How do you respond to staring and pointing?

Moderators: Tempo Gain, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

What's the proper response to staring and pointing?

Ignore them
46%
Stare and point back
21%
Leave
2%
Scream and throw things
1%
Give 'em the middle finger
2%
Do your best Jim Carrey impression
8%
Sing the FORUMOSA.COM theme song and strip
6%
Hand out business cards and shake hands with everyone
14%

Total votes : 100

How do you respond to staring and pointing?

Postby quinntheeskimo » 10 Sep 2003, 10:47

There you are, a group of Taiwanese are staring and pointing at you, and you're not even drunk yet. What do you do? Your ideas are certainly welcome...
quinntheeskimo

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby WarMonkey » 10 Sep 2003, 11:00

Actually, it's not too bad here in Taiwan. It's much worse in Korea and China.
Forumosan avatar
WarMonkey
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

Postby ironlady » 10 Sep 2003, 11:01

I like the business card idea, though...maybe I should have some "special" ones printed up for this purpose. :twisted:
Terry Waltz, Ph.D
Click here to Finally Learn Mandarin!
Squid for Brains Learning Games -- not your nainai's flash cards!
...although his father beat him every day, wishing him to learn the speech of Ts'e, it will be impossible for him [at least using current methods]...-Mencius
Forumosan avatar
ironlady
Goddess of Fornication & Prostitutes (tōngjiān hé jìnǚ de nǚshén)

Location: A place where people can't sleep or teach English in McDonald's
87 Recommends(s)
320 Recognized(s)

nut'n new

Postby way2go! » 10 Sep 2003, 11:09

quinntheeskimo wrote:There you are, a group of Taiwanese are staring and pointing at you, and you're not even drunk yet. What do you do? Your ideas are certainly welcome...

Fascinating observation. I never noticed that before. NOT.

The question above from quinntheeskimo must be the type of post that wolf referred to:
wolf_reinhold wrote:New people do bring fresh insights, but frankly, they are nothing new to me. This may sound vain, but think of it like you have spent 18 years in your home country and some Chinese person comes for the first time. What keen insight is he likely to give you that you don't already know?

Ask those people you know, if you know any, who have lived here say 15 years or more, 'How often does someone tell you something that makes you say, 'Wow, I never knew that' or 'That's a facinating observation; I never thought of that before.''
...and cynical? Me? I am SHOCKED! :roll:

Find a job you love and you will never work another day in your life.
Forumosan avatar
way2go!
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

Postby Bassman » 10 Sep 2003, 11:11

I am perplexed, my answer to the poll would involve many of the options, depending on my mood. Of course now that I am a school boss I need to be polite but if I find myself in another city or town I am less careful about what other people think of me.
Forumosan avatar
Bassman
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

3 Recognized(s)

Postby Alien » 10 Sep 2003, 11:34

None of the above. It's not my finest hour!
But I've seen others who'd put me to shame. Oh man!

What I can't stand is that parents seem to think it's perfectly ok and smile at how adorable their kids are for having noticed the monkey.
Alien
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby Tigerman » 10 Sep 2003, 11:38

Alien wrote:What I can't stand is that parents seem to think it's perfectly ok and smile at how adorable their kids are for having noticed the monkey.

I don't like being stared at... but, unfortunately, it comes with the territory...

If I'm in a bad mood, I usually say something to indicate my annoyance... then, when the parents apologize for their children, I inform them that I blame the parents, not the kids.

The reactions are priceless :twisted:
Tigerman
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

261 Recommends(s)
195 Recognized(s)

Postby way2go! » 10 Sep 2003, 11:42

This is all deja moo. We've all heard this bull before.
Find a job you love and you will never work another day in your life.
Forumosan avatar
way2go!
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

Postby Beachside Queenslander » 10 Sep 2003, 11:54

I'm with Tigerman.

If the parents can be engaged in conversation then I usually tell them
It is true that of the ten most poisonous arachnids on the planet, Australia has nine of them. Actually, it would be more accurate to say that of the nine most poisonous arachnids, Australia has all of them.
Beachside Queenslander

Postby Flicka » 10 Sep 2003, 12:07

I give them my best f--- you look. Staring and pointing does not become Taiwan's grandiose, international aspirations.
I settled for my safety school.
Forumosan avatar
Flicka
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

1 Recommends(s)
6 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Living in Taiwan