Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Brawl @ the Xinzhu Pig & Whistle - 7 Foreigners injured

Moderator: Tempo Gain

Forum rules
We hope that the Living in Taiwan forum will be of value to you and others. To ensure this, please note:

It is best to capitalize topics and to avoid vague titles. “Hi, I’m new” and “Help please” are examples of bad titles.

Before posting, please check the FAQ thread, and – more importantly – use the search function to ensure that your topic has not been discussed before and that there is not an existing thread you could update with your contribution.

While Living in Taiwan is a busy, wide-ranging forum, there are other specific forums for relationships, teaching, business, legal issues, animals, food, events, travel, restaurants, and so on. Check the Forumosa menu to find the most appropriate place for your post.

While it is preferable to post questions dealing with dissimilar topics in separate threads (“How Much for an Apartment in Tianmu?”, “Are There Many Foreigners in Tianmu?”), if you are a new arrival, it is possible to present numerous questions in one post, but realize that your thread will then, after two weeks, be merged into the New to Taiwan: Some Questions thread.

Postby almas john » 24 May 2004, 00:11

"What is this "apply daily" many of you speak of?"

It's a Chinese-language paper, very tabloid in style but much larger. It has an apple on the front so you can't miss it - available in most convenience stores. Personally, I think it is a waste of trees. (Of course, I can't read bloody Chinese so I would say that, wouldn't I? :lol: ).
almas john
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)

Postby lane119 (aka Cola) » 24 May 2004, 00:17

almas john wrote:
"What is this "apply daily" many of you speak of?"

It's a Chinese-language paper, very tabloid in style but much larger. It has an apple on the front so so you can't miss it - available in most convenience stores. Personally, I think it is a waste of trees. (Of course, I can't read bloody Chinese so I would say that, wouldn't I? :lol: ).

Almas John, you can always look at the photos. They tell most of the story. The photos are not in Chinese, Taiwanpsycho.
lane119 (aka Cola)
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)

Postby Grasshopper » 24 May 2004, 06:03

TaiwanPsycho wrote:What is this "apply daily" many of you speak of?
[/i]. :cool:

Go to any breakfast shop. They'll have many copies on their tables. The 7-11's, High Life's etc will have large stacks of them near the counters.
Sweetness is a virtue
and you lost your virtue long ago,
You know I'd like to hurt you
but my conscience always tells me no
Grasshopper
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

Postby skeptic yank » 24 May 2004, 06:23

aristotle, the sun is shining! you got some hay to make!
Missouri loves company
skeptic yank
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

Postby skeptic yank » 24 May 2004, 07:34

for international folks outside of Taiwan: "apple daily" is the newest rumor sheet to be released in Taiwan. big pictures, big graphics, big stories equal big circulation. take a tabloid back home and hype it up everyway many times over and you'll have a good idea of what the apple daily means to taiwanese.
Missouri loves company
skeptic yank

Postby marcelk » 24 May 2004, 07:52

kelake wrote:This is a horrible thing to happen. It especially hits home since I live so close to that pub.

I don't know what to think of it. Sounds like
a good excuse to start avoiding upstairs P&W.
marcelk
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby Tigerman » 24 May 2004, 07:55

spook wrote:Tigerman,

in Taiwan, if someone comes at you with a bat and you're unarmed and you rope them and kill them, what should your next step be?

Leave the scene asap.
As it is, we seem to regard it as a positive objection to a reasoner that he has taken one side or the other. We regard it (in other words) as a positive objection to a reasoner that he has contrived to reach the object of his reasoning. We call a man a bigot or a slave of dogma because he is a thinker who has thought thoroughly and to a definite end.

Tigerman
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby Durins Bane » 24 May 2004, 08:28

almas john wrote:Durin's Bane
Size or sex doesn't matter, it is technique.

Then why do martial arts have sex/weight divisions?

That's for competition matches.
Guns don't kill people...magic missles do.

My first level orc is smarter than your honor student.
Durins Bane
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)

Postby bobdobba » 24 May 2004, 09:10

Michael Botti - Good on you. I totally agree with everything you say.

The truth is that as long as we're a recognizable group here we had better act like a group. If people are willing to beat us up because we're foreigners then we'd better be willing to fight back collectively. If you're small or a (non-martial arts trained) girl, then that means giving the people who are down some much earned pain. If you're a decent sized guy then that means stepping in to fight if you see your own being attacked.

Danny, I totally relate to your felings of guilt - there was an incident at the Seduce bar in Taichung last weekend that did not go so far as violence but came very close. I held back too, but that was a mistake. I realize that the next time I see something going down, I need to tell other people what's going down as fast as I can and stand shoulder to shoulder. Or it might be my head on the bat next time, or worse yet my wife's.

At the same time, you did some very useful things, so don't beat yourself up too much. Just keep in mind the lessons for next time.
My Blog <a href="http://s92849791.onlinehome.us/mt/">Greetings From the Antipodes</a>. Daoism, Taiwan life, pictures, and more.
bobdobba
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

Postby Comrade Stalin » 24 May 2004, 09:12

tigerman wrote:
spook wrote:Tigerman,

in Taiwan, if someone comes at you with a bat and you're unarmed and you rope them and kill them, what should your next step be?

Leave the scene asap.

Good advice......but you left out the part about taking the first flight out of Taiwan. :lol:
"I got very well acquainted with Joe Stalin, and I like old Joe! He is a decent fellow." - Harry Truman after the Potsdam Conference
Comrade Stalin
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Return to Living in Taiwan