Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Ben & Jerry Ice Cream RTMart Ripoff

Moderator: Tempo Gain

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Ben & Jerry Ice Cream RTMart Ripoff

Postby Hakkason4 » 30 Oct 2015, 16:43

Despite RT Mart advertising of 2 for 1 Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream sale, during 2nd day of sale, Hsinchu RT Mart (near TsingHua) was selling at former prices - master price list in computer hadn't been updated (nationally???) even by the 2nd day. How many people were ripped off?? But for my sharp wife, we would have lost NT 750. Response: Bu hao esa. Another example of Consumer Protection Deterrence Failure.

Photos: https://goo.gl/photos/HTbjcYXK41JqrkqJ9
Hakkason4
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
In Taiwan since: 0- 0-1994

Re: Ben & Jerry Ice Cream RTMart Ripoff

Postby hansioux » 31 Oct 2015, 09:52

Went to the one downtown (Nanya store), and picked one up. Some RT mart employee came running to tell me it's buy one get one free... So I picked up another one, even though I don't have the space in my freezer. Had to eat a whole tub afterwards. It was worth it though...
Don't confuse me with your reasonableness.
hansioux
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

In Taiwan since: 30 Jun 2006

Postby Tempo Gain » 31 Oct 2015, 20:11

There's always space in the freezer for ice cream.

"Being alive is the meaning." -- Joseph Campbell

"Well I don't guess it has to be, but that's the way we like it." -- Roger Waters

There's only one thing left for me to do momma I gotta ding a ding dang my dang a long ling long
Tempo Gain
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

Postby hansioux » 02 Nov 2015, 11:18

Tempo Gain wrote:There's always space in the freezer for ice cream.

That used to be the case, but now it filled with cat food...
hansioux

Postby Icon » 02 Nov 2015, 11:22

hansioux wrote:
Tempo Gain wrote:There's always space in the freezer for ice cream.

That used to be the case, but now it filled with cat food...

:eh: You are not putting the kibble in the fridge, are you?
Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante. Mafalda.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else.
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby hansioux » 02 Nov 2015, 11:25

Icon wrote: :eh: You are not putting the kibble in the fridge, are you?

been given my cat frozen raw meat...

heard it helps cats get enough water.
hansioux

Postby Icon » 02 Nov 2015, 11:47

hansioux wrote:
Icon wrote: :eh: You are not putting the kibble in the fridge, are you?

been given my cat frozen raw meat...

heard it helps cats get enough water.

Yep, way healthier.
Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante. Mafalda.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else.
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby 41783 » 02 Nov 2015, 14:27

Hakkason4 wrote:Despite RT Mart advertising of 2 for 1 Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream sale, during 2nd day of sale, Hsinchu RT Mart (near TsingHua) was selling at former prices - master price list in computer hadn't been updated (nationally???) even by the 2nd day. How many people were ripped off?? But for my sharp wife, we would have lost NT 750. Response: Bu hao esa. Another example of Consumer Protection Deterrence Failure.

(My apologies to all those wonderful off-topic Forumosans who changed the OP's thread to a cat kibble thread. This is on topic, and for that I am so, so sorry.)

As of 10 years ago, when I moved to Taipei from Hsinchu, the RT-Marts island-wide were separately owned and would not acknowledge each other's member cards.

The printed material in Taipei makes it clear that the sale prices are for RT-Marts #1 & #2 in Neihu and the one on Ba-De Rd. Other stores may have their own sales.

Again, I'm not current on the ownership model, but when I lived in Hsinchu there were 2 stores, with the second one having originally been a Ya-Tai (Asia Pacific, with an elephant logo). I had a Ya-Tai member card but one day was told AT THE CHECKOUT COUNTER that I needed to change my card or I couldn't get the sale prices. I asked why they didn't post a notice at the front door or mail me a notice and they shrugged. I then brought my shiny new Hsinchu RT-Mart card to Taipei where it was promptly rejected.

Thank you for the heads up on Ben & Jerry's. Maybe, or maybe not, it can be found in Taipei.
==========
"These wretched little demons, they are eternal. They have always been here. And they exist to deliver but one message: If you're not conscious, if you don't pay attention, if you don't fill your cup to brimming every single day with laughter and paradox, love and possibility, if you don't deeply appreciate the madhouse irony of this completely gorgeous, impossibly ruthless human experiment, well, they will but fester like a sore on your big toe, and you'll no longer be able to dance. "
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

In Taiwan since: 17 Apr 1983

Postby hansioux » 02 Nov 2015, 15:03

Back in June, when summer just began, RT Mart and Wellcome had freezers filled with Ben & Jerry's. I recall having a conversation about B&J at Wellcome last year with very few flavors and most were unpopular flavors in the US. This time around it was different. We had Chunky Monkeys, Phish Food, Cherry Gracia and all the B&J favorites. Last week, when the buy one get one free sale was on, there were only 3 flavors left on the shelves, blueberry, cookie dough, and a last tub of chocolate fudge brownie.

So it seems like these stores are only stocking B&J ice creams one or twice a year. If so we probably have to wait until next June to see any B&J's again, at least for those of us outside of Taipei.
hansioux

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Living in Taiwan