Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Is it annoying when someone assumes that you only speak English?

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Postby hansioux » 28 Jul 2012, 16:25

Hi, I am new to Forumosa. I'm a Taiwanese American who moved back to Taiwan since 2007. I speak fluent English and Mandarin, but since I can pass for a Taiwanese guy who has never left the island, I know of no one who speaks English fluently also (outside of school and work that is). Lately, I can hear the Taiwanese accent rubbing off on me. So sometimes I get the urge to talk to someone in English about non-work related stuff.

Sometimes, when I see someone who doesn't look Taiwanese, I would want to go talk with them. Cause when I was living in El Paso, Texas and someone from Taiwan came over and talked to me in Mandarin or Taiwanese, I would get a kick out of it. Now, so far I haven't tried. Usually when someone needs direction or help in English and comes up to me then I am glad to help, but I haven't just went up to someone and try to make conversation in English. I mean, would it be weird or impolite to do so?
Don't confuse me with your reasonableness.
Forumosan avatar
hansioux
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

ORIGINAL POSTER
455 Recommends(s)
517 Recognized(s)

Re: Is it annoying when someone assumes that you only speak English?

Postby Kobayashi » 28 Jul 2012, 16:36

You can't really compare speaking Chinese in El Paso to speaking English in Taiwan.

Personally I get people trying, in some way, to practice their English for free with me every day. It gets annoying.
Kobayashi
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 28 Jul 2012, 17:34

I find it's okay as long as the person can hold a conversation and not ask boring repetitive questions.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1624 Recommends(s)
593 Recognized(s)

Postby hansioux » 28 Jul 2012, 18:04

Kobayashi wrote:You can't really compare speaking Chinese in El Paso to speaking English in Taiwan.

Personally I get people trying, in some way, to practice their English for free with me every day. It gets annoying.

Yeah, that's what I thought. At work my co-workers know that I speak English, and I think sometimes they want to practice their English with me, but I have a hard time switching to speaking English with them... I have no idea why it feels so odd to speak English to them...
Forumosan avatar
hansioux

ORIGINAL POSTER
455 Recommends(s)
517 Recognized(s)

Postby Petrichor » 29 Jul 2012, 14:54

I think you do run the risk of speaking to someone who's lived here for many years and is tired of Taiwanese people speaking to them just in order to practise their English. So if I were you I'd only pick people who look like tourists or recent arrivals. Or better still, why not seek a language exchange partner? That way you both get something out of it.
Use what talents you possess: The woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best.

http://talesfromthebeautifulisle.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Petrichor
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

83 Recommends(s)
85 Recognized(s)

Postby TheGingerMan » 29 Jul 2012, 15:13

Why not just go up and talk to someone at a bar, and start shooting the breeze? I've met some Taiwanese Americans, and Taiwanese Euros, in just that fashion, and have always been interested to hear about their experiences.
"Turne ye to the strong hold, ye prisoners of hope,
even to day do I declare that I will render double unto thee:"

~~~ZECHARIAH 9:12

"Or fill high hawkfell of my hand,
with skalds reward for skilled word?"

~~~Egill Skallagrimssøn, c.974

"Opinion is underrated since it is too difficult for most and not understood by the rest."
~~~elektronisk
Forumosan avatar
TheGingerMan
Bureaucrat of the Underworld (cóng dìyù lái de guānliáo)
Bureaucrat of the Underworld (cóng dìyù lái de guānliáo)

4 Recommends(s)
226 Recognized(s)

Postby archylgp » 29 Jul 2012, 15:14

headhonchoII wrote:I find it's okay as long as the person can hold a conversation and not ask boring repetitive questions.

Yeah -- If you speak English fluently and have something interesting to say, I don't think it will be considered rude...
archylgp
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

150 Recommends(s)
30 Recognized(s)

Postby Chris » 29 Jul 2012, 20:26

I don't find it annoying when people here assume I only speak English. After all, it's a logical conclusion to draw.
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

85 Recommends(s)
182 Recognized(s)

Postby hansioux » 30 Jul 2012, 10:02

TheGingerMan wrote:Why not just go up and talk to someone at a bar, and start shooting the breeze? I've met some Taiwanese Americans, and Taiwanese Euros, in just that fashion, and have always been interested to hear about their experiences.

I am in the Hsinchu area, and frankly don't know many places where i can do that. Got any suggestions? I know Taipei is filled with places like that.
Forumosan avatar
hansioux

ORIGINAL POSTER
455 Recommends(s)
517 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 30 Jul 2012, 17:44

I think it is difficult just to approach strangers and say hi Maybe I am shy or something, even if you are also a foreigner myself. We've got a couple of foreigners around the block, and I have hardly said hello. Recently, I heard them speaking together, they're French, and that's all I know. I'v tried sometimes to greet the newbies in the hood -seems there are more and more these days- and still it is not easy.

In the new, fancy high rise in the hood, I've seen a foreign Mom sending her kid to school every day. I'd love to say hi, she looks a bit Latina, but I also have the same ehem-ehem apprehension. I gues sit is easier as the guys say here if you are in an already social situation -a bar :lol: - or language exchange.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

657 Recommends(s)
532 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Living in Taiwan