(Theory) Why Some Foreigners Never Leave Taiwan...

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Re: (Theory) Why Some Foreigners Never Leave Taiwan...

Postby asian boy » 26 Jul 2012, 13:41

Muzha Man wrote:Excellent post my friend.

Especially part 2.
Forumosan avatar
asian boy
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

1 Recommends(s)
4 Recognized(s)

(Theory) Why Some Foreigners Never Leave Taiwan...

Postby headhonchoII » 26 Jul 2012, 14:00

Taiwan is probably easier than ever to live in, but it seems to be getting harder to make a crust. That goes for most people in most places these days. The great global leveling is coming into play.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1476 Recommends(s)
553 Recognized(s)

Postby Omniloquacious » 26 Jul 2012, 21:37

Muzha Man wrote:Excellent post my friend.

Thank you, old chap.

Your appreciation is appreciated.
If I prioritized the acquisition of wealth above other purposes in life, I might still have come to Taiwan to study Chinese, but I doubt I would have remained here.
寸金難買寸光陰
Forumosan avatar
Omniloquacious
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

63 Recommends(s)
188 Recognized(s)

Postby almas john » 26 Jul 2012, 21:50

Omni, My dear fellow, your posts are a tonic, always a pleasure to read for both content and the beauty of the prose, a balm for modern times, your posts – though progressive in sentiment – are written in the lyrical metre of a bygone age. Beautiful sentence after beautiful sentence wash over us, and we are left defenseless.
almas john
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)

21 Recommends(s)
58 Recognized(s)

Postby wonder » 26 Jul 2012, 22:37

shawn_c wrote: People look up to him, people want to chat with him, girls want him... because he is now special, has a special skill, and is exotic. (He's also a teacher in a culture where teachers are given great respect.)

I have been teaching here for a number of years and I have never had the feeling of being respected by my students...certainly not by the children. I feel the opposite is true: the students figure it's playtime and screw around the white foreign teacher as much as possible until the TW TA comes around and then they fall silent.

Respect? That's a good one. :roflmao:
"Close up I am big but far away I'm small and hardly here at all."
Ray Davies from The Kinks
wonder
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

4 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 26 Jul 2012, 23:39

Thats because the TW TA is fully capable of shouting at and hitting the kids and the kids know that. Fear of the stick.

And yes Omni's posts are well thought out and make a lot of sense and of course are well written in proper english. And that being so (the proper english) he is sometimes hard to understand by the younger generation who use different vernacular, sentence construction (where there is any) :lol: and verbage.
CATS ROCK !
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

522 Recommends(s)
338 Recognized(s)

Postby TheGingerMan » 27 Jul 2012, 00:10

wonder wrote:
I have been teaching here for a number of years and I have never had the feeling of being respected by my students...certainly not by the children. I feel the opposite is true: the students figure it's playtime and screw around the white foreign teacher as much as possible until the TW TA comes around and then they fall silent.

Respect? That's a good one. :roflmao:

Whose fault is that?
Respect is earned, not given.
"Turne ye to the strong hold, ye prisoners of hope,
even to day do I declare that I will render double unto thee:"

~~~ZECHARIAH 9:12

"Or fill high hawkfell of my hand,
with skalds reward for skilled word?"

~~~Egill Skallagrimssøn, c.974

"Opinion is underrated since it is too difficult for most and not understood by the rest."
~~~elektronisk
Forumosan avatar
TheGingerMan
Bureaucrat of the Underworld (cóng dìyù lái de guānliáo)
Bureaucrat of the Underworld (cóng dìyù lái de guānliáo)

3 Recommends(s)
211 Recognized(s)

Postby jason88888 » 27 Jul 2012, 00:52

Omni,

Thanks for the detailed post. You said you think the sentiment towards foreigners has maybe become less positive than in the past, any idea why? Thanks
jason88888
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby Omniloquacious » 27 Jul 2012, 07:41

jason88888 wrote: You said you think the sentiment towards foreigners has maybe become less positive than in the past, any idea why? Thanks

There are more of us here, and familiarity breeds contempt. Or at least it tends to knock the stars out of people’s eyes. Also, far more Taiwanese have lived and traveled overseas, have seen plenty of the ugly side of Westerners and their societies, and are much less likely to blindly worship any and every Johnny Foreigner who finds his way to Taiwan.

Then, of course, there’s Apple Daily, TVBS, and their like. They have a big influence in shaping the views and catering to the prejudices of the not-so-well-able-to-think-for-themselves masses, and they do so love digging up the dirt on foreigners in Taiwan. They’ll seize upon and make headlines of any kind of misbehaviour by a foreigner that they can get wind of. No matter how trivial or otherwise the foreigner’s infractions may be, it’s all good fodder for their reporters, editors and producers. They’ll exaggerate and distort in whatever way is necessary to enhance its value to them, and they’ll even make it up from scratch on a slow news day when they need something to catch the attention of their audience.

In this age of the ubiquitous camera and the Internet, where you’re hardly ever out of shooting distance of someone with at least a cellphone camera at the ready, it’s much harder than before for a foreigner to be naughty in public without it being recorded and put on display for all to see. And once the incriminating pictures or video are put up on YouTube or a blog, as they almost always will be, the bigger news organs will soon be able to sniff them out and make of them what they will.

These things add up, and the public’s general impression of the kinds of foreigners coming here is inevitably affected by it.

There are probably other causes too, but these are the ones that immediately spring to mind.
If I prioritized the acquisition of wealth above other purposes in life, I might still have come to Taiwan to study Chinese, but I doubt I would have remained here.
寸金難買寸光陰
Forumosan avatar
Omniloquacious

63 Recommends(s)
188 Recognized(s)

Previous

x

Return to Living in Taiwan