Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Some 31.4 percent of elementary and junior high school students in Taiwan have been hit by family members,

Moderator: Tempo Gain

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Some 31.4 percent of elementary and junior high school students in Taiwan have been hit by family members,

Postby tango42 » 20 Nov 2015, 06:43

Sad... the children are getting abused more than the stray dogs who have a nice safe home to go to our at least someone that finds them and feeds them.
http://m.focustaiwan.tw/news/asoc/201511180035.aspx

Also a bit troubling that all the money that is spent on stray dogs isn't immediately moved to help abused children.

But hey people do what they do that makes him feel good.
“Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson
tango42
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Re: Some 31.4 percent of elementary and junior high school students in Taiwan have been hit by family members,

Postby Ermintrude » 20 Nov 2015, 07:58

Well, we all do what we can, charity-wise. There's always someone who needs money more, if you choose to look at it that way. I'm going to a thing for a kids' charity who are looking for $$$ for hearing aids which you could argue is a lot less important than protecting kids from violence. Cats aren't more important that children but they're still important. Give money to both if you can afford it.

It's frustrating when you see how fucked in the head people are and that we can't fix it, more than a tiny bit.
'And we'll hide from the cunts, on our night reconnaissance'.
Ermintrude
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)

Re: Some 31.4 percent of elementary and junior high school students in Taiwan have been hit by family members,

Postby hansioux » 20 Nov 2015, 09:35

Hit as in thinking they are disciplining the kids or just whaling on them as demented psychos?

Not that I support beating as a disciplinary method, but many Taiwanese still believe in it, and as long as it is measured and controlled, like "hey, you've done this bad thing, I'm gonna slap your hand once, if you do it again, I'm gonna slap your hand twice," it shouldn't be considered abusive, as opposed to Homer Simpson's "why you little! I'm gonna beat the crap out of you," situation.

Speaking as someone who had a teacher who thought biting my arm and sticking a pen into my arm are some form of punishment.
Don't confuse me with your reasonableness.
hansioux
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

In Taiwan since: 30 Jun 2006

Postby Steve4nLanguage » 20 Nov 2015, 09:56

hansioux wrote:Speaking as someone who had a teacher who thought biting my arm and sticking a pen into my arm are some form of punishment.

WTF?! :eek:
People are buying an exotic, hairy, white-skinned person who makes strange noises, and that's what they're selling to the parents, too. — ironlady
Steve4nLanguage
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)

In Taiwan since: 15 Apr 2008

Postby hansioux » 20 Nov 2015, 10:18

Steve4nLanguage wrote:
hansioux wrote:Speaking as someone who had a teacher who thought biting my arm and sticking a pen into my arm are some form of punishment.

WTF?! :eek:

My parents would beat me with a stick as punishment, in a measured controlled manner. That particular teacher was a little bit nuts. She would beat us children like no body's business. Once she used a metal stir-frying spatula to whale on a classmate of mine, and the spatula broke. She subsequently demanded him to pay and replace her spatula (which he did).

On a side note, that classmate's nickname was Tank, cause he's built like a frigging tank.
Don't confuse me with your reasonableness.
hansioux

In Taiwan since: 30 Jun 2006

Postby Icon » 20 Nov 2015, 10:34

That some families do treat the kids like dogs in the sense of keeping them in a cage and then complaining when they misbehave when they take them out because they never taught them how to behave properly... I sadly agree. That is why most abuse cases happen on summer break/New Year. Families get together... and can't stand it. Basically, parents do not know how to parent, let kids go wild until they -parents- break down and start hitting. Not to mention the ever popular powerless parents abused at work and abused by their own families who take it on their own kids as the only ones weaker than themselves.

Since kids are considered private business, there is little government support -ie. money spent- on stuff similar to our child services or social workers. Hence, abused kids will be taken back to the abuse situations, and abuse cases are ignored by the police as obsolete laws and dinosaur judges combine.

Private investments in shelters is quite limited by what they can legally do. There is fantastic work done by a few organizations out there, but mostly is under the radar as these things bring a lot of face loss and hence to help the kids is very difficult. It is not just a matter of being conscious enough to help, but also being able to help legally.

While in other places like in the ol country teachers are encouraged to speak up and defend their kids, and are trained to spot signs of physical/sexual abuse and even drug use, here the motto is do not ask, study for exams, if a child fails is because he is lazy and must be beaten not because they suffer trauma at home and/or have little support. There is a stigma over single parent households and those kids are normally stigmatized and left behind in the rat race towards exams.

From OPs statement is as if he resents the help being given to stray animals. Sure, it is a lot easier to pick a mange infested flea bag skin and bones limbs missing doggie from the street. A bath and a warm meal perform a miracle of new life. If you think there is opposition against having a stray shelter in the neighborhood, you should see an average neighborhood's reaction to an AIDs children shelter or abused kids halfway home. Many hurdles are faced when trying to legally support that with funds.
Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante. Mafalda.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else.
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby ranlee » 20 Nov 2015, 10:46

What?! Biting you?

I mean, I've heard of one bamboo stick slap for every deducted point from 100, but biting? If I knew it'd be coming I'd probably sprinkle black pepper on the area of bite the morning of.
ranlee
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

Postby kelake » 20 Nov 2015, 13:02

hansioux wrote:Hit as in thinking they are disciplining the kids or just whaling on them as demented psychos?

Not that I support beating as a disciplinary method, but many Taiwanese still believe in it, and as long as it is measured and controlled, like "hey, you've done this bad thing, I'm gonna slap your hand once, if you do it again, I'm gonna slap your hand twice," it shouldn't be considered abusive, as opposed to Homer Simpson's "why you little! I'm gonna beat the crap out of you," situation.

Speaking as someone who had a teacher who thought biting my arm and sticking a pen into my arm are some form of punishment.

In my high school 1 teacher would throw things at you if you kept screwing up. It hurt. In elementary their was of course "the strap", where repeat offenders who leave a room with dark red marks on their hands. It worked for most.
--
kelake
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

In Taiwan since: 01 Sep 1998

Postby Greikos » 22 Nov 2015, 21:40

A writing prompt asking to explain a time of sadness: all of them turned in assignments mentioning family abuse, the lack of love from their parents, and just a general misunderstanding of why they were being struck. Needless to say, I felt pretty depressed that day after reading them.
Greikos
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby Chris » 22 Nov 2015, 22:11

What does "hit" include? An open-handed swat on a clothed behind (spanking), or more serious stuff like closed-fist hits, or beatings with some kind of object (sticks, belts, etc.)?
Chris
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Return to Living in Taiwan