Van goes over EW highway - 2 dead

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Van goes over EW highway - 2 dead

Postby tommy525 » 08 Jul 2012, 11:14

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=en ... u1bv8&NR=1

2 year old boy critical , parents died after van goes over the side on EW highway. Be careful on those mountain roads.
the driveller - tommy525
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
477 Recommends(s)
316 Recognized(s)

Re: Van goes over EW highway - 2 dead

Postby E04teacherlin » 08 Jul 2012, 14:35

Did the guy really fall asleep or should we consider speeding. Or both. Or drunk driving. or what. Listening to news reports are not always an accurate indication of what happened. You have a kid and a wife in the car, concentrate!
E04teacherlin
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

80 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)

Postby Confuzius » 08 Jul 2012, 14:43

E04teacherlin wrote:Did the guy really fall asleep or should we consider speeding. Or both. Or drunk driving. or what. Listening to news reports are not always an accurate indication of what happened. You have a kid and a wife in the car, concentrate!

Yah, I don't buy the falling asleep at the wheel for a few reasons:

1. Wouldn't wifey have noticed?
2. He fell asleep at a pretty bad time, he was driving fine until the curve came around.

I bet he simply wasn't paying attention, you watch the video and he is driving fine, in his lane, then keeps going straight, like he was looking for his pack of smokes, changing the radio station or playing angry birds at the exact wrong time (that being while driving!)
"Knowledge alone is transitory, the outcrop subsequent to 'I desire all things'". - A. O. Spare
Confuzius
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

113 Recommends(s)
76 Recognized(s)

Postby AmoyMama » 08 Jul 2012, 14:53

That is truly terrible. Poor little baby. :(

Falling asleep at the wheel is certainly possible--you only have to doze off for a split second for a tragedy to occur, especially on a winding mountain road. And no, his wife may not have noticed--she may have been looking out the window, distracted by the child, asleep herself, etc.
AmoyMama
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

12 Recommends(s)
14 Recognized(s)

Postby Omniloquacious » 08 Jul 2012, 15:33

AmoyMama wrote:Falling asleep at the wheel is certainly possible--you only have to doze off for a split second for a tragedy to occur ...

Yes, indeed. My dad fell asleep at the wheel of his car while driving home from the airport after a long flight. He was cruising fast and his car swerved into a head-on collision with an oncoming vehicle. His Rover 2000 was a write-off, but luckily neither he nor my mum were badly injured. I saw his car after the accident, and the windscreen where his head hit it was as concave as a pregnant woman's belly. It was hard to believe that he didn't suffer any head injuries or even concussion, just cuts and bruising on his forehead and a couple of broken ribs. The fellow in the other vehicle was less fortunate, suffering severe injuries. My dad pleaded guilty to dangerous driving, and was deeply ashamed of it as the only blemish on his otherwise perfect 40-year driving record.

I've always kept that in mind and been extra careful about driving when I'm tired.
If I prioritized the acquisition of wealth above other purposes in life, I might still have come to Taiwan to study Chinese, but I doubt I would have remained here.
寸金難買寸光陰
Forumosan avatar
Omniloquacious
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

62 Recommends(s)
183 Recognized(s)

Postby E04teacherlin » 08 Jul 2012, 17:22

Omniloquacious wrote:
AmoyMama wrote:Falling asleep at the wheel is certainly possible--you only have to doze off for a split second for a tragedy to occur ...

Yes, indeed. My dad fell asleep at the wheel of his car while driving home from the airport after a long flight. He was cruising fast and his car swerved into a head-on collision with an oncoming vehicle. His Rover 2000 was a write-off, but luckily neither he nor my mum were badly injured. I saw his car after the accident, and the windscreen where his head hit it was as concave as a pregnant woman's belly. It was hard to believe that he didn't suffer any head injuries or even concussion, just cuts and bruising on his forehead and a couple of broken ribs. The fellow in the other vehicle was less fortunate, suffering severe injuries. My dad pleaded guilty to dangerous driving, and was deeply ashamed of it as the only blemish on his otherwise perfect 40-year driving record.

I've always kept that in mind and been extra careful about driving when I'm tired.

Great point.
Better point would be if you had a 2 year old who called you daddy and you had responsibilities, NEVER drive tired.
E04teacherlin

80 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)

Postby asiababy » 08 Jul 2012, 22:44

My mother dozed off at the wheel when driving the mountain roads in NZ. I was next to her and happened to notice, right before we hit a bridge. Luckily, I was able to yell at her in time and she braked enough we only grazed it, rather than what would have happened if I had turned my head a second or so later. We are all just a split second away from tragedy more often than we care to think about.
Family-friendly events and destinations Taiwan-wide. http://kidzone-tw.blogspot.com/
Looking for like-minded parents, a friendly space to take your kids, and classes for English-speaking children? http://www.parentsplace.com.tw
asiababy
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

2 Recommends(s)
45 Recognized(s)

Postby nemesis » 08 Jul 2012, 23:08

Our brakes decided to die while we were driving down a mountain (c/w terrifying hairpin turns) about three months ago. Luckily, my hubby was driving, and managed to shift down and pull the emergency brake to slow down, then ran into a power pole before plunging to our deaths over the next turn. I wouldn't have known to do that, so am soooo glad he was driving! We got to ride home in our car on top of a tow truck doing hairpin turns at night in the fog. Highly unrecommended. For these people, it may have been a problem with the brakes or steering, too, rather than the driver.
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. - Mahatma Gandhi
Forumosan avatar
nemesis

11 Recommends(s)
4 Recognized(s)

Postby fh2000 » 09 Jul 2012, 10:01

Many a time, when I felt sleepy, I would try to sing, pinch, yell out loud, open the window let the cool air in, etc. None would work. I found that the only thing that has slight effect is to chew gum. Drink a lot of coffee helps too, not because of the caffeine, but this forces me to stop often to find bathrooms.
fh2000
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

7 Recognized(s)

x

Return to Living in Taiwan