Plain Blue Oil Drums

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Plain Blue Oil Drums

Postby Ducked » 23 Jun 2012, 13:09

Standard (55 gal? ) size. No markings at all, Shiny/freshly painted-looking, stacked 3-deep? (tall load anyway, including over the cab) on big non-articulated trucks.

When I used to cycle to work I often passed one of the trucks at a local farm, with a bunch of heavies standing around, presumably having loaded or about to unload it. Call me parenoid but they looked unfriendly.

Lately I've seen loads going through the local village, dripping as if they've been hosed down.

The last ones had a red band around the middle. Doesn't seem like a positive development.

Anyone know whats in them?

Chemical waste for illegal disposal? Amphetamine base? Tax exempt agricultural diesel? Tractor lubricant? Pig food? Green tea?

Never had a camera when I've seen them.
We reach for the sky. Neither does civilisation.

(Incidentally, if the search button is your friend, you must have some bloody useless, dysfunctional friends)
Forumosan avatar
Ducked
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
9 Recommends(s)
51 Recognized(s)

Re: Plain Blue Oil Drums

Postby Steviebike » 23 Jun 2012, 14:50

Illegal Mahjong games going on inside each barrel. Who knows...
Just checking but you're a South African Engrish Teachur right? No. I'm a Russian nuclear physicist.
Forumosan avatar
Steviebike
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

70 Recommends(s)
80 Recognized(s)

Postby Ducked » 23 Jun 2012, 19:04

Steviebike wrote:Who knows...

That's what I thought I might find out. One down.....

(Incidentally, if the search button is your friend, you must have some bloody useless, dysfunctional friends)
Forumosan avatar
Ducked

ORIGINAL POSTER
9 Recommends(s)
51 Recognized(s)

Postby Wookiee » 23 Jun 2012, 19:45

They collect leftovers and food refuse from restaurants and communities and either feed it to hogs, or compost and fertilize crops with. Nothing surreptitious.
--
......... __ o
.........-\<,
......(O) (O)...........
Forumosan avatar
Wookiee
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

8 Recognized(s)

Postby Ducked » 24 Jun 2012, 11:35

Wookiee wrote:They collect leftovers and food refuse from restaurants and communities and either feed it to hogs, or compost and fertilize crops with. Nothing surreptitious.

Yeh, I thought of that, and it seemed unlikely.

These look to be standard oil drums, as in for liquid, and made of relatively thin sheet steel. They are also shiny, as in new and/or freshly painted.

None of these characteristics are typical of swill-bins, which are typically heavy-duty blue polyethylene with a full diameter screw top.

Forumosan avatar
Ducked

ORIGINAL POSTER
9 Recommends(s)
51 Recognized(s)

Postby Ducked » 03 Aug 2012, 09:52

Apparently like these, which are pictured in an article (which I can't read) in a book about environmental pollution in Taiwan.

upload03_08_2012 012 by ed_lithgow, on Flickr

Forumosan avatar
Ducked

ORIGINAL POSTER
9 Recommends(s)
51 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Living in Taiwan