Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Smoking outside restaurants

Moderator: Tempo Gain

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Re: Smoking outside restaurants

Postby tmz_99 » 02 Nov 2015, 15:12

Meh.. there's a bunch of stuff that isn't good for you.. alcohol / fatty foods / sugary foods / suntanning, etc, etc, etc.... Let people be the lords of their own demise, and likewise, let owners of bars/restaurants be able to set their own rules. If you don't like it - you can vote with your feet and go elsewhere, if the owner loses enough business they may change their policy, or not.... whatever......

I'm also an ex-smoker but other than people smoking right next to me, I don't see the gripe.. it's their lives..... Typically western governments start with smoking, then crack down on drinking, then try to get people to eat healthier - is it better for us? sure.. longevity increases - but is a life bored, bowing to a nanny state a life worth living? :/...
tmz_99
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

Postby afterspivak » 02 Nov 2015, 16:24

Yup, that's right man. This thread is all about the tyrannical behavior of the nanny state. I've seen heaps of this in Hsinchu, where your forumosan ID says you're located. :)

But please don't let this slow you down. Carry on.

Guy
afterspivak
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)

Postby spaint » 02 Nov 2015, 16:55

Andrew0409 wrote:Don't eat there if you don't like it thn. I always felt like restaurants and bars are privately owned places, if the owners allow smoking on their property, it's their place.

This is irrelevant. The law's been in place for six or seven years now. I didn't bitch about the smoke filling the restaurants before they banned it because if I didn't want smoky restaurants I could choose not to eat out. Now the place is supposed to be smoke-free I'd like to enjoy my smoke-free eating, thank you very much.

Andrew0409 wrote:Why don't you grow a pair and tell them to move if it bothers you so much?

It's not my responsibility to enforce the laws - if there's a law to be enforced. And even if there isn't a law, if you have a no-smoking, child-friendly premises that has smoke blowing in across half the floorspace, you've missed the point of why smoking is banned in your restaurant.

hannes wrote:As far as I know there is a law saying that you are not allowed to smoke within 10 meters of a building in Taipei. I don't think anyone knows about it or does care.

Can you find the law? I can't find anything except the law about how far from the doors the outlet pipe for a smoking room should be.

I'm completely frustrated by the situation and it's infuriating.

Yes, I could vote with my feet, but that's not the point. The point is that the situation is completely ridiculous. There has to be a distance within which one can't smoke near the door - the door staff agreed that I can't smoke with my face in the doorway, but couldn't understand where a line should be drawn. Some of the other staff there aren't happy about it but they claim they can't do anything. I'm pretty sure there are a number of things that could be done: installing an air curtain at the door, placing fans outside to blow smoke away from the door, or wow - here's a thought: BANNING smoking on the covered porch area - but none of them will get done while their central management doesn't give a shit about it and while no one can produce a law about how far away from the door you have to be.
spaint
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby ranlee » 02 Nov 2015, 17:39

RickRooney wrote:Im not sure about the rest of the world but in uk smoking stopped being cool like 20 yrs ago? Taiwan is so far behind in this matter. There are so many young people here who seem to think they are cool when smoking. Couldn't be farther from the truth..

My god, it's still the "cool" thing amongst high school kids.

This one time I was walking to my scooter and a huge group of kids, mostly boys, were outside of their buxiban, smoking. I saw one kid take a quick puff of one and it NEVER entered his lungs. Straight into his mouth and straight back out. I found this hilarious, but good for him? He's doing it wrong, thus maybe saving his lungs? Not so fun when he blew it straight into my face when I walked by though. :grrr: :grrr:
ranlee
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

Postby Hopfrog » 02 Nov 2015, 20:28

What tends to infuriates me is extremely immature and self entitled people who fail to understand the utlity of the law and the need to simply respect it.

If you don’t agree with a particular law it is YOU who need to choose another place to live where this law doesn’t exists or just "grow a pair" as you so elegantly said in a previous post, take the street and complain about it in order to change it.
Hopfrog
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

In Taiwan since: 02 Nov 2009

Postby spaint » 02 Nov 2015, 20:31

Hopfrog wrote:just "grow a pair" as you so elegantly said in a previous post

In fairness, that was echoing my initial complaint directed at staff who won't tell people not to smoke in the doorway because it would cause the smokers to have a bad time or infringe upon their rights or something (and the hell with the rights of the occupants of the restaurant to enjoy a smoke-free atmosphere).
spaint

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby Rocket » 02 Nov 2015, 21:06

If you want to go off on someone, go off on the resto itself.
They're clearly endeavoring to accommodate the (approximately) 30% of their clientele who like to slip out for a smoke undercover from the weather.
It would be easy for them to declare that whole front area off limits to smokers.
But they're catering to the trade, as businesses tend to do.
Ain't NO thing like me.
'Cept ME.

Lesson number one: Assume everybody wants to hit you.

Hey! Hey! Start shooting!!
At what?
The NAZIS, dumbfuck!!!
Rocket
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

Postby spaint » 02 Nov 2015, 21:26

Rocket wrote:If you want to go off on someone, go off on the resto itself.

I did. But I'd like to know if there's an actual law I could have waved at them - I guess there isn't.

Rocket wrote:They're clearly endeavoring to accommodate the (approximately) 30% of their clientele who like to slip out for a smoke undercover from the weather.
It would be easy for them to declare that whole front area off limits to smokers.

And that's exactly what they should do, in order to protect the rights of the 70% who aren't smoking in a non-smoking environment. If it's so easy they should do it right away instead of making excuses FOR the 30%.
spaint

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby afterspivak » 02 Nov 2015, 21:32

It's no doubt frustrating when the "rule of law" (such as it is) is not always exactly in every way enforced in Taiwan. This situation goes well beyond the attitude of certain staff members at Friday's.

One thing that I have figured out after being here long enough is this: Taiwan is a highly uneven place, with a wide range of styles, attitudes, and ways of doing things. Here's an anecdote to explain what I mean.

A few years ago, I stepped into a branch of a popular burger place in the Shi-Da area (let's call it "Evan's Burgers"). I arrived for an early lunch, and the place was almost empty, except for a couple seated at the bar. I indicated to the staff I was eating alone. Without a moment's hesitation, the staff directed me to sit at the bar immediately next to the only two customers in the otherwise empty shop. I pulled back and asked if further down the bar would be OK? For me it was bizarre and uncomfortable to be seated like this, lined up in a row, in an empty shop. No, the staff insisted that I sit immediately next to the other patrons. Why? "Other people might come later." Their interests were put ahead of my basic comfort. I handed back the menu and walked out, telling them I was no longer interested in their burgers. I have not been back.

There are heaps of fabulous places with amazing people and good food and thoughtful service around. Find some you like. Support them. Feel comfortable (and smoke free!). Try it. You might like it.

Guy
afterspivak

Postby headhonchoII » 02 Nov 2015, 21:43

Haha the old 'got
Your money in the bag now treat you second class ' move is common in restaurants and other businesses in Taiwan. Pure greed
To be honest
To be fair the OP is right to be aggrieved and is casting around for a solution, people
Who say just accept it should be thrown in a pool
Of pigs swill and told that's your dinner and just accept
It.

But yes the only practical way to deal
With spineless management is to move on to a healthier cleaner
Spot.
Claim to fame: smoothly cruising towards no.11 no.10 on all time greatest poster list.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Return to Living in Taiwan