Bringing a Bank Draft a good idea?

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Bringing a Bank Draft a good idea?

Postby imalibra » 31 Jul 2012, 05:00

Hi guys,

I'm from Canada and will soon move to Taiwan to study. As I won't be making any income, I'll have to bring most of my savings to Taiwan with me when I arrive.
I wouldn't want to bring all those CASH with me, I heard Bank Draft is a good idea to bringing a few thousand dollars to Taiwan?

Which would save me more money on transaction fees/exchange rates: bank draft in CAD or bank draft in NTD? I heard only a few banks would do CAD-NTD exchanges, is that true?

Thanks!
-Katie
imalibra
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Bringing a Bank Draft a good idea?

Postby Impaler » 31 Jul 2012, 06:15

What is your native language?

Bring USD. Hundreds, new, not damaged.
It's amazing what getting out of the care of the Scottish National Health Service can do for your life expectancy.

"Mostly, nature looks after itself, if you let it. If you arrange things correctly, nature will do all the hard work for you, but it takes a lot of careful thought, planning, attention to detail, and a little experimentation. In other words, we're all doomed." -- finley
Forumosan avatar
Impaler
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

2 Recommends(s)
38 Recognized(s)

Postby Abacus » 31 Jul 2012, 08:28

ATM fees might add up but they aren't that bad depending on what bank you use.
Abacus
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

124 Recommends(s)
132 Recognized(s)

Postby StefanMuc » 31 Jul 2012, 16:27

I think you could use Citibank. I used to have an account with them,and at the time there were no fees to withdraw money from ATMs pretty much anywhere in the world, plus the exchange rates were good, too. They only have a few locations in Taiwan though, so whether that makes sense will depend on where you actually go.
StefanMuc
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

3 Recommends(s)
3 Recognized(s)

Postby 2Enigma » 01 Aug 2012, 20:48

I tried the bank draft, Certified Bank Check. 30 day wait to clear. It even happened one time at Bank of Hsinchu in Houkou for a 100 dollar travelers check. Just transfer. So much easier. Dont forget that $10,000 is the max you can take out of U.S. - that includes the dollar bills and pocket change that happens to be in the pockets. Result - arrest and questioned for about 2 hours.
I had a student travelling for MA in U.S. She is about 30 years old with a possesive mother. I had gone over this monetary thing 5 times with her but mom knows better and insists on holding all the money. Properly declared that mom was holding about 18,000 U.S., 1/2 of which was her daughters. Result? Both arrested, ushered to a questioning room and grilled for 2 hours. Finally released but missed the connecting fligh, spent an extra night in L.A., motel and food expense and non-refunadble ticket on their unused connecting flight! I tell that story because, students going to U.S. need to listen up. Moms too. (That one was beyond hope!)
Keep ye company with those who seek truth and run from those who have found it.
Edited from Václav Havel

"Once, while lost in the wilds of Afghanistan, I lost my corkscrew and was forced to live on nothing but bread and water for several days." W.C. Fields
2Enigma
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

38 Recommends(s)
19 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 13 Sep 1991

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Moving to Taiwan