the growing diversity of export opportunities in Taiwan, Rainbow Valley Turkeys from St Arnaud near Horsham Victoria have secured an important deal selling premium turkey eggs to a grower in the south-western Taiwanese city of Jiayi.

The eggs are then hatched and the turkeys bred for their succulent flesh, before arriving at dining tables in the form of signature Taiwanese dishes such as the local delicacy Jiayi ‘Turkey Meat Rice’.


http://www.austrade.gov.au/Aussie-expor ... fault.aspx


You really mean 'then mixed with bog standard chicken in many establishments before arriving on dinner tables'.

And the question was 'have you seen any turkeys in Taiwan'?
I have, but only in zoos.


I answered. Yes, I have seen turkeys on farms in Taiwan.


You mean tourist farms? I ain't never seen no goddang turkey round these ere parts.


One farmer told me they dress em up to look like chickens. :raspberry:
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)
 
Posts: 18219
Joined: 01 Nov 2001, 17:01
Location: Mucha, of course
711 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: Living in Jiayi

Postby Mucha Man » 18 Jun 2012, 18:28

4000 MT a year according to the United States Department of Agriculture

http://www.indexmundi.com/agriculture/? ... production
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)
 
Posts: 18219
Joined: 01 Nov 2001, 17:01
Location: Mucha, of course
711 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: Living in Jiayi

Postby tsukinodeynatsu » 18 Jun 2012, 21:13

Apparently most of the Turkey rice is actually chicken. I have to say, I'm surprisingly blasé about it if it's true. But it doesn't really look like Chicken...

I had no idea about the palace museum. That's awesome.

If you like Taiwanese literature, Jiayi is the hometown of Lai He, the father of modern Taiwanese literature. Lots of little stories and places can be traced through his works, which is pretty cool.
tsukinodeynatsu
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
 
Posts: 1816
Joined: 10 Jun 2009, 14:40
Location: Tainan
57 Recommends(s)
65 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: Living in Jiayi

Postby Deuce Dropper » 19 Jun 2012, 00:34

There is a great golf course there that no one ever plays at. No waits, no stares from the peanut gallery, just you, your pals and your cooler full of beer.
Forumosan avatar
Deuce Dropper
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
 
Posts: 3714
Joined: 30 Nov 2008, 16:09
Location: 北市
81 Recommends(s)
408 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: Living in Jiayi

Postby formosaobama » 19 Jun 2012, 08:49

Deuce Dropper wrote:There is a great golf course there that no one ever plays at. No waits, no stares from the peanut gallery, just you, your pals and your cooler full of beer.



Are you talking about the one in Fanlu township called (something) Palms? We passed by it and I was told former president LTH used to golf there. Said to be a Robert Trent Jones course. Membership well out of reach for honest working folks.
Forumosan avatar
formosaobama
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
 
Posts: 155
Joined: 27 Dec 2010, 10:24
5 Recommends(s)
8 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: Living in Jiayi

Postby funkymonkey » 19 Jun 2012, 11:03

formosaobama wrote:
Deuce Dropper wrote:There is a great golf course there that no one ever plays at. No waits, no stares from the peanut gallery, just you, your pals and your cooler full of beer.



Are you talking about the one in Fanlu township called (something) Palms? We passed by it and I was told former president LTH used to golf there. Said to be a Robert Trent Jones course. Membership well out of reach for honest working folks.

No one plays there because no one can afford it.
Being in politics is like being a football coach. You have to be smart enough to understand the game, and dumb enough to think it's important.

- Eugene McCarthy
Forumosan avatar
funkymonkey
Combat Zone Mama-san (zhànqū māma sāng)
Combat Zone Mama-san (zhànqū māma sāng)
 
Posts: 1634
Joined: 17 Oct 2004, 22:23
Location: Chiayi
31 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: Living in Jiayi

Postby PigBloodCake » 19 Jun 2012, 11:12

Muzha Man wrote:
headhonchoII wrote:
Muzha Man wrote:
headhonchoII wrote:You seen any turkeys in Taiwan?


Yes.

In an indication of the growing diversity of export opportunities in Taiwan, Rainbow Valley Turkeys from St Arnaud near Horsham Victoria have secured an important deal selling premium turkey eggs to a grower in the south-western Taiwanese city of Jiayi.

The eggs are then hatched and the turkeys bred for their succulent flesh, before arriving at dining tables in the form of signature Taiwanese dishes such as the local delicacy Jiayi ‘Turkey Meat Rice’.


http://www.austrade.gov.au/Aussie-expor ... fault.aspx


You really mean 'then mixed with bog standard chicken in many establishments before arriving on dinner tables'.

And the question was 'have you seen any turkeys in Taiwan'?
I have, but only in zoos.


I answered. Yes, I have seen turkeys on farms in Taiwan.


There is a 嘉南火雞養殖場. And 嘉南 = Jiayi + Tainan.
Life is a bitch and death is her sister.

I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.
PigBloodCake
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
 
Posts: 1016
Joined: 07 Jun 2011, 16:51
9 Recommends(s)
27 Recognized(s)

6000

Living in Jiayi

Postby headhonchoII » 19 Jun 2012, 11:28

So you believe that all turkey rice is actually turkey and rice. Right.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)
 
Posts: 12173
Joined: 26 Aug 2002, 10:40
Location: Taipei
1480 Recommends(s)
556 Recognized(s)

6000

PreviousNext




Return to Living in Taiwan



Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: BurningBane, thelyo and 11 visitors

Many people die with their music still in them. Why is this so? Too often it is because they are always getting ready to live. Before they know it, time runs out -- OLIVER WENDELL HOLMES