Cultural ignorance

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Re: Cultural ignorance

Postby urodacus » 26 Jun 2012, 23:33

Hey, Australia also produces iron ore.

Oh, wait: you were talking about NZ.

Sorry.
The prizes are a bottle of f*!@#$% SCOTCH and a box of cheap f!@#$#$ CIGARS!

Too many people! Almost all of the world's problems are due to overpopulation. The rest are due to religion.

50% of the world's wild animals have disappeared in the last 50 years. Did you eat them, or eat their house?
Forumosan avatar
urodacus
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

226 Recommends(s)
279 Recognized(s)

Postby Impaler » 28 Jun 2012, 10:28

the bear wrote:You know what really grinds my gears? I'm from Kiwiland and every time I tell a Taiwanese person that the next time they chat to me without fail they'll start the conversation with "So in Australia do you guys....". And then I tell them I'm from NZ and there's a slight pause while their little brain noggins try and deal with the fact that NZ is not actually part of Australia despite the fact that the collective wisdom of Taiwan holds the opposite to be true. Of course its a common mistake all round the world but the really weird thing is that Taiwanese are so consistent in this belief I'm beginning to think its in their textbooks at school: "New Zealand is a small island that is a part of Australia. It is famous for inventing the kiwifruit, for Lord of the Rings and for kangaroos."

And also, among foodies, for being the sole source for broiled kakapo. Those birds are fantastic.
It's amazing what getting out of the care of the Scottish National Health Service can do for your life expectancy.

"Mostly, nature looks after itself, if you let it. If you arrange things correctly, nature will do all the hard work for you, but it takes a lot of careful thought, planning, attention to detail, and a little experimentation. In other words, we're all doomed." -- finley
Forumosan avatar
Impaler
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

2 Recommends(s)
38 Recognized(s)

Postby bababa » 30 Jun 2012, 06:20

I met a lot of Taiwanese people who were willing to spend an hour discussing this or that political issue, some country's economy, some artistic masterpiece, etc. The problem was that they invariably knew nothing about the topic! If they just weren't interested in world politics or whatever, and wanted to change the subject and discuss sports, that would have been fine with me. Instead I would get an hour of bullshit about the problems in Palestine, then followed by the question "Are Pakistan and Palestine the same place?" I know a Taiwanese woman who went trekking in Nepal, and did not realize until she got there that her usual dress shoes she would wear in Taipei wouldn't be good enough.
bababa
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)

21 Recommends(s)
9 Recognized(s)

Postby psidriven » 30 Jun 2012, 06:54

Confuzius wrote:Maybe if their country produced something besides sheep and fruit people would actually consider them a real country.

The mighty All Blacks. Done son!

My :2cents:

The average person from (name your country) doesn't know squat about world events. Its human nature for most people to only care about what has a direct impact on their lives. While I'm interested in world events, I can't possibly follow and know everything about everything. I know what I have an interest in or what my friends are talking about. So I know a lot about cars, reefs, world jazz, food, stuff that pops up on Google News World and nothing about Jersey Shore or the latest Taiwan star dating triangle.
psidriven
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby Charlie Jack » 30 Jun 2012, 12:13

Confuzius wrote:
Taiwan_Student wrote:Hey Kiwis don't blame the Taiwanese, blame the book publishers...

Still to this day... New Zealand is always part of this phrase... "Austrailia and New Zealand" in my head.

That's how it was presented in Almanacs, Geography Books and Atlases.

Maybe if their country produced something besides sheep and fruit people would actually consider them a real country.

They produced a most extraordinary mind.

Ernest Rutherford . . . was a New Zealand chemist and physicist who became known as the father of nuclear physics.
--"Ernest Rutherford," Wikipedia

Looks like a royal flush. It seems to me they could just cash in their chips after that one.
Charlie Jack
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

1267 Recommends(s)
217 Recognized(s)

Postby steelersman » 30 Jun 2012, 17:49

psidriven wrote:
Confuzius wrote:Maybe if their country produced something besides sheep and fruit people would actually consider them a real country.

The average person from (name your country) doesn't know squat about world events. Its human nature for most people to only care about what has a direct impact on their lives. While I'm interested in world events, I can't possibly follow and know everything about everything. I know what I have an interest in or what my friends are talking about. So I know a lot about cars, reefs, world jazz, food, stuff that pops up on Google News World and nothing about Jersey Shore or the latest Taiwan star dating triangle.

There is too much going on in life to know everything that is going on in the world. Most people have a job, kids, and hobbies. Plus they should exercise and meet family. There is limited time left for knowing everything that is going on around the world.
steelersman
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

10 Recommends(s)
24 Recognized(s)

Postby E04teacherlin » 30 Jun 2012, 18:25

And there is so much to eat hence our love for food.
E04teacherlin
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

85 Recommends(s)
50 Recognized(s)

Postby bumclouds » 30 Jun 2012, 19:20

There is a point where too much talk about food is too much.
Your warning level: [4]
Forumosan avatar
bumclouds
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

ORIGINAL POSTER
102 Recommends(s)
89 Recognized(s)

Postby E04teacherlin » 30 Jun 2012, 22:35

bumclouds wrote:There is a point where too much talk about food is too much.

No-one said talk about it. You should eat it, and since it is considered rude by western cultures to speak with food in your mouth, we have nothing to talk about or actually no time to engage in meaningful conversation.
E04teacherlin

85 Recommends(s)
50 Recognized(s)

Postby Confuzius » 01 Jul 2012, 00:18

psidriven wrote:

Who, what? Is that like the Black Panthers or something? I really have no idea what you are talking about.

Charlie Jack wrote:They produced a most extraordinary mind.

You mean the movie? I thought it was a "beautiful" mind, hmmmm.

But seriously, isn't NZ just a state of Oz like NM (New Mexico) is a state of the US? So are the natives (like the Kiwi Aussies on this thread) kinda like those militant Texans who want to succeed from the union and have an ACTUAL country of their own? :ponder:
"Knowledge alone is transitory, the outcrop subsequent to 'I desire all things'". - A. O. Spare
Confuzius
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

113 Recommends(s)
76 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Living in Taiwan