Why Do Taiwanese People Stare At Me?

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Re: Why do only foreigners hit on me?

Postby bumclouds » 17 Jun 2012, 03:33

bismarck wrote:1. People don't stare, because in Taiwanese culture it's rude to stare.

Your warning level: [3]
Forumosan avatar
bumclouds
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)

88 Recommends(s)
53 Recognized(s)

Postby bismarck » 17 Jun 2012, 12:55

bumclouds wrote:
bismarck wrote:1. People don't stare, because in Taiwanese culture it's rude to stare.

Out of context.

bismarck wrote:
superking wrote:It would help if we had some data from the Taiwanese, but either they don't know themselves, or nobody has thought to ever ask them.

Over the last decade I've probably asked several hundred, or more, this same question. Why do people stare at whitey here? These were the stock answers I've always gotten.
1. People don't stare, because in Taiwanese culture it's rude to stare. :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
2. Maybe they weren't looking at you. :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
3. They're just curious. :ohreally:

Context is everything. This is the answers I've gotten from Taiwanese on this question. The rofl smilies indicate I don't believe those answers either.
World Champions 1995, 2007; Tri-Nations champions 1998, 2004, 2009; Grand Slam Champions 1912/13, 1931/32, 1951/52, 1960/61; Defeated British & Irish Lions 1903, 1924, 1938, 1962, 1968, 1980, 2009
Super 14 Champions 2007, 2009, 2010
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Second of all, as in all honeymoons, all is well until it is not. It is until the unexpected happens that you will see all grievances surface -ask anyone in any relationship. The girl can chew with her mouth open, that if you love her, you do not care. If you do not lover her, if her pinkie toe is half an inch deviant, the relationship is doomed. - Icon
Forumosan avatar
bismarck
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

150 Recommends(s)
142 Recognized(s)

Postby bumclouds » 17 Jun 2012, 14:23

bismarck wrote:Context is everything. This is the answers I've gotten from Taiwanese on this question. The rofl smilies indicate I don't believe those answers either.

I know.

The bullshit button was not for you, but for the Taiwanese people who said that.

*face palm*. joke fail.
Forumosan avatar
bumclouds

88 Recommends(s)
53 Recognized(s)

Postby bismarck » 17 Jun 2012, 19:51

bumclouds wrote:
bismarck wrote:Context is everything. This is the answers I've gotten from Taiwanese on this question. The rofl smilies indicate I don't believe those answers either.

I know.

The bullshit button was not for you, but for the Taiwanese people who said that.

*face palm*. joke fail.

Bummer. Sorry mate. :oops:
World Champions 1995, 2007; Tri-Nations champions 1998, 2004, 2009; Grand Slam Champions 1912/13, 1931/32, 1951/52, 1960/61; Defeated British & Irish Lions 1903, 1924, 1938, 1962, 1968, 1980, 2009
Super 14 Champions 2007, 2009, 2010
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Second of all, as in all honeymoons, all is well until it is not. It is until the unexpected happens that you will see all grievances surface -ask anyone in any relationship. The girl can chew with her mouth open, that if you love her, you do not care. If you do not lover her, if her pinkie toe is half an inch deviant, the relationship is doomed. - Icon
Forumosan avatar
bismarck
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

150 Recommends(s)
142 Recognized(s)

Re: Why Do Taiwanese People Stare At Me?

Postby bumclouds » 17 Jun 2012, 21:21

lol, it's okay.

Today on the MRT an old lady was staring daggers at me and my gf, and she kept doing it for our entire journey. My gf was really annoyed by it.

About 90% of the time it happens it's an old lady.

Old people don't like displays of public indecency such as holding hands, and certainly not such extreme acts of indecency as putting ones arm around their partner. Such displays are totally inappropriate in a public setting, and of course, phleming up (kkkkkhh khhhhhh), spitting betel nut or picking the calluses of one's foot are not.
Forumosan avatar
bumclouds

88 Recommends(s)
53 Recognized(s)

Postby kaikai34 » 17 Jun 2012, 22:50

I used to get stared at a lot, especially by the ladies. Not so much anymore. It's probably because I'm old and fat now. Oh, how I long for the good 'ol days.
Forumosan avatar
kaikai34
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

8 Recommends(s)
26 Recognized(s)

Postby PigBloodCake » 17 Jun 2012, 23:05

A simple utterance of these 3 words in Taiwanese will get rid of this problem: 看三小

:popcorn:
Life is a bitch and death is her sister.

I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.
PigBloodCake
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

9 Recommends(s)
27 Recognized(s)

Postby TheGingerMan » 17 Jun 2012, 23:09

Try having a family in tow.....
Ordeal By Gawk.

Though, by now I have the kids trained to shout out haphazard oblique comments regarding obvious facial characteristics, and indeed draw attention to any glaring defects, of anyone that dare give us too much of the stare.
They will indeed blink first.
:evil:
I just wanna be A Good Boy.....
"Turne ye to the strong hold, ye prisoners of hope,
even to day do I declare that I will render double unto thee:"

~~~ZECHARIAH 9:12

"Or fill high hawkfell of my hand,
with skalds reward for skilled word?"

~~~Egill Skallagrimssøn, c.974

"Opinion is underrated since it is too difficult for most and not understood by the rest."
~~~elektronisk
Forumosan avatar
TheGingerMan
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

3 Recommends(s)
187 Recognized(s)

Postby Dr. McCoy » 17 Jun 2012, 23:10

They're just jealous that they don't have earmuffs.
Forumosan avatar
Dr. McCoy
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

146 Recommends(s)
93 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 18 Jun 2012, 00:42

It sucks to be looked at and watched if you are self conscious. But when I was younger, and when i felt a bit down, id go to shimenting and id get a lot of attention (mind you all good attention) . And it would make me feel better cuz id be thinking "FUCK, IM THE BEST ! (throwing modesty out the window) :roflmao:

well may as well take advantage of it.
the driveller - tommy525
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

477 Recommends(s)
316 Recognized(s)

PreviousNext

x

Return to Living in Taiwan