Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Broke student needs advice :(

Moderator: Tempo Gain

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Re: Broke student needs advice :(

Postby Horcsog » 30 May 2015, 12:43

sewersquid wrote:I cut grass (with lawnmower) for a local football field in Wanhua for a menial 400 per week (could be 800 if you could do it alone for a football field)
Some students doing part-time job becoming a lab assistant for their professor
If you in NTU, you could go to the OIA and ask for job at the Global Lounge
Handling brochures could land you 100 per hour
You could tutor your course (in English, as some engineering school have exams in English) to some undergraduate students

Of course these jobs only available if you know the person who have the opportunity in the first place. Usually locals, or OIA officers.

Again, why would you mess around with brochures and landmowing when you could teach English in buxibans for 500NT/hour?
Horcsog
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

In Taiwan since: 23 Aug 2013

Postby Charlie Jack » 30 May 2015, 14:33

Disclaimer: I don't feel qualified to interpret the document excerpts quoted below; I'm merely posting them in case anyone can get any use out of them. Nothing in this post is meant to gainsay in any way what sewersquid wrote, or what anyone wrote, for that matter. I don't know anything firsthand about the actual, practical particulars of getting a job as a student here. I'm just posting some stuff that I found on the Internet.

This appears to be an English translation of a regulation pertaining to the granting of student work permits, from a document on the Ministry of Labor website, entitled "Regulations on the Permission and Administration of the Employment of Foreign Workers":

Article 31 Should a Foreign Student as referred to in Article 30 have been officially enrolled in a school to take courses for 1 (1) semesters or more in a division, department, or graduate institute thereof, or to take language course(s) for one (1) year or more, and have had an outstanding performance in academic accomplishments, and should the school in which he/she is enrolled have acknowledged the existence of any of the following factual situations, the said Foreign Student may engage in jobs relevant to the course(s) he/she takes and language he/she learns:
1. It is proved by concrete evidence that the financial situation of the said Foreign Student is unable to continuously sustain his/her studies and living.
2. The teaching or researching unit of the school in which the said Foreign Worker is enrolled is in need of his/her assistance and participation in teaching or researching work.
3. The said Foreign Student has to engage in off-campus practical training related to the course(s) he/she takes.
Foreign students who meet one of the following qualifications are not restricted by the provisions as referred to in the previous Paragraph:
1. Foreign Students with exceptional specialty in a foreign language, with the ad hoc approval by the Ministry of Education, after his/her enrollment in the school, to work on a part-time basis as a teacher in that language in a subsidiary language center affiliated with a University/College or with a foreign culture and education organization stationed in the Republic of China.
2. Foreign Students enroll in a graduate institute and have been approved by the school in which the said Foreign Workers enroll to conduct relevant researching work.

http://laws.mol.gov.tw/eng/EngContent.asp?MsgID=320

This appears to be the original Chinese version of the translated excerpt above, bearing the Chinese title "雇主聘僱外國人許可及管理辦法," and taken from the Ministry of Labor website:

第三十一條
 前條外國留學生正式入學修習科、系、所課程一學期或語言課程一年以上,成績優良,且
 經就讀學校認定具下列事實之一者,得從事與其所修習課程與語言有關之工作:
 一、其財力無法繼續維持其學業及生活,並能提出具體證明。
 二、就讀學校之教學研究單位須外國留學生協助參與工作。
 三、與本身修習課程有關,須從事校外實習。
 外國留學生符合下列資格之一者,不受前項規定之限制:
 一、具特殊語文專長,並經教育部專案核准,入學後得於各大專校院附設語文中心或外國
   在華文教機構附設之語文中心兼任外國語文教師。
 二、就讀研究所,並經就讀學校同意從事與修習課業有關之研究工作。

http://laws.mol.gov.tw/eng/ChiContent.asp?msgid=320
Charlie Jack
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

Postby sewersquid » 01 Jun 2015, 13:28

Horcsog wrote:
sewersquid wrote:I cut grass (with lawnmower) for a local football field in Wanhua for a menial 400 per week (could be 800 if you could do it alone for a football field)
Some students doing part-time job becoming a lab assistant for their professor
If you in NTU, you could go to the OIA and ask for job at the Global Lounge
Handling brochures could land you 100 per hour
You could tutor your course (in English, as some engineering school have exams in English) to some undergraduate students

Of course these jobs only available if you know the person who have the opportunity in the first place. Usually locals, or OIA officers.

Again, why would you mess around with brochures and landmowing when you could teach English in buxibans for 500NT/hour?

@Horcsog:
The thread starter (and me) are not a native speaker of English, so officially cannot moonlight in a buxiban.
sewersquid
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")

Postby Horcsog » 08 Jun 2015, 16:44

Yeah, I asked them too, even though you have that student work permit, if you are not a native-English speaker you can not teach English, sucks :(
Horcsog

In Taiwan since: 23 Aug 2013

Postby Icon » 08 Jun 2015, 17:53

My question -actually, complaint- is that then technically speaking we could teach our native tongues -if there is a market for them- right?

Moreover, because of our non-English tongues are a rarity -scarcity should make things more valuable, as there are less offers- we should command a higher rate, not lower.

Lo and behold, it ain't like that.
Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante. Mafalda.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else.
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby headhonchoII » 08 Jun 2015, 18:21

What can you do with your language ability that can help a business make money? Think like that, explain it to them how you can do it, help them make money, and they'll pay you. Switch the mindset from teacher to sales and there should be quite a few opportunities out there.
Claim to fame: smoothly cruising towards no.11 no.10 on all time greatest poster list.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

Postby cyberguppy » 08 Jun 2015, 18:40

Icon wrote:My question -actually, complaint- is that then technically speaking we could teach our native tongues -if there is a market for them- right?

Moreover, because of our non-English tongues are a rarity -scarcity should make things more valuable, as there are less offers- we should command a higher rate, not lower.

Would demand and supply for the non English language be a factor here?
cyberguppy
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

Postby Icon » 09 Jun 2015, 09:54

cyberguppy wrote:
Icon wrote:My question -actually, complaint- is that then technically speaking we could teach our native tongues -if there is a market for them- right?

Would demand and supply for the non English language be a factor here?

Yes. There is a large demand, but mostly they make do with English. Or hiring a US passport holder who last received the foreign language in question when in high school, because, you know, it is the English alphabet and all that jazz.

However, it doesn't help that we ourselves erode the market. Same as when English teachers accept less than 650 NTD an hour. Then everyone starts making 440 NTD or less an hour and wonders how they got there.
Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante. Mafalda.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else.
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby Novaspes » 23 Nov 2015, 14:03

schwanification wrote:Thanks for all the replies, you've all been very helpful. :)
When I wrote this post I felt really hopeless and like I was alone in the world. But then I reached out to people for help and received a lot in response. I decided that it's worth it to stay and continue, even if I'll have to work really hard. I spent all week finding solutions and I can work starting September, there are part-time jobs in university too. I'm sending curricula anyway to find other ways and some relatives will help me when I can't cover something.

Like Blaquesmith said, going back to Italy it's not an option. All my friends are abroad or finishing their studies because it is really hard to get a job, even in restaurants or supermarkets. Ten times better to risk it here than to have no future back there. And I like Taiwan, I studied Japanese and Chinese in university so this is really the best place for me to be. It's also starting to feel like home.
Thanks again for all the advises :notworthy: :)

Have you tried to contact the Italian school "ITALIA OGGI" and the Italian department at FuRen University? These are the places where my first housemate, who had a professional profile similar to yours, used to work. She used to get by quite well, too.
Novaspes
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Return to Living in Taiwan