Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Do business with family/ friends - and getting ripped off!

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Re: Do business with family/ friends - and getting ripped off!

Postby Isha » 20 Aug 2012, 12:34

headhonchoII wrote:
Who do you think works hard to earn the money in the first place?

You could never be sure about that.
Isha
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

22 Recommends(s)
7 Recognized(s)

Postby Blaquesmith » 20 Aug 2012, 14:57

Isha wrote:I would never understand why some foreigners get married to locals to become their in-laws' permanent house guest and then crib about their habits and their pet and their friends and family. They need get a life and get out, have their own house and run it as they wish.

Probably not by choice, but for a certain set of circumstances. And hopefully, it won't be permanent, but a temporary arrangement.
"Roda el món i torna al Born!" - famous saying from Barcelona.
Forumosan avatar
Blaquesmith
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

20 Recommends(s)
104 Recognized(s)

Postby Elegua » 20 Aug 2012, 15:06

headhonchoII wrote:KTVs in China, would not have gone for that myself sounds like a nightmare :).

I initially considered money pissed in the wind.
Pleasant it is, when over a great sea the winds trouble the waters, to gaze from shore upon another's great tribulation

"Lord, we ain't what we oughta be. We ain't what we want to be. We ain't what we gonna be. But, thank God, we ain't what we was."
Forumosan avatar
Elegua
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

13 Recommends(s)
61 Recognized(s)

Postby Puppet » 20 Aug 2012, 21:22

Isha wrote: If you are worried about your loans not being paid off because you keep lending money to family members, you need to re-think about what is more important.

Conversely, if one thinks enabling someone to keep making stupid mistakes is helping them get better, they need to think about what help actually is. ;-)
Forumosan avatar
Puppet

60 Recommends(s)
31 Recognized(s)

Postby Kiwi » 22 Aug 2012, 00:04

One of my worst mistakes was investing in a bar with a 'friend'. The result was that I lost the lot. This was in Shanghai, not Taiwan. We had a falling out over his complete mismanagement of the place (bad alcoholism, hostility when asked to provide the most rudimentary records, sacked from his other job over honesty issues, etc.). My 'friend' then threatened to steal my interest in the business if I didn't get off his case. Stealing was what he then did.

Bad business all round. So yes. Be bloody careful going into business with friends. Due to the guy being a friend I'd known for years I didn't subject the whole thing to the level of scrutiny I should have done. The sum involved was kind of play money, and I was hoping to learn something about the bar business. Expensive lesson though, and while I wrote it off in my head as 'play money' right at the start, it was more than I was really happy losing.

One of the guys involved (not my friend) used to run bars in Taipei. These days he is over in Shanghai though - getting constantly smashed despite his cirrotic liver and constantly on the look out for more 'investors' dumb enough to work with him.
Kiwi
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

9 Recognized(s)

Postby bismarck » 22 Aug 2012, 13:59

Never a borrower or lender be. :2cents:

Then again, what the gf/wife does is sometimes hard to control as the family likely guilt her into it.
World Champions 1995, 2007; Tri-Nations champions 1998, 2004, 2009; Grand Slam Champions 1912/13, 1931/32, 1951/52, 1960/61; Defeated British & Irish Lions 1903, 1924, 1938, 1962, 1968, 1980, 2009
Super 14 Champions 2007, 2009, 2010
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Second of all, as in all honeymoons, all is well until it is not. It is until the unexpected happens that you will see all grievances surface -ask anyone in any relationship. The girl can chew with her mouth open, that if you love her, you do not care. If you do not lover her, if her pinkie toe is half an inch deviant, the relationship is doomed. - Icon
Forumosan avatar
bismarck
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

150 Recommends(s)
143 Recognized(s)

Postby wonder » 02 Sep 2012, 20:43

My girlfriend constantly lends money to her friends and relatives and is always getting ripped off. I think it is because of her huge heart and of course being guilted into it.

She has recently been keeping her sister and American boyfriend afloat because the boy is an out of work English teacher of all things. I guess he is married to a TW citizen so he does not need work to stay in TW but talk about no bloody backbone. I have never met the guy but if I did I would guilt him into getting a job.

Anyway, her sister's demands were getting fairly consistent and my gf was lending them NT$30,000 every other week for a while. They once both came to our town unannouced and called my gf out of the blue saying "hi we are here and we need more money."

So what does my gf do? She went and met them and gave them more money.

She kept on complaining to me about it until I finally told her that if she continued to kepe them afloat they would always put off getting a job. They have a child for god's sake!

So one day my gf is at my house and the moment after we had great sex, she starts complaining about having to give her sister money all the time. I couldn't believe she would ruin the afterglow by complaining about that. We get along extremely well but I finally told her that I don't want to hear about it anymore. She knows what she is doing is wrong and they will never support themselves if she continues but I guess she feels obligated.

It got so bad that my gf had to work two jobs just to lend her sister money. :loco: We don't live together and are not even close to that so she will have to learn this lesson herself.

I haven't asked her about it lately so I really don't know what is going on there. I know the sister is not a bad person so I really think her sister is just desperate for money to support the child and because her layabout wangguoren is pathetic not to at least get a part time job to support his wife and child.

Have you ever heard of anything so sad?
"Close up I am big but far away I'm small and hardly here at all."
Ray Davies from The Kinks
wonder

6 Recognized(s)

Postby dasmania » 02 Sep 2012, 21:12

Bush being re-elected is pretty close
I used to think I was wasting my time teaching in Taiwan...after 6 months of unemployment back home I realized what wasting time truly is. Enjoy the moment.
dasmania
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

1 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Postby bismarck » 03 Sep 2012, 12:04

wonder wrote:My girlfriend constantly lends money to her friends and relatives and is always getting ripped off. I think it is because of her huge heart and of course being guilted into it.

She has recently been keeping her sister and American boyfriend afloat because the boy is an out of work English teacher of all things. I guess he is married to a TW citizen so he does not need work to stay in TW but talk about no bloody backbone. I have never met the guy but if I did I would guilt him into getting a job.

Anyway, her sister's demands were getting fairly consistent and my gf was lending them NT$30,000 every other week for a while. They once both came to our town unannouced and called my gf out of the blue saying "hi we are here and we need more money."

So what does my gf do? She went and met them and gave them more money.

She kept on complaining to me about it until I finally told her that if she continued to kepe them afloat they would always put off getting a job. They have a child for god's sake!

So one day my gf is at my house and the moment after we had great sex, she starts complaining about having to give her sister money all the time. I couldn't believe she would ruin the afterglow by complaining about that. We get along extremely well but I finally told her that I don't want to hear about it anymore. She knows what she is doing is wrong and they will never support themselves if she continues but I guess she feels obligated.

It got so bad that my gf had to work two jobs just to lend her sister money. :loco: We don't live together and are not even close to that so she will have to learn this lesson herself.

I haven't asked her about it lately so I really don't know what is going on there. I know the sister is not a bad person so I really think her sister is just desperate for money to support the child and because her layabout wangguoren is pathetic not to at least get a part time job to support his wife and child.

Have you ever heard of anything so sad?

Knew of a similar situation in Tainan a few years back. Not sure how that worked out in the end, though. Pretty bleak, and I imagine your gf will continue forking out the cash as long as they keep asking. Maybe she should try telling them she's moved in with you and quit her job to take a break and you're looking after her now. :idunno:
World Champions 1995, 2007; Tri-Nations champions 1998, 2004, 2009; Grand Slam Champions 1912/13, 1931/32, 1951/52, 1960/61; Defeated British & Irish Lions 1903, 1924, 1938, 1962, 1968, 1980, 2009
Super 14 Champions 2007, 2009, 2010
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Second of all, as in all honeymoons, all is well until it is not. It is until the unexpected happens that you will see all grievances surface -ask anyone in any relationship. The girl can chew with her mouth open, that if you love her, you do not care. If you do not lover her, if her pinkie toe is half an inch deviant, the relationship is doomed. - Icon
Forumosan avatar
bismarck
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

150 Recommends(s)
143 Recognized(s)

Postby 2Enigma » 05 Sep 2012, 09:09

First rule is NEVER do busines with family or friends.
Second rule is re-read rule number one.
Keep ye company with those who seek truth and run from those who have found it.
Edited from Václav Havel

"Once, while lost in the wilds of Afghanistan, I lost my corkscrew and was forced to live on nothing but bread and water for several days." W.C. Fields
2Enigma
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

38 Recommends(s)
19 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Living in Taiwan